Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Windows Printing Problem

Windows Printing Problem
alex720l
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 06:53 PM

I have set up a small office network using a Netgear FVS318 router connecting three windows xp boxes and one sawtooth mac running panther.
The windoze boxes can share printers fine but when I try to print to a windoze printer from the mac I get the following message "Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR: connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
When I added this printer I was asked for the name and password for the host windows machine but when I set that computer up, I don't recall setting one so I left the fields blank and just clicked OK. I was then shown the list of printers loaded on that computer so I added the one I wanted and tried to print but got the above message. Help!!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 26, 2004, 09:24 PM

How did you share the printer? Did you just right click on it, click "Sharing" and go for it, or did you use the wizard? Those wizards tend to take a lot on themselves, and they often set up stuff that you don't intend to use.

I'd go onto the XP machine that the printer is attached to, "un-share" the printer, then restart the machine. Now, open "Printers and Faxes," right click on that printer, and click on "Sharing." Select the radio button for "Share this printer..." and enter a name in the box. Restart again. I'd also restart the Mac, just to make sure it knows there's something different-it's probably not required, but it couldn't hurt to start clean.

It should now be trivial to connect to that printer using LPR (aka IP) printing. Be aware that you NEED to specify a buffer that the HOST COMPUTER understands. "LPT1" is a good choice-and keep it all uppercase.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

alex720l  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
How did you share the printer? Did you just right click on it, click "Sharing" and go for it, or did you use the wizard? Those wizards tend to take a lot on themselves, and they often set up stuff that you don't intend to use.

I'd go onto the XP machine that the printer is attached to, "un-share" the printer, then restart the machine. Now, open "Printers and Faxes," right click on that printer, and click on "Sharing." Select the radio button for "Share this printer..." and enter a name in the box. Restart again. I'd also restart the Mac, just to make sure it knows there's something different-it's probably not required, but it couldn't hurt to start clean.

It should now be trivial to connect to that printer using LPR (aka IP) printing. Be aware that you NEED to specify a buffer that the HOST COMPUTER understands. "LPT1" is a good choice-and keep it all uppercase.
Thanks. I'll try that ASAP.
The only thing I don't understand is "specify a buffer that the host computer understands." Could you elaborate or will it be obvious once I go in to make the changes?
Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by alex720l:
Thanks. I'll try that ASAP.
The only thing I don't understand is "specify a buffer that the host computer understands." Could you elaborate or will it be obvious once I go in to make the changes?
Thanks
Once you start installing the network printer on your Mac, it should ask for a buffer (or spooler-I forget which)name.

alex720l  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 01:06 PM

Well I tried your suggestions but am still coming up short. I tried adding the printer using the windows printing option in printer setup utility and the ip printing option.
Using the ip printing option in the printer address field I entered the ip address of the host computer. It never did ask for a buffer.
I can't figure out what the problem is especially since panther is supposed to be the most windows friendly mac os to date.
Any other suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Thanks

mpic
Mar 7, 2004, 01:25 PM

I have a iMac FP with a HP printer attached to it. The iMac is on a small network (netgear wireless 4 port switch) with another older iMac, a PC and 2 laptops 1 PB Lombard and one PC laptop. I cant make the PC laptop( setup wireless) print through the FP imac? It sees the printer on the network but as I connect it asks for a password to access, my system password wont work so no connection is allowed. I reset all the print share stuff on the iMac running panther but still cant get it any suggestions?
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]iMac G5 1.6GHz 768MB ram Dual Monitors
Powerbook Lombard 333Mhz[/FONT]

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 8, 2004, 10:45 PM

Well, we're off the map with Samba as far as I'm concerned. It's almost always just worked for me, and when it didn't, I tried a few things, like what I mentioned, and then it did. This looks like a job for (super hero music here)SambaGuru! Too bad I'm not him. Sorry.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2004, 08:06 PM

What kind of printer? What is the OS of the computer that is sharing it? How is it connected to that PC?

If your printer supports it you can bypass the Samba method and use regular ip printing.

alex720l  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
What kind of printer? What is the OS of the computer that is sharing it? How is it connected to that PC?

If your printer supports it you can bypass the Samba method and use regular ip printing.
HP Laserjet 5si. Windows XP home. Connected via parallel port.

mpic
Mar 9, 2004, 11:58 PM

The computer that the printer is connected to is an iMac 700 running jaguar. It
is connected to the PC laptop via wireless connection (Netgear 4 port wireless router) can see the imac in the network window of the PC but cant connect to it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 08:06 PM

OK here's a general rundown of what you (both) need to do. I am almost positive it will work for alex, but not sure about mpic as I don't know his model of printer.

Copied from an older email exchange with a MacNNer...

One thing to note from the directions below is in step 4 when you pick your driver you'll have to experiment a little. First choose "HP" as the group and then see if your printer shows up in the list of HP printers. If it doesn't, and you know the printer speaks PostScript, you can try the driver mentioned below. If you've got an InkJet you most likely will not get this to work.

> First, this assumes the PC is running Windows 2000 or XP. I will note
> exceptions for Win 98 below.
>
> 1. Install Print Services for UNIX on your PC. Do this by going to
> Add/Remove Programs then Windows Components. Select "Other File and
> Print Services" and choose "Details" to open a dialog. Then Check
> "Print Services for UNIX" and finish the wizard.
>
> 2. Verify that the print server is running by going to Services in the
> Control Panel->Admin Tools. You want to verify that TCP/IP Print
> Server is running.
>
> 3. Now you will be sharing your printer via LPD with the printer share
> name being the printer name in Windows. I changed the name to "Laser"
> to make it easy on me.
>
> 4. Now on the Mac side setup the printer using IP Printing. Put the IP
> address of the Windows machine as the "Printers Address", uncheck "Use
> Default Queue" and put the name of the printer in the box, and select
> ESP->HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1 as the driver.
>
> Everything should work dandy after that.
>
> Win98 Notes:
> Windows 98 does not include the LPD service so you will need to go
> find one online. They range in quality and price from full corporate
> support to simple single host printing.
>

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 08:08 PM

Woops, sorry mpic I didn't pay attention that your printer is plugged into the Mac. I've never tried to share a printer in that direction so I have no feedback.

mpic
Mar 10, 2004, 11:59 PM

Woops, sorry mpic I didn't pay attention that your printer is plugged into the Mac. I've never tried to share a printer in that direction so I have no feedback.
I figured it out. I was running windows 98 and upgraded to 2000, then searched for the mac by ip and the printer showed up there. I installed it on the PC laptop and "badda bing" all works fine and the PC laptop can now print to my iMac or my wife's PC printer. I guess windows 2000 is the trick with Panther and print sharing. By searching by ip l was able to log into my iMac and see all the files with the correct user name and password of course.
But thanks for the effort and help.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by mpic:
I figured it out. I was running windows 98 and upgraded to 2000, ...I guess windows 2000 is the trick with Panther and print sharing.
I guess I should have asked mpic what OS he was running on his PC before I said I was lost; I could have helped in this area.

While you CAN share network printers and share local printers on the network with 98, those functions aren't installed by default with the OS, and they can be a pain to install. Network printing is native in 2000 (which is based on NT4 which has always had network printing by default).

mpic
Mar 11, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
I guess I should have asked mpic what OS he was running on his PC before I said I was lost; I could have helped in this area.

Network printing is native in 2000 (which is based on NT4 which has always had network printing by default).
I have a question about 2000. What are the minimum specs to upgrade to 2000, in other words does the machine have to have a Pentium processor at a certain clock speed?

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 12:54 PM

Windows 2000 can run on a pretty slow machine if you don't ask too much from it. I ran it on a P2/400mhz with 128MB of RAM for a long time. I just didn't do anything with it beyond web browsing and Word.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2004, 09:52 PM

Win2K can get pretty slow without a fairly fast (400MHz or better, P3 or better) processor. On the other hand, I run XP on a P2/300MHz machine with good success. With both OSs, having plenty of RAM helps even minimal processors perform much better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules