Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM Frequently Asked Questions

RAM Frequently Asked Questions (Page 2)
ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 03:15 AM

Outpost has a great deal for Mushkin 1GB PC2 5300 SO-DIMM for $87.99 (less $20 mail-in rebate) good til 5/25. It's limited to 1 per household, though. It doesn't turn up in their product listings or search -- I found it by chance on their Anniversary Sale list on page 5.

trinlyovarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2006, 03:23 AM

How is Mushkin for quality?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 10:19 AM

Just the name alone scares me.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 08:19 PM

Mushkin is known to make high-performance RAM, with the same credibility as that of Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, et al. They've been around a pretty long time, too. :-) They're pretty synonymous with "overclocking" in the PC world way back since.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2006, 10:57 PM

As a PowerBook 1.67 user - I just purechase 2 1-gb of Ram Kingston from Fry's Outpost for 84.99 each. Installed for five days now, and all is working great. Yea - I waited till the price dropped below 100 { and did it drop - way below }.

this is just a fyi note

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 28, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Just the name alone scares me.
Mushkin is a well-respected brand.

Originally Posted by Shawn_230
Take a look.... I'm pretty sure this'll work for the MBP. I was contemplating these ones myself...
Yup. That seems right, and the comments say it works fine in the MB and MBP. Excellent price.

Anyways, I got my Samsung RAM a few days ago, and this MacBook truly flies with 2 GB. I dunno what it'd be like with only 1 GB (2x512), but I figured I may as well splurge, since my GF often uses my computers but sometimes leaves apps open in the background in her account.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 06:33 PM

What other, if any Macs, can use the 512 I took out of my PowerBook 1.67?

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by oexecbmug
What other, if any Macs, can use the 512 I took out of my PowerBook 1.67?
Muskin will make good swiftly if you should ever have memory difficulties.

We purchased a matched pair of 1gb sticks for our MacBooks from Mushkin and saw remarkable speed increases, especially running XP Pro in Parallels interface.

See: http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/guide/apple/?app=38

There's a guy named Cris Doud in Tech Support (800.569.1868x208) who's the most responsive technician I've ever encountered by phone.

They had a matched pair out overnite to us.

We replaced the Hynix branded 256mb pair standard Apple installed memory with the Mushkin.

MickeyZ
Jun 18, 2006, 07:54 PM

If anyone is interested, I got a 1GB memory stick from Lifetime for my 15" MBP 2.16GHz and it works fine, running at 667MHz.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Jason
Jun 30, 2006, 10:22 AM

Howdy guys,
I was just wondering if anyone uses Cosair ram in their Macbook Pro. I purchased a 1 gig stick today, and I'm now waiting on delivery, although i've read some forums that have stated that the ram doesn't particularly like the MBP's.

So if this really is a widespread issue, maybe someone can tell me and i'll send an email to the shop and tell them that i want to change the order before it gets sent out. Also if anyone has used or does actually use Cosair ram in the MBP, i would really appreciate you letting me know that it works fine! or if it doesn't work at all, please let me know that!

here is a link to the exact ram i purchased:
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/5...lue_Select.asp

Thanks everyone.

Jason.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 07:43 AM

I've just bought and installed a 512MB RAM stick from crucial and I have to say it's made my TiBook feel amazingly quick!

pinktank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 08:01 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146123

get this one, mushkin is a really good brand

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 08:13 PM

With mail in rebate - the price is a sure bet. Memory price keeps getting better every month.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2006, 06:23 PM

Hey guys - Got a quick question about upgrading my ram on my Powerbook 17" 1.5 .. I already have a gig in here, I need to upgrade to 2GB.

Now I know I cant use the DDR ram in the PB in a future MBP or an iMac (or can I?), but if I were to buy a MBP and get 2GB ram for it from Crucial or some place, will I be able to use that same ram in an iMac , mini and Mac?Pro?

JAYGEE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 05:59 PM

Need some help... its time to buy more ram. Its for my Powerbook 5,8 1.67Ghz looking to buy 1 Gig pos. 2. What is the best type of ram for me. Installing my self will this void my warranty.

thanks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 01:14 PM

IMO it is nuts to even consider buying anything but quality RAM from quality vendors. Troubleshooting flaky RAM can cost scores of hours. Personally I have always bought OWC or from Smalldog with a new box.

Apple claims to be changing their RAM pricing policy; I guess we will see when the WWDC announcements show in the Apple Store.

-Allen Wicks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JAYGEE
Need some help... its time to buy more ram. Its for my Powerbook 5,8 1.67Ghz looking to buy 1 Gig pos. 2. What is the best type of ram for me. Installing my self will this void my warranty.
Go to <http://otherworldcomputing.com/> and look it up, or call them.

Installing RAM yourself will not void the warranty as long as you do not break anything.

-Allen Wicks

Crasian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 10:50 AM

Would it make a difference in my 1.25 ghz Powerbook to install a 1 gig ram stick and pair it with my 512? Or should I just get a 512 to make it 2x512.

Is there any optimization either way?
I am fantasy League Champion...the rest
of you are losers!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crasian
Would it make a difference in my 1.25 ghz Powerbook to install a 1 gig ram stick and pair it with my 512? Or should I just get a 512 to make it 2x512.

Is there any optimization either way?
The PowerBook's memory controller doesn't support dual-channel, so matching module size doesn't matter. You're better off with more RAM.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 01:27 PM

Ok here's a question. I bought Mushkin 2GB RAM from newegg for my PB 17" 1.67Ghz. I remember reading that the PB's RAM specs ran at 333Mhz but the RAM I bought runs at 533Mhz:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146440
Is this why my PB keeps on freezing? I am looking at the system profiler and it says the status of both modules are OK and are running at 444...However, I don't know why else the PB would be freezing up/getting kernel panics...
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by iChelle
Ok here's a question. I bought Mushkin 2GB RAM from newegg for my PB 17" 1.67Ghz. I remember reading that the PB's RAM specs ran at 333Mhz but the RAM I bought runs at 533Mhz:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146440
Is this why my PB keeps on freezing? I am looking at the system profiler and it says the status of both modules are OK and are running at 444...However, I don't know why else the PB would be freezing up/getting kernel panics...
No, the clockrate thing has nothing to do with it. Apple went with 533Mhz DDR2 because it's cheap, but the system controller for the G4s only supports running it at 333Mhz.

The crashed are probably from buying cheap low quality RAM. Do they stop when you take the Mushkin out?

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
Mushkin is known to make high-performance RAM, with the same credibility as that of Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, et al. They've been around a pretty long time, too. :-) They're pretty synonymous with "overclocking" in the PC world way back since.
This person says Mushkin is respectable RAM so I was inclined to buy it and didn't think it was "low quality." I haven't taken the Mushkin 2GB out yet but will do a test of the stock RAM when I get a chance...

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2006, 07:31 PM

hi all
i returned the mushkin ram and bought 2GB from owc
1.0GB (1024MB) PC4200 DDR2 SODIMM 200 Pin... (4200DDR2S1GB) at OWC
i am STILL getting freezes and kernel panics when i have multiple apps open. have i really been unlucky with RAM or is it something else?
here is today's freeze:
http://images18.fotki.com/v340/photo...IMG0654-vi.jpg

if anyone could help me figure this out please, i'd really appreciate it. i am tired of going to the store and i have a big design project to do.

thanks in advance
M

edit 8/22:
Good Lord. You'd think third time would be the charm (I went from Mushkin to OWC to Centon). However, I just got a panic a few minutes ago while working on an important project. Luckily I just saved right before that but still. This is the 3rd brand of RAM I've tried and it's STILL freezing up my machine...I guess I must go w/Crucial...sigh...
( Last edited by iChelle; Aug 23, 2006 at 02:31 AM. )

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2006, 06:50 AM

Is there anything I should know before ordering two 1GB Gigaram modules at $84 each and expecting them to make my MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz fly?

Or am I better off with two 1GB Mushkin modules at $99 each?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by iChelle
This person says Mushkin is respectable RAM so I was inclined to buy it and didn't think it was "low quality." I haven't taken the Mushkin 2GB out yet but will do a test of the stock RAM when I get a chance...
Mushkin is name brand RAM - it isn't low quality at all. They also have excellent, generous service and support, a fact to which I can personally attest.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2006, 12:32 PM

That's what I thought too. I've used Mushkin on my other machines before with no problems. For some reason though, my PB 17" is VERY picky w/RAM since I've swapped brands about 3 or 4 times. Finally I chose Crucial and all is well...

pnsji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
What brand to choose?

Crucial is a top-grade vendor. It's not the cheapest, but guaranteed to work. Crucial's parent company (Micron) is one of Apple's RAM suppliers.

Samsung and Hynix RAM, available from many sources, are also some of Apple's suppliers, and of high quality.
This is right on the spot!

My PB 15" (G4 1.33 GHz) comes with 512MB Hynix.

My PB 17" (Latest model G4 1.67GHz, high res) has originally 512 MB -> Hynix
I purchased from apple store 2 GB RAM since I tried a couple brands and my PB keep freezing.
They sold me Samsung RAM and my PB is running smoothly ever since.

My Macbook Pro (2.16 GHz) has 1 GB RAM. I opened it last night, the ram has "M" logo from Micron. I definitely recommend buying OEM brand RAM based on my previous experience.
I just ordered a Crucial ram. hopefully it is exactly the same as the one came with my MBP.

masugu
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 03:08 PM

Gotta agree with BiG Mac, Mushkin is Great RAM and even Greater on customer service. I broached this topic on the MacBook boards in May.

BTW, I lost respect for CRUCIAL recently.

I am building a PC (for gaming) and needed 2 gigs of RAM for my Intel board. Crucial's site spit out some RAM that was the SLOWEST version possible PC 4200. Kingston had the fastest version possible for $25 more - PC 6400!

Beware of Crucial's bad site design. Had I known to scroll, I would have seen other compatible memory, but it was more $$$ than Kinsgston anyway.

Why wouldn't CRUCIAL's site show the best memory - first - as the recommmended choice? Weird.

Sorry for the ramdomness...but in case anyone considers CRUCIAL.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by masugu View Post
Gotta agree with BiG Mac, Mushkin is Great RAM and even Greater on customer service. I broached this topic on the MacBook boards in May.

BTW, I lost respect for CRUCIAL recently.

I am building a PC (for gaming) and needed 2 gigs of RAM for my Intel board. Crucial's site spit out some RAM that was the SLOWEST version possible PC 4200. Kingston had the fastest version possible for $25 more - PC 6400!

Beware of Crucial's bad site design. Had I known to scroll, I would have seen other compatible memory, but it was more $$$ than Kinsgston anyway.

Why wouldn't CRUCIAL's site show the best memory - first - as the recommmended choice? Weird.
Perhaps because most customers are more sensitive to a few percent change in price rather than a few percent change in performance, so the "best" option for the majority is the cheaper, slower modules.

qkslvr
Dec 25, 2006, 06:29 PM

I have a Crucial Question (sorry for the bad pun...).

I looked on the Crucial website for recommendations for my 15" Apple PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, and came up withthis: Model # CT434057

However, on my search for the exact same spec memory (512MB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC2700) on Newegg, those specs came up with this: Model # CT6464X335

I'm a bit more trusting of the Crucial site for two reasons. One, it is the manufacurer's site, and two, because they recommended this for my specific system.

My question to you all is will the Newegg stick work? Or should I get it off of Crucial's site?

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2006, 07:58 PM

The model number from Newegg is the generic 512MB/200pin/PC2700 product number; you can find the same module at Crucial.com if you look. The Crucial product number is for the particular part that is known to work with your PowerBook; they may have more stringent timing or other requirements.

qkslvr
Dec 26, 2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The model number from Newegg is the generic 512MB/200pin/PC2700 product number; you can find the same module at Crucial.com if you look. The Crucial product number is for the particular part that is known to work with your PowerBook; they may have more stringent timing or other requirements.
Will this Newegg stick work in my Powerbook? Should I get it? Or do I have to go with the one off the Crucial site?

qkslvr
Dec 27, 2006, 09:09 PM

Wow, I guess I killed this thread... But that takes skill to kill a sticky...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by qkslvr View Post
Will this Newegg stick work in my Powerbook? Should I get it? Or do I have to go with the one off the Crucial site?
Most likely. If you're willing to accept the risk of it not working. No, you don't have to.

Black_Rain
Jan 2, 2007, 03:57 AM

Does anyone know if I can get 1gb ram for my MBP C2D at Best Buy?

i got a gift card for 200 and have nothing to buy there but ram... thanks in advance

staloysius777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 01:15 PM

Here, here, I've bought from OWC & they're not the cheapest but they are reliable. I always go to RamSeeker.com to check prices & the memory I've gotten from companies on RamSeeker.com has been good MOSTLY but I've gotten a few duds. So, stick w/ the best and if your don't & your mac starts to act funny, suspect the memory 1st! I didn't & ended up re-installing MOSX 15 times - REALLY! - until I finally remembered that the "last" thing I had actually done was install "new" memory and it wasn't my lastest software upgrades that were crashing my beautiful Silver Mirror machine.
--Allen
"There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials." -- St Aloysius Gonzaga

Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dsheetz View Post
I just bought a 1.83 ghz macbook pro and I am experiencing tons of spinning beach balls with safari. I often run a java window in the background while I am surfing (the stattracker from Yahoo fantasy baseball), which could be causing this. My question is, will upgrading the ram from 512mb to 2 gig help solve this issue? I love the new machine, but the web browser performance is pretty subpar to this point, and I'm really hoping more ram will solve it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dan
I dumped Safari a year ago in favor of the best Mac browser yet:
Firefox!

Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2007, 12:57 PM

PB G4 has NEW LIFE!

OWC . overnight 1 gig samsung...2700 $180 included shipping.

Nothin' but Kernel Panic (unusable computer) and crashes, freezes, sneezes.
Now it screams flawlessly!

Go Samsung...Go OWC.

AND...GO BEARS!!!!!!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 12:47 PM

The new Macbooks in default 1GB configuration ship with 2 x 512s or is it now 1 x 1GB?

If I wanted to upgrade to 2GB through Apple, it's currently C$210; a quick check through mushkin says that 1GB modules are US$130.

Thanks.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 01:02 PM

2x512; Apple wants the machines to have the max memory bandwidth.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 08:18 PM

Yup, missed that on the Store page (2 x 512MB default); the upgrade price then to step up to 2GB isn't that bad considering you still have to pay ~$200 for 2GB although you do get to keep the leftovers for something else (Macbook 1.83 users wanting to jump up to 1GB, perhaps?).

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
2x512; Apple wants the machines to have the max memory bandwidth.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 11:48 AM

So,
I have a MacbookPro 2.33 with 2 Gigs of Ram installed.
It says that you have the possibility of installing 3 Gigs though.......????
I thought the Ram was better in Pairs.

Also, Since I have 1 G in each slot I would have to remove one to put in a 2 G....?

What would happen if I put in 2x2 Gig of Ram. So that they worked in Tandem.
Why ismy MBP limited to 3Gigs of Ram........???

Thanks,
J

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2007, 04:25 AM

Sorry if this is obvious, but does the default 2.16 Macbook Pro come with 1GB of RAM plus two empty slots, or with one slot filled? If the latter, why does Crucial recommend buying a pair of 1GB sticks? That would leave me with a useless 1GB stick.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Sorry if this is obvious, but does the default 2.16 Macbook Pro come with 1GB of RAM plus two empty slots, or with one slot filled? If the latter, why does Crucial recommend buying a pair of 1GB sticks? That would leave me with a useless 1GB stick.
The MacBook Pro has two slots. In the 2.16Ghz model, one of them is filled with a 1GB module.
Crucial has no idea what memory you're starting with in your laptop; the best configuration is 2x1GB, so they sell that. But a single 1GB module is also available on the same page:
1GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) Laptop/Notebook, CT613252 from Crucial.com

Originally Posted by bentoon View Post
I have a MacbookPro 2.33 with 2 Gigs of Ram installed.
It says that you have the possibility of installing 3 Gigs though.......????
I thought the Ram was better in Pairs.

Also, Since I have 1 G in each slot I would have to remove one to put in a 2 G....?

What would happen if I put in 2x2 Gig of Ram. So that they worked in Tandem.
Why ismy MBP limited to 3Gigs of Ram........???
Memory installed in pairs gives you more bandwidth, but for some people the capacity advantage of 3GB over 2GB outweighs the speed disadvantage.
Yes, you'd have to remove one of your 1GB modules to insert the 2GB module.
While the chipset supports 4GB (2x2GB) of physical RAM, it can only logically support 3.2GB RAM (due to PCI addressing), so Apple decided to change their firmware to only support 3GB.

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2007, 03:06 PM

I skimmed/briefly search this thread but still have a quick question ...

I have a PB G4 with only 512MB RAM (256 x 2) and want to (finally) upgrade 2GB. I *can* buy 2 sticks (1 MB each) and replace both sticks currently installed, right?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader View Post
I have a PB G4 with only 512MB RAM (256 x 2) and want to (finally) upgrade 2GB. I *can* buy 2 sticks (1 MB each) and replace both sticks currently installed, right?
Yes; in fact, you have to.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2007, 04:23 PM

I am totaly agree with mduell. Go for it..NOW

SirSam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2007, 10:13 PM

OK, I found some similar questions, but nothing that really matched my situation:

Alright, I got a 1.33 15" Powerbook with 512mb (2x256mb). I want to upgrade, but dont have the $$ to go to 2gb right now. I know it would be smarter, moneywise, to buy a 1gb stick so I can upgrade easier later on, but what would be faster: 2x512mb or 1x1gb?

Thanks guys.
------------------------------

SS

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2007, 01:13 AM

The PowerBooks don't support dual channel, so 2x512MB is the same as 1x1GB performance-wise.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2007, 03:16 AM

Dual channel access is completely overrated on the MBP. The few benchmarks that have seen a difference in performance due to dual channel RAM access put it at ~5% in the best case. In everyday tasks that is something you just won't be able to notice.

However, as soon as people experience page outs with 2 GB they have already lost more than they ever will due to single channel access. If you experience page outs with 2 GB RAM the advantage of having more RAM will easily outweigh the marginal benefit of dual-channel memory access.

That said, SR should take care of this for good. We'll be getting 4 GB RAM with dual-channel memory access.

Forum Links
Forum Rules