Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jeter's work ethic

Jeter's work ethic
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 12:25 PM

OK. Those of you who follow baseball have already seen this.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0213/1508357.html
Steinbrenner digging at Jeter for his work ethic.

Really. You know, I am NO Yankee fan. (see this weeks onion for some fun on that).
I can, however appreciate the astonishing ability possessed of each team member- particularly Jeter. Don't get me wrong- he's the antichrist in pinstripes. But for me, that's the only problem. He's in pinstripes. If he were in a Red Sox uniform, he'd be a demigod.
Questioning Jeeter's work ethic? For crying out loud, he's got the ethic of Damon and Garciaparra and baseball could afford to learn more than a few things from him.

Here's hoping Jeter takes that little measure from Steinboober and says, "Right. Well. See ya. I can get a job with ANY team in baseball."
I'd be pretty damned happy if it were MY team.
( Last edited by maxelson; Feb 14, 2003 at 12:31 PM. )

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 12:28 PM

George is just being george. Jeter is probably one of the Hardest working people on the Yankees. He also seems very dedicated to his work.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 12:30 PM

I'll take it one better. Jeter is probably one of the hardest working joes in Baseball.
Jeebus, I love/hate him.
George is a wank.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Feb 14, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Here's hoping Jeter takes that little measure from Steinboober and says, "Right. Well. See ya. I can get a job with ANY team in baseball."
I'd be pretty damned happy if it were MY team.
Yeah, too bad MY team (Brewers) already signed a first rate SS--Royce Clayton. Otherwise we could take Jeter.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

boardsurfer
Feb 14, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
Yeah, too bad MY team (Brewers) already signed a first rate SS--Royce Clayton. Otherwise we could take Jeter.
<simpsons kid> Ha Ha! </>

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 03:42 PM

If he were in a Red Sox uniform, he'd be a demigod...Here's hoping Jeter takes that little measure from Steinboober and says, "Right. Well. See ya. I can get a job with ANY team in baseball." I'd be pretty damned happy if it were MY team.
You need to realize the Yankees' only measure of success is by winning championships.

You'd take Jeter and a good year, whereas the Yankees would rather win a championship, Jeter or not. This helps explain the enormous disparity in championships won by the Yankees and the Red Sox

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 04:21 PM

I think you may be taking my analysis of this a little too seriously.
And, FWIW, I disagree about your assessment as to the ratio of championship titles.
The Yankees play better ball... well, not for the last couple of years, but in general... thassit.

benb
Feb 14, 2003, 04:41 PM

The Yankees play better ball... well, not for the last couple of years, but in general... thassit.
They also have a ton more money than most teams.

Jeter works hard, but I think he is way overrated, because he wears the pinstripes. I'd take Nomar over Jeter anyday. Sure, last season wasn't that good for him, but he is really a better player.

The way I think of Jeter is the way I think of baseball in general, a love-hate relationship. I love him because he is good, hate him for the pinstripes. I love baseball because it is so good, but hate the way it is being managed. Something better happen soon, because the state of baseball right now sucks. Sucks bad. Really bad. Breaks my heart...

Regards,
Ben

This is the year that the Red Sox will win the pennant.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 04:53 PM

ahhhh. A man after my own heart...
There's a Sox fan for ya!

benb
Feb 14, 2003, 06:57 PM

ahhhh. A man after my own heart...
There's a Sox fan for ya!
You in the Boston area? I just hope I am alive to see the Sox win a pennant, which gives them about 60 more years of trying.

Regards,
Ben

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 07:02 PM

I'm a huge Yankee's fan... Living in Massachusetts.

Jeter's an "above average" player who really shines in the post-season. Nomar's a great player, but he plays for the Red Sox, so post-season statistics are moot.

Me: "Hey, who's your favorite Mets player?"

Mets Fan: "Oh, that's easy... Bill Buckner."

BTW, being a Yankee's fan in Massachusetts is a blessing. I can't begin to describe how much my income increased by betting against Red Sox fans. That reminds me, someone still owes me a prime rib dinner...

benb
Feb 14, 2003, 07:15 PM

BTW, being a Yankee's fan in Massachusetts is a blessing. I can't begin to describe how much my income increased by betting against Red Sox fans. That reminds me, someone still owes me a prime rib dinner...
First off, you can die.

Then, you will be happy to note that I also have made quick money betting against the Sox. One would have to be a fool not too. Although I would like it if I bet against them in the post-season and a lost...

Regards,
Ben

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Then, you will be happy to note that I also have made quick money betting against the Sox. One would have to be a fool not too.
Spoken like a true Red Soxs fan

PowerMatt
Senior User
Feb 14, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:
Nomar's a great player, but he plays for the Red Sox, so post-season statistics are moot.
You can thank "THE CURSE of the 'BAMBINO'" for that.
( Last edited by PowerMatt; Feb 14, 2003 at 11:54 PM. )

PowerMatt
Senior User
Feb 14, 2003, 11:53 PM

I love baseball because it is so good, but hate the way it is being managed. Something better happen soon, because the state of baseball right now sucks. Sucks bad. Really bad. Breaks my heart...
What needs to be done?
1. Reduce the schedule. Which may mean reducing the teams. Teams like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Detroit, Montreal, Toronto, and Chicago really take the hit in April and September. Eventhough MKE, TOR, MON & MN have domes/roofs, people just don't go out as much when it is 40 F and rainy. So by reducing the schedule, the season can start later and end earlier.

2. Level the financial playing field. Blue collar-market teams can't financially compete with high-dollar markets (exceptions noted).

3. Get rid of Selig. Being from Milwaukee, I hate him even more. He has done nothing to help the state of baseball in America. The only highlight from his tenure was the 2001 World Series. Other than that, World Series/All Star Games have been boring at best, especially for not-so-avid baseball fans.

4. Get some better marketing. MLB is not marketed at all in Milwaukee. We get the occasional Brewers commercial (the lastest is new manager Ned Yost trying to get fans back to their empty $300 million stadium), but nothing from MLB. If they continue to ignore markets, I don't see the benefit. This makes no sense to be because Selig is from Milwaukee.

Sorry for derailing this topic, but I had to get this off my chest as we head into spring training. I didn't wan t to start my own topic just to rant. Now, back to the Jeter discussion.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 01:59 AM

What needs to be done?
1. Reduce the schedule. Which may mean reducing the teams. Teams like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Detroit, Montreal, Toronto, and Chicago really take the hit in April and September. Eventhough MKE, TOR, MON & MN have domes/roofs, people just don't go out as much when it is 40 F and rainy. So by reducing the schedule, the season can start later and end earlier.
That would be a terrible shame indeed. First of all, the weather in Boston and Cleveland, and, to a lesser extent, Pittsburgh and New York, is downright rotten all through April half the time. A few of those teams don't have any trouble drawing, given a good club to watch. Trust me, Fenway Park can be pretty frigid in the first weeks of the season, but it's still full.

Furthermore, Minnesota and Detroit have a long, long baseball tradition. Heck, Tiger Stadium used to be the oldest park in the majors before they tore it down. Minnesota fans have proven repeatedly that they'll support a good team, too. Contraction was a mistake or a sham, or both.

2. Level the financial playing field. Blue collar-market teams can't financially compete with high-dollar markets (exceptions noted).
i agree, to a point. Clearly, the new rules have not hindered the Yanks much (64 million more than the Sox!!!). They should pay a higher fine, that fine should go to the Kansas Citys and the Pittsburghs, and most importantly, those teams' owners should be forced to spend all of it on players.

3. Get rid of Selig. Being from Milwaukee, I hate him even more. He has done nothing to help the state of baseball in America. The only highlight from his tenure was the 2001 World Series. Other than that, World Series/All Star Games have been boring at best, especially for not-so-avid baseball fans.
i can't hate the guy; if you read about him, it's clear that he loves baseball, and genuinely thinks he's doing the right thing. But that doesn't make him right. i'm not, however, sure i can suggest someone better.

4. Get some better marketing. MLB is not marketed at all in Milwaukee. We get the occasional Brewers commercial (the lastest is new manager Ned Yost trying to get fans back to their empty $300 million stadium),
it's kinda funny to look up information on some of the more struggling teams. As a Red Sox fan, i see way too much of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Out of curiosity one day last year, i looked up ticket prices at Tropicana Field. Naturally, there's lots of cheap seats, but what surprised the hell out of me was that the good seats were as expensive or more than Fenway's (the most expensive, on average, in the majors). No wonder the place is quiet as a tomb. At least Montreal offers tickets for $4 Canadian or something ridiculous like that. And part of it is, a lot of these towns just don't know how to support their teams. Apparently last year, Atlanta fans couldn't even sell out their playoff games. That's just disgraceful.

It's good to have a baseball discussion again after that long winter. And, back on topic, yes, this is the Red Sox' year. Jeter is overrated, but i do not doubt that he does work hard, and it should go without saying that Steinbrenner is a jackass, and a spoiled one at that.

RGB
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 02:17 AM

Thanks for taking him off my precious White Sox's hands for us, the city of Chicago owes you much gratitude!

Seriously though, how many White Sox and Cubs rejects play for the Brewers right now?

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 03:21 AM

This is the year that the Red Sox will win the pennant.
Yes, but will they beat the Cubs?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Ver de Terre:
Yes, but will they beat the Cubs?
What? Did they ressurrect Willie McCovy? or was he frozen like Ted Williams?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

PowerMatt
Senior User
Feb 15, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Thanks for taking him off my precious White Sox's hands for us, the city of Chicago owes you much gratitude!

Seriously though, how many White Sox and Cubs rejects play for the Brewers right now?
The brewers are nothing more than a minor league team playing baseball against major league teams. Their good players get "called up" to better teams, while other teams bad players get "sent down" to the Brewers. If you take a look at the past 5-7 All-Star games, you will notice how many players are former Brewers. Its not because the Brewers grow great young tallent, its because they are not willing to keep great young tallent.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 11:47 AM

You in the Boston area? I just hope I am alive to see the Sox win a pennant, which gives them about 60 more years of trying.

Regards,
Ben
Southern Worcester county. No need to wait. THIS WILL be the year. RIGHT?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 11:54 AM

the year to finish behing NY yankees that is

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 01:01 PM

Yep. There's why I love Yankee fans.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
the year to finish behing NY yankees that is
Agreed. I'm hoping for a (Excuse the Pun) Monster year from the Offense again, and a Great year from the Pitching. Unfortunately they DID weaken there pen I think by not resigning Stanton and Mendoza.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 01:29 PM

Their lineup should be better at least. Hopefully Embree will be able to hold up for an entire season as their new closer. Last year their starting rotation had 3 of the top 4 ERA guys in the league and they still came up short. Wakefield, Lowe and Pedro won't all do that well again at the same time, will they?

What the hell... You're absolutely right max. THIS WILL be the year.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 01:44 PM

Red Sox Fans seem to forget that the Sox still need to find a way to BEAT the Yankees. Until that time there is no way no how the Sox will EVER get to or win a series.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 01:52 PM

oops. friggin db.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 01:56 PM

Well... they did pretty damned well the first two thirds of last season.
Seems to me, the Sox only need to figure out how to finish they way they start.
Red Sox Fans have memories too long. Yankees fans have memories too short.
A little humility would do y'all some good. At least remember it when you're spanked.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 02:57 PM

Well... they did pretty damned well the first two thirds of last season.
Seems to me, the Sox only need to figure out how to finish they way they start.
Red Sox Fans have memories too long. Yankees fans have memories too short.
A little humility would do y'all some good. At least remember it when you're spanked.
Don't worry I remember the Yanks being spanked in the first round this year. Don't worry IF and that is a big IF the Sox were to Spank the Yankees in the playoffs I won't forget it. Humility, I have plenty of it, My Passion for the Yankees is like my Passion for the Mac. Die Hard.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:04 PM

I can respect that. Ditto mine.
Although, I draw the Mac/ Sox analogy: we know we have a better product, we know the competition is evil and we know we are doomed to second place. Well, until this season, anyway.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:06 PM

max, you know I don't know much 'bout this stuff, but I just wanted to say

"Der-ek JEETER!" ::clapclapclap::

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:11 PM

NO-MAR!
NO-MAR!!
NO-MAR!!!

aaaand, of course, our perenial favorite:
rooooooger
rooooooger
rooooooger

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:17 PM

I can respect that. Ditto mine.
Although, I draw the Mac/ Sox analogy: we know we have a better product, we know the competition is evil and we know we are doomed to second place. Well, until this season, anyway.
Thanks that put a smile on my face and made me laugh

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:30 PM

I'm here to help.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 03:33 PM

aaaand, of course, our perenial favorite:
rooooooger
rooooooger
rooooooger
This has never happened to me before! Somebody is cheering me! Wow! ... Or maybe not.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:33 PM

I'm here to help.
There is something we can agree on, There is nothing like the start of spring training. Makes you know that Summer and Baseball are around the corner.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:37 PM

No kidding. I have had it with... non baseball season. Something about having the game on the radio while you slog through the garden or mow the lawn (yes, my mower is that quiet) or throw down mulch or clear brush or rake or stake the tomatos makes life altogether pleasant! Then there's the having a beer while sitting in the adirondak in the late afternoon sun...
Jeez. Thanks. I didn't mind winter- even this winter- until this VERY second...

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
This has never happened to me before! Somebody is cheering me! Wow! ... Or maybe not.
NONONONO...
YOU get
ro-GER!
ro-GER!
ro-GER!

THAT slimey wingfest gets the ominous
roooooooger
roooooooger
roooooooger

See? Difference.
One says: YEAH! w00t!
The other says BACKTOYOURCAVEYOUTRAITOROUSLUNKbutfirstawildpitchi fyouplease...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 03:42 PM

No kidding. I have had it with... non baseball season. Something about having the game on the radio while you slog through the garden or mow the lawn (yes, my mower is that quiet) or throw down mulch or clear brush or rake or stake the tomatos makes life altogether pleasant! Then there's the having a beer while sitting in the adirondak in the late afternoon sun...
Jeez. Thanks. I didn't mind winter- even this winter- until this VERY second...
You're welcome just returning the favor. I also love listening to games on the radio while having dinner or driving places in my car. I cna't stand the TV announcers. Nothing like listening to it like they used to in the old days on the radio.

Forum Links
Forum Rules