Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Requirements for Apple to replace screen on PB17

Requirements for Apple to replace screen on PB17
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2006, 09:50 AM

I have a revA PB17 whose AppleCare is going to run out the end of March.

Over the past 2+ years, this screen has slowly accumulated several stuck pixels (all off) around the screen. Last check, I think it was 4 (could be up to 6, some of the dark areas seem larger than others, suggesting two adjacent defective pixels).

Anyone have a good feel for what the guidelines are for Apple to fix these screens? I'll probably take it into an Apple Store anyway before Apple Care runs out, but I wanted to get your feedback first in case they give me the run around.

Thanks!

SCE

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2006, 10:33 AM

I don't know an exact number, I think it kind of depends. I would assume that 6 is way too few to justify a replacement. Mine was replaced 3 times because each time it had more than 30 pixel problems. Dont feel too bad about 6, that isn't bad at all

iMacfan
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 03:50 PM

I'd say that 6 was pretty bad - my 12" has none (I know it's much smaller), and my 18" Samsung desktop display only has one dead subpixel - download LCD screen tester and check to make sure, but 6 should be enough for a swap, if it's worth the downtime and hassle for you.

David.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
I'd say that 6 was pretty bad - my 12" has none (I know it's much smaller), and my 18" Samsung desktop display only has one dead subpixel - download LCD screen tester and check to make sure, but 6 should be enough for a swap, if it's worth the downtime and hassle for you.

David.
The real concern I had was the rate of appearance of these dead pixels. At one time, this display was dead-pixel free [it's actually an Apple replacement, that's another story]. Once I received the new display, I checked.

Then, about a year later, I tried to remove a spot on the screen -- turns out, it was a pair of stuck pixels. Then a second pair appeared a few months later. I was under the impression that these were more defects generated at the factory, and that if they started to appear, there might be a long-term problem.

I've ordered a MacBook pro, once that arrives and data is transfered over, I can tolerate the downtime.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2006, 08:12 AM

I say sell it and get out while you can!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

pete
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 02:05 PM

yeah, that's a great and ethical idea: sell it to a poor buyer who knows nothing about the problem and who will just have to deal with when the dead pixels increase! I think you should call Apple and tell them that the dead pixels are increasing in number and that you would like to have that fixed. Once it's fixed, sell it.

I have Apple's detailed specifications on acceptable dead pixels - if you give me your email, I'll send the relevant pages to you.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by pete
yeah, that's a great and ethical idea: sell it to a poor buyer who knows nothing about the problem and who will just have to deal with when the dead pixels increase! I think you should call Apple and tell them that the dead pixels are increasing in number and that you would like to have that fixed. Once it's fixed, sell it.

I have Apple's detailed specifications on acceptable dead pixels - if you give me your email, I'll send the relevant pages to you.
Ethical, shmethical. You disclose the pixel count and unload it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

pete
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2006, 09:10 AM

Two ok scenarios:

1) disclose the pixel count and the fact that it has been increasing steadily. Say that you don't know if this will continue, thus the lower price.

2) Get it repaired by Apple (they will repair it -I'll send you their internal specs) and sell it to a customer for as much as the market will pay. Both sides happy.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2006, 01:02 PM

I'm not sure how unusual it is that pixels fail in general use. I was surprised to see them appear, and that's why I noted it.

I'm planning on keeping this machine for some time to come as my main PowerPC backup machine after my mactel arrives. I still have one software I need that runs in Classic only. But if I were to sell it or even give it away, I'd disclose such things as dead pixels (and when and where they appeared).

pete
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2006, 02:29 PM

Apple's internal guidelines are as follows (according to service manual)

1. Acceptable number of subpixel anomalies:

Bright subpixel anomaly: subpixel that is always on
Dark subpixel anomaly: subpixel that is always off

Bright - up to 3
Dark - up to 5
combination - up to 7

2. If the number of subpixel anomalies exceeds the acceptable number listed in the above, replace
the display assembly:

Bright: 4 or more
Dark: 6 or more
Combination: 8 or more.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2006, 02:45 PM

Thanks, pete.

Forum Links
Forum Rules