Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple iPod Radio Remote [Macworld Official Thread]

Apple iPod Radio Remote [Macworld Official Thread]
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2006, 01:46 PM

Apple announced a new remote with FM tuner for $49.

tooki

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2006, 03:32 PM

from apple.com/pr/
Apple Announces the iPod Radio Remote
Combines Convenience of a Remote Control with FM Radio Capabilities

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO—January 10, 2006—Apple® today announced the iPod® Radio Remote which combines the convenience of a wired remote control with new FM radio capabilities for the iPod nano and fifth generation iPod. The iPod Radio Remote is a convenient way for music lovers to skip tracks and adjust the volume of their iPod even when it’s in a pocket or backpack, and listen to FM radio stations while displaying station and song information on their iPod screen.

“The iPod Radio Remote combines two great features in one elegant product,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “The iPod Radio Remote is both the best remote control and the best FM radio listening experience for iPod.”

In addition to the iPod Radio Remote and the over 2,000 accessories designed for iPod are the iPod AV Connection Kit and the new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones. The iPod AV Connection Kit includes everything needed to connect the iPod to a TV for watching photo slideshows and video, or a stereo system for listening to music, and charges the iPod. The new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones combine the best of the iPod nano Lanyard Headphones and the Apple In-Ear Headphones, providing convenience and style with comfort and sound quality.

Pricing & Availability
The iPod Radio Remote includes a pair of Apple headphones with a shorter cable, perfectly complementing the iPod Radio Remote and will begin shipping immediately for $49 (US). The iPod displays station and song information for stations that support the Radio Data System (RDS). The iPod AV Connection Kit includes an iPod Universal Dock, an Apple Remote, an iPod AV Cable, an iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable and an iPod USB Power Adapter and is compatible with all iPod models with a dock connector for $99 (US). The iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones will be available for $49 (US) and include three different sized caps to ensure the headphones fit comfortably and securely. The above accessories will begin shipping immediately and will be available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2006, 03:55 PM

I for one was very glad to see this. True, I'd rather have something with an LCD screen that shows song titles (and for $50, I would think such a thing would be doable). And I don't have much use for the FM radio feature, but I suppose it's nice to have. Too bad it can't record.

In short, while it's a little underwhelming considering the price, I'm just glad that there is now a decent remote available for the new iPods.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 04:43 PM

$49 for a FM radio?

Can you say disappointed? Why not just roll-in FM into a new iPod?

I bought the the $39 remote for the 1st-gen iPod but that was because that unit was so big. Given the size of the Nano and the 5th-gen this seems overpriced for what it is.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 04:43 PM

I've been thinking of finally buying an iPod, and I was waiting for MWSF to see if there'd be any sort of "speed bump" (size bump?), so I was a little disappointed. Oh well, guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy that 30GB.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by adamschneider
I've been thinking of finally buying an iPod, and I was waiting for MWSF to see if there'd be any sort of "speed bump" (size bump?), so I was a little disappointed. Oh well, guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy that 30GB.
"Hi, I'm Steve, welcomed to my weekly podcast: Super secret Apple rumors, featuring the hotest rumors from your favorite company. The next iPod will be 'huge'...8lbs."

Talk about size bump !

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I for one was very glad to see this.----I don't have much use for the FM radio feature.
Then why are you glad?

This should be included free with the 30gb and 60gb iPods. It will stop all the complaining from critics about it not having a radio built in. I don't know who would get this over a $15 stand-alone FM radio if that is what they want to listen to. If this had been a satellite radio module that would be one thing but this doesn't seem practical. Plus it should have been released quietly on the website not in the middle of a keynote.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

wowok1234
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 09:37 PM

The remote also comes with a pair of white earbuds.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 10:29 PM

There are people such as myself who think that this is the best way to go: offer a radio as an optional accessory: people don't buy iPods to play radio, they buy them to listen to MP3s. Keep them seperate.
Linkinus is king.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Then why are you glad?
Because I happen to think that a remote is a very necessary accessory, and for a while there it looked like there was not going to be one available for the 5G iPods at all. Sure, in a perfect world it would come with the iPod, but that's just not going to happen (and if we're talking about things that should be included, I think an AC adapter is more necessary than a remote). It is pricey, but the old remote was $39 and didn't come with the radio feature, plus it came with the same earphones that the iPod itself came with, which made the cord much too long to actually use with the remote. This one comes with phones with a shorter cord.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 12:04 AM

I bet Griffin will be pleased. Their own radio/remote hasn't been updated for the video iPod and probably won't be now. The main benefit of the Griffin model is the recording capability.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 04:23 AM

I don't care about the radio, but I welcome a decent remote for the iPod and iPod nano.

Charlie 5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 07:18 AM

Thank goodness for that! I was going insane without a remote for the 5G. Does anyone have any idea when this will be in the physical Apple store? I don't know how long it takes for the minor new releases to filter through...

aman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 07:50 AM

Will the Remote work with other Ipod models then video and nano?

Charlie 5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2006, 08:09 AM

No, just the video and nano, at least that's what the Apple site says.

Zim
Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
..... people don't buy iPods to play radio, they buy them to listen to MP3s. Keep them seperate.
this kind of "everyone is like me" comment baffles me... you may not value an all-in-1 device that does mp3 and radio, but many others would.

I for one will not buy another iPod (I own a 3G) until they include a tuner.. or to re-phrase, my next mp3 player WILL have a tuner, and thus may not be an iPod.

Why? simple, I have a

- digital camera
- cell phone
- pda
- mp3 player
- walkman

I don't know what kind of tool belt you wear around to carry your devices, but anything that will intelligently combine any of these devices will get my $$. Pushing the tuner into the mp3 (like 60% of all oher mp3 players offer) is the most sensible combination. (that and I'm amazed no PDA manuf has tried to build in
one of the mini dives that the iPods use... WM2003SE sucks, but Apple abandoned that mkt... if the
storage capacity was there I'd use it as the mp3 player instead.. wouldn't be AS good as iPod, but since
my iPod most often gets left home when the "tool belt" is full, having something with me is infinitely more
useful than not)

What I don't get is why they bundle the headphones... who doesn't already have 5 wasted sets of earbuds laying around by now... chop those and sell for $29.

Mike

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
What I don't get is why they bundle the headphones...
Branding. Every single person walking around with white headphones is another iPod advert.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie 5
No, just the video and nano, at least that's what the Apple site says.
I think it's really crappy of them to do that. Apple always pulls this elitest crap. You have to purchase the latest and greatest to use X accessory.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Branding. Every single person walking around with white headphones is another iPod advert.
True, but as I say above, these headphones are actually a special (shorter) length to make them more usable with a remote control. So it makes sense to include them.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 08:06 PM

if anyone is curious, the shadyside, pittsburgh (and I'd imagine other stores) are carrying the remote in stock (there were a couple dozen out that I saw)... better than the 3-4 weeks shipping that I saw on Apple's site. Now I just have to get enough money selling my 10GB 3G (anyone think I can get upwards of $75?) to offset the 60 GB one. Damn... need more money

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap

No kidding. Walk down the street in any major city ANYWHERE and you'll see those white buds everywhere.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 11:18 AM

Will this thing be available to buy in the UK ever? They aren't on the UK store and I really really want one.

heidilux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 01:17 PM

Ordered it the day of, and just got it in the mail today... pretty quick!! Just wondering if anyone else pulled the thing in two removing from the packaging. It snapped back together easily, but the ease with which it came apart is somewhat worrying.

, heidilux

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by PlacidTubs
Will this thing be available to buy in the UK ever? They aren't on the UK store and I really really want one.
I ordered mine on the Uk store on Tuesday night and it arrive today (it's great by the way)

It is on the front page of the UK store, look down the right hand side in the 'New to the Store' section, or click here :-

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...6FC&nplm=MA070

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 03:25 PM

Yeah I noticed it's on there now. It wasn't on the UK store straight away. On second thoughts I'll think I'll pass, as it's far too expensive. It's still 31 pounds WITH an education discount. Essentially just for a radio. Shame, as I really want a portable radio, and this would have been the most practicle way to get one.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by PlacidTubs
Yeah I noticed it's on there now. It wasn't on the UK store straight away. On second thoughts I'll think I'll pass, as it's far too expensive. It's still 31 pounds WITH an education discount. Essentially just for a radio. Shame, as I really want a portable radio, and this would have been the most practicle way to get one.
You do also get another pair of headphones, so it useful if you need a spare set.

I have been very impressed with it so far.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Charlie 5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 06:18 AM

I know that you need the 1.1 update to use the radio but will the remote work as a remote with 1.0?

I desperately want a remote but I'm not upgrading until they sort it out - I need my video too much!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2006, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie 5
I know that you need the 1.1 update to use the radio but will the remote work as a remote with 1.0?

I desperately want a remote but I'm not upgrading until they sort it out - I need my video too much!
According to someone on The Unofficial Apple Weblog, it will work as a remote even on 1.0.

dazzla
Senior User
Jan 14, 2006, 07:01 AM

I missed my remote so I'm gonna pick one of these up. But I've read it doesn't do radio frequencies in even numbers, only odd, is that the case?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 03:40 PM

Has anyone tried the remote with other models to see if the remote functionality works with these?

Forum Links
Forum Rules