Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New convert, which notebook for me?

New convert, which notebook for me?
Heavy
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 11:05 AM

Hi. I want to purchase my first Mac. Have you guys heard about any bugs on the Macbook Pro? I did read about some buzzing/noise issues with it. But don't know if that's resolved or just isolated incidents. Is it really as great as Apple is advertising?

I'm really undecided on whether to go with this last version of a Powerbook (which is probably very stable and no bugs) or the new Intel Mac version, which will most likely be the future. I'm sure the next version will have all the kinks worked out. It happens in every field.

Seems there are a lot of people selling PB's to get the new Intel Macs. Would buying used be a smart move? If they have Applecare, does that transfer? I do want some type of warranty.

Basically for what I want is a Mac that will be strong for a couple years. I want 1 Gig RAM and 60-80 Gig HD for my needs. Should I go small (ibook) now and get something bigger/better in a year or so?

Also are new intel ibooks supposed to come out soon?
thanx
Jeff

Peabo
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 12:03 PM

The powerbooks have already been weak in terms of speed for a couple of years. A few more years and you'll be lagging very far behind. Macbook Pros are what you want if you're buying with the future in mind. If it's an ibook you want, there is supposed to be a new one coming out in a month or two, wait for that.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2006, 12:24 PM

The PowerBook speed weakness is a very big part of the reasoning behind Apple's switch to Intel. They just could not put a PowerPC G5 in a notebook and get any reasonable battery life or heat output and IBM was being uncooperative in developing lower-powered G5s.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm bummed now. I really wanting a laptop soon for work.
Is there any info on the new ibooks? Why would the lower line be updated before the PB's. Then no one will buy the PB's. Will they be discontinued? Will the ibooks be Intel based?

So how is the Macbook overall. Like many, I'm always leary of new models. This will be mainly for audio recording and most things related to music. On the Macbook pro, I don't really need a remote or a camera, so it's a bit overkill.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2006, 01:03 PM

All Macs will be Intel-based by the end of this year. Apple has come out and said as much. Nobody knows exactly what Apple's plans are with regard to the order in which they'll update or which particular sizes will make the cut, but a good bet would be that a 17" MacBook Pro will be released before, or at approximately the same time as, the Intel iBook replacements (I resist calling them Intel iBooks because they will probably be renamed). It's entirely possible that Apple will eliminate the 12" PowerBook and fill the void with the iBook replacement. This is purely speculation, so don't put much stock in it.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy
Is there any info on the new ibooks? Why would the lower line be updated before the PB's. Then no one will buy the PB's. Will they be discontinued? Will the ibooks be Intel based?
Apple will probably replace the iBooks with MacBooks before the fall school year, but I'm hoping that they complete the transition sooner. It shouldn't be too long now, since the 15" MacBook Pro is already out.

Peabo
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm bummed now. I really wanting a laptop soon for work.
They will update the ibooks, but they won't make them better than the current MacBook Pros. They current ibooks are reaaaallllyy slow compared to all the other apple products out there. They'll probably get a solo or dual core 1.66ghz processors, I'd imagine.

I've heard they are coming out in the Spring, will feature a 13" widescreen display and be renamed to 'MacBook'. Dunno if that's true though
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 02:00 PM

i actually would say DONT go for a MacBook Pro or any intel based machine.

my reasoning is this: if you're a new user, you don't want to worry about which programs will work under rosetta. Yes, most programs will work, but if not, you have to go searching all over the place for a beta version that works.

i used a mac mini (my first mac) for almost 1/2 year and it was never lagging on any of the apps i used. (then again, I don't use any "pro" apps)

office, ilife, expose all work fantastic on a G4 mini.

if you're only planning on keeping it a year or so, i would get the ibook because it is the best bang for the buck and because of ABSOLUTE compatibility. and then a year from now, get an intel macbook or something.

keep this in mind - if you use office a lot. a universal binary (intel native) office, isn't due in the forseeable future. they will probably release it in 2007 (the current version is 2004).
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Peabo
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
if you're only planning on keeping it a year or so, i would get the ibook because it is the best bang for the buck and because of ABSOLUTE compatibility. and then a year from now, get an intel macbook or something.

keep this in mind - if you use office a lot. a universal binary (intel native) office, isn't due in the forseeable future. they will probably release it in 2007 (the current version is 2004).
The MacBook Pro ought to run PowerPC apps faster than the ibook running them natively though.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 02:17 PM

i actually would say DONT go for a MacBook Pro or any intel based machine.

Blah, blah...
Your reasoning sucks.

I seriously doubt that Heavy is using any mission critical apps (he's never even owned a Mac before) that he simply must be able to run at all costs, and I also doubt that he'll be using any apps that couldn't run on a MacBook / MacBook Pro.

Having played around with one, I can honestly say that the MacBook Pro is outrageously fast compared to the PowerBooks. I'd hate to see Heavy waste money on an already obsolete machine when all he needs to do is wait a few months for a MacBook, which will probably be sufficient for his needs.

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
I seriously doubt that Heavy is using any mission critical apps (he's never even owned a Mac before) that he simply must be able to run at all costs, and I also doubt that he'll be using any apps that couldn't run on a MacBook / MacBook Pro.

Having played around with one, I can honestly say that the MacBook Pro is outrageously fast compared to the PowerBooks. I'd hate to see Heavy waste money on an already obsolete machine when all he needs to do is wait a few months for a MacBook, which will probably be sufficient for his needs.
I currently own and use a 2.0 Intel iMac (instead of merely "played around with one"), i can honestly say that for the apps I am using, there isn't too much of life-changing difference. I use the iLife apps, office, azureus, vlc the most often.

the biggest difference is the fast boot times.

small programs like flip4mac and flash don't work on the intel mac. so no windows media files or streaming video from cnn, comedy central, etc

and if you try to install the macromedia flash player, it screws up the limited flash capabiliity.

i probably should rephrase my "reasoning" - a mac should be "it just works" (like a G4 or G5) instead of "it mostly works" (intel macs). there are a few instances where an intel mac just doesn't work. i still take out of my compaq laptop for those instances. If i still had my G4 mini or powerbook, i wouldn't need to do so.

again, this comes with the experience of using it for weeks instead of "playing around with one" for an hour or so at a local store.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 03:22 PM

So first you say that if he uses office a lot, he should get a PPC because there's no universal binary. Then you say that there is little difference in performance for most programs, including office. If it works the same on both, then why not get the newer computer that will last longer? The flash/wmv problem you mention is annoying, but hardly worth buying an obsolete machine. I'm sure it'll be fixed in a couple of months at the most, and then you'll be happy you made the investment.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 03:27 PM

Your choice of laptop really, really depends on what software you're needing to run. For example, are you going to purchase Photoshop and do you intend to run it heavily? If so, then you need to add that $ to the purchase price of any laptop, but with the MBP, you'll have to add the additional upgrade price to the universal intel-compatible version in about 8 months time. You can be sure that it won't be a free upgrade.

Have you checked the availability and compatibility (and prices) of your needed audio software? You say it's for work--does that mean that work's paying for it? Because your decision is different if you're spending your own money, v.s. making an informed decision about using work resources.

I presume you've seen Walt Mossberg's and David Pogue's reviews? If not, Google them because they're very informative. Macintouch.com has a compatibility list.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 03:29 PM

I currently own and use a 2.0 Intel iMac (instead of merely "played around with one"), i can honestly say that for the apps I am using, there isn't too much of life-changing difference. I use the iLife apps, office, azureus, vlc the most often.
The difference in speed between an iMac G5 and an Intel iMac is less than the difference in speed between a G4 PowerBook and a MacBook Pro, and my impression is mostly based on a comparison between the latter two. Whereas Intel iMacs are up to 2x faster than G5 iMacs, MacBook Pros are up to 4x faster than the PowerBooks

Scrolling a webpage on a MacBook Pro, for example, is vastly more fluid than trying to do the same thing on a 1GHz G4 PB.

small programs like flip4mac and flash don't work on the intel mac. so no windows media files or streaming video from cnn, comedy central, etc
Flip4Mac works crappily on my G4, so I wouldn't really miss it, and VLC can handle some WMV formats.

and if you try to install the macromedia flash player, it screws up the limited flash capabiliity.
Yeah, but how long do you think it would take for Adobe to put out a UB? Longer than Heavy is going to keep his first Mactop?

i probably should rephrase my "reasoning" - a mac should be "it just works" (like a G4 or G5) instead of "it mostly works" (intel macs). there are a few instances where an intel mac just doesn't work. i still take out of my compaq laptop for those instances. If i still had my G4 mini or powerbook, i wouldn't need to do so.
Bah, I went through both the 680x0 -> PPC and the OS9 -> X transitions and lived to tell the tale. If Heavy keeps a PC around, then he can do the same thing that you are doing.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 03:33 PM

With the imminent release of universal version of Apple's Pro apps and plugins like Flip4mac and the reasonable performance of Adobe products under Rosetta, I see no reason to go with a G4 pbook over a Macbook pro other than wait time to get one delivered.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 03:38 PM

Note that I'm not telling Heavy to rush out and get a MacBook Pro; I'm implying that he should wait a month or two for a MacBook. If he absolutely needs to have a Mac now, then he can take uicandrew's advice and buy a temporary iBook (preferably used). In six months or so, he can sell it and trade up to a MacBook.

I usually advise people to buy the minimum computer that they need for the next year or so, but the difference between an iBook and a MacBook is significant.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 04:11 PM

This is all exactly what I need to know. Thanks to you guys for having the foresight that I don't have with this stuff. I think with the just the software that comes on a Mac, I'll be good for awhile. I want to get into recording and will use Garageband and then probably move up to Logic in the future.

A 13-14" screen will do me nicely.l I actually want a small laptop. I teach guitar lessons and this will just be mostly for things related to that. Music files, mp3's, wma's, recording and burning CDs.

I'd love to get a Macbook pro, but I just think it's overkill for me. A 15" screen could work.

I don't want to wait more than a month or two. OTOH, it'd suck if I buy a PB and next week out comes the new ibooks.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 04:27 PM

I don't want to wait more than a month or two. OTOH, it'd suck if I buy a PB and next week out comes the new ibooks.
Here's a primer for you:

PowerBook -> MacBook Pro
iBook -> MacBook

In other words, iBooks are going to be replaced by MacBooks (without the Pro moniker). PowerBooks are in the process of being replaced by MacBook Pros.

If you must get a laptop now, then I recommend that you get a 12" iBook. There's very little difference in performance between a 12" iBook and a 12" PB, and the former is as cheap as a Mac laptop gets. Eventually, both the iBooks and the remaining PowerBooks will be replaced by MacBooks and MacBook Pros respectively. Once that happens, you can consider selling your iBook for a MacBook (or even a MacBook Pro).

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 06:14 PM

with garageband being important you, and since it is already a universal binary (ie - native to intel) you should wait 1 month for the ibook. The rumor sites have seemed to say that the design is pretty much done. No one ever predicted the 15" powerbook to be replaced in January, and people had to wait for production to be ramped up.

relate that to the mac mini, which was predicted and the production had already been ramped up so you could get it right away.

when the ibook comes out, i suspect it will be available right away.

if you're going to move up to logic, then by the time that occurs, the universal binary of that will be out.

if you really need to get a mac soon, why not a mac mini (intel) to tie you over and then get the appropriate portable.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 06:17 PM

with garageband being important you, and since it is already a universal binary (ie - native to intel) you should wait 1 month for the MacBook. The rumor sites have seemed to say that the design is pretty much done. No one ever predicted the 15" powerbook to be replaced in January, and people had to wait for production to be ramped up.
Fixinated.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 11:09 PM

Is Garageband the full version that comes with any Mac? Someone told me it wasn't. The website led me to believe it was.

What's this about Windows Media Player for Mac not working with the IntelMacs? That won't work even with Rosetta? Will it in the future? Will they be updating it?

There is also the Guitar Pro program which I use a lot. It's only been available for Windows, but says there will be a Mac version available in the "second trimester of '06". But now I don't know if it will be old Mac or new Intel Mac. Or will that not matter? I'm very confused on this new stuff.

Also there is a program I was going to get called the Amazing Slow Downer v2.8.1 X for Macintosh OS X. This won't work either on the Powerbook?

Will these work with the intel ibooks? I'm very sorry, as I'm new totally new to this and I'm trying to understand about Mac programs vs. my Windows stuff. Now I also have to consider the Intel Mac stuff. Very confusing for me. I'm trying to research it, much thanx to all the replies.

All these programs are what I want to use for my work, hopefully sooner than later. When will Windows Media player be able to be played on an Intel Mac?
( Last edited by Heavy; Mar 3, 2006 at 11:16 PM. )

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 11:26 PM

I'm not clear on the nature of the problem with Windows Media, but you can be sure that it will be fixed. The question is how soon; I would guess within 1-2 months (by the time the macbook/ibook comes out?).

In general (i.e. with the exception of a very few programs like WMP and VirtualPC), all apps made for PPC macs will work just fine on intel macs. Unless you hear otherwise, assume any program you want to run will run (although if it's made for PPC and it's very resource intensive, it might be a tiny bit slow). That said, if there's a developer making a mac version of a piece of software you want (this guitar pro thing), they'd be stupid not to make it a universal binary from the get-go. If they're on the ball and do release it in UB, it'll work wonderfully; if they shoot themselves in the foot and don't design for intel, it'll work anyway through rosetta, just a bit slower.

Finally, keep in mind that when I say things that have to run in rosetta will be slower, I don't mean they'll be slower than on a PowerBook. The MBP is sufficiently faster than the PB that most things running in rosetta will still be faster than running natively on the PB, just not as fast as if they were universal binaries on the MBP. One known exception at this point is Photoshop, which does in fact run faster on the PB (if only marginally).

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 12:58 AM

Thnx Matt. Killer explanation! Helps me alot.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Barefoot Matt
One known exception at this point is Photoshop, which does in fact run faster on the PB (if only marginally).
I thought Photoshop ran faster on G5s, not G4s. Can you post a link?

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by f1000
I thought Photoshop ran faster on G5s, not G4s. Can you post a link?
From MacWorld's review: http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/revi...main/index.php
There's a table of results on that page if you want more detail; it's near the bottom.
The other major application that many MacBook Pro users will want to run is Adobe Photoshop CS2, and it may be a while before a Universal version arrives. In the interim, the MacBook Pro will run Photoshop via Rosetta. We found Photoshop to be quite usable on the MacBook Pro, but it doesn’t run nearly as fast as it does on the most recent top-of-the-line PowerBook. The 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 performed our suite of 14 scripted Photoshop tasks 1.7 times faster than the 2GHz MacBook Pro. As a result, it’s hard for us to recommend the MacBook Pro to heavy Photoshop users until Adobe ships a Universal version. However, casual Photoshop users should be fine.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 11:12 AM

About Photoshop: here's a quote from the Macworld mag review:
Edit: Barefoot Mac beat me to the quote, ha!

"The other major application that many MacBook Pro users will want to run is Adobe Photoshop CS2, and it may be a while before a Universal version arrives. In the interim, the MacBook Pro will run Photoshop via Rosetta. We found Photoshop to be quite usable on the MacBook Pro, but it doesn’t run nearly as fast as it does on the most recent top-of-the-line PowerBook. The 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 performed our suite of 14 scripted Photoshop tasks 1.7 times faster than the 2GHz MacBook Pro. As a result, it’s hard for us to recommend the MacBook Pro to heavy Photoshop users until Adobe ships a Universal version. However, casual Photoshop users should be fine."

http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/revi...main/index.php

If you look at their review of the Intel Mac mini, you'll see that a 1.42 Ghz G4 mac mini performs much better (twice as fast?) on Photoshop than a 1.66 Ghz Core Duo Intel Mini. Of course, on the universal binary apps, the reverse is true.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firs...arks/index.php

In other words, if you're a heavy Photoshop user and you've already got a fast PPC laptop, don't make the transition yet. If you're upgrading from an older laptop, buy the MBP because even in Rosetta, Photoshop will be faster than your old laptop.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 12:27 PM

Excellent info guys. So there you have it: if you're a Photoshop pro, then consider whether switching to a Mactel now is worth the short-term performance hit.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 01:23 PM

f1000, I'm seriously considering your advice and getting an ibook right now. but I have read that the Powerbook has a faster bus, processor and stuff. Much of the stuff I want to do I'm still unsure on the Macbook.

But while speed is nice, no bugs is more appealing to me. Is a PB or ibook gonna be more stable? The reason I want to switch to Mac is I always read how everything works well together and you don't have to worry about compatibility and figuring tech stuff out. Now I guess I have bad timing with this because it seems like a lot of research is involved in what will run and what won't with a macbook pro. A Macbook pro doesn't seem right for me. It looks cool and has a lot of nice stuff but too much frills for me. I really don't like how the Macbook pro doesn't even have a modem! I'm on dialup and don't see changing right now and paying $50 a month.

The new "intel ibooks" that come out might not have a modem either.

An ibook or PB 12" would probably do everything I want except (Guitar Pro since it's not available yet). Whereas a Macbook won't read my .wma and .wmv files, doesn't have a modem, might not run the Amazing Slow Downer v2.8.1 X. Also I've read that the Macbook pro gets pretty hot.

I'm not a huge graphics guy or gonna be making professional 24 track recordings. I just need more basic stuff. Will I really notice the ibook and PB as being slow? I'm used to using a Dell PC with 2.99 GHZ and 1 G RAM. So will it seem slow to me? I don't know if it's the same comparison with a Mac.

Hows an ibook gonna seem compared to that?

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 01:53 PM

f1000, I'm seriously considering your advice and getting an ibook right now. but I have read that the Powerbook has a faster bus, processor and stuff. Much of the stuff I want to do I'm still unsure on the Macbook.
Actually, my advice is for you to wait a little longer for a MacBook, but if you want a Mac now to tide you over, then I do suggest that you go with an iBook over a PowerBook. Neither the PB nor the iBook is stabler than the other, and you don't need high end features in a learner laptop that you're going to trade up for a MacBook anyway.

I'm sorry to say that a 12" iBook/PB is going to feel a bit sluggish compared to a recent Wintel laptop. The G4 chips are rather long in the tooth; however, the iBook is perfect for learning the Mac OS X ropes.

You would do better to ask music application specific questions in one of the other forums. As for dialup, ditch it and switch to a cellular modem. EDGE, EV-DO, UMTS, etc. are all faster than a POT modem and getting price competitive. Do a search for Cingular and Bluetooth for one of my threads on EDGE.

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 02:54 PM

I wouldn't get a PowerBook... The screen on the last revision is aweful and it's becoming slow by today standards.

Get the MacBook Pro, it's the future. Plus you get stuff like built-in camera for free.

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 4, 2006, 03:31 PM

I'm not a huge graphics guy or gonna be making professional 24 track recordings. I just need more basic stuff. Will I really notice the ibook and PB as being slow? I'm used to using a Dell PC with 2.99 GHZ and 1 G RAM. So will it seem slow to me? I don't know if it's the same comparison with a Mac.

Hows an ibook gonna seem compared to that?
actually, it was my advice to get an ibook. (i wrote that in my FIRST reply to this thread, the 8th reply or so)

i had said that it would be best for absolute compatibility. and "a mac should be "it just works" (like a G4 or G5) instead of "it mostly works" (intel macs). there are a few instances where an intel mac just doesn't work. i still take out of my compaq laptop for those instances. If i still had my G4 mini or powerbook, i wouldn't need to do so." (i just quoted myself)

i have a 2.0ghz P4 desktop and a 1.6ghz centrino laptop, and i would say my first mac mini (1.42ghz) is faster than my desktop, but slower than my laptop. Overall, the Mac OS is very snappy and brisk. especially with searches (with spotlight).

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 06:07 PM

Sorry uicandrew you are correct. You gave me a heads up on a lot of this. Thanks for all the insight and the time! I'm going to check them out today!

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 02:39 AM

Store did not have a MBP on display. bummer. I messed around with all kinds of laptops. The ibooks seemed slow, but then again I was also playing around on a $2K Dell (I think) in comparison.

Has anyone figured a way to play .wma and .wmv on the Mactels? If I wait for the new ibooks or whatever they'll be called, I'm gonna need to play these files some way. I have a lot of them.

Windows Media Player for Mac will no longer be updated according to Microsoft. How do you play them on the new Macs?

Also I'm wondering if the powerbooks will come down quite a bit in price soon. The 15" PB that I played with was nice.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 11:19 AM

Keep in mind that iTunes can convert wma to aac, and there are other programs that can convert wma to mp3.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 12:35 PM

Store did not have a MBP on display. bummer. I messed around with all kinds of laptops. The ibooks seemed slow, but then again I was also playing around on a $2K Dell (I think) in comparison.
Did you go to an Apple Store?

Also I'm wondering if the powerbooks will come down quite a bit in price soon. The 15" PB that I played with was nice.
You may see some deals from 3rd part resellers.

Also, Apple is selling 15" PB refurb's for around $1600. Just go to www.apple.com and click on the "STORE" tab and on the left side is a special deals icon.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 07:01 PM

AFAIK, iTunes can't import wma files. You don't want to defile your iPod with wma files. Not an option. You can go to versiontracker.com and download a $10 shareware called "easywma" that will convert to mp3, m4a, and wav.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
AFAIK, iTunes can't import wma files. You don't want to defile your iPod with wma files. Not an option. You can go to versiontracker.com and download a $10 shareware called "easywma" that will convert to mp3, m4a, and wav.
It can't import WMA files and keep them as WMA (thus defiling your iPod, as you put it), but it can convert WMA to AAC - at least, the windows version can. When I switched from managing my music with WMP to iTunes, iTunes asked me if I wanted to convert all my WMAs. I didn't, because I wanted MP3 instead of AAC, but the option was there.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 09:02 PM

Flip4mac (now free) lets you play Windows Media files in Quicktime.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 09:27 PM

Flipmac even on the intelMac?

I want to make sure I'll be able to use my .wma and .wmv files on an intel mac. Which converter (if any) will I need and is it ready to be used on the MBP or the new "ibooks" whenvever they come out?

Please excuse these novice ?'s. I really don't know what a Mac can and can't do, especially the new ones. If I can convert these files, I'm good to go!

I went to CompUSA and played with some Macs as well as some PC laptops. There was no MBP to play on. : (

I did play around with all the ibooks and powerbooks. I was trying to get the hang of the Mac OS a little. All the Macs seemed slow compared to the PC's, just clicking on the icons and waiting. The fastest one there seemed like the ibook 14"!! It seemed faster than the 1.5 Ghz 15" and about the same as the 1.67Ghz 17" PB. That's weird. Screen was dull on the ibooks. But I liked the screen on the PB's a lot. It was just right. Not too bright, or too dingy. The new Mac's desktops had super bright screens, very clean and bright. Too bright for me.

I'm still considering buying a 15" 1.67 Ghz PB. I really liked the screen and feel. But I'm trying to wait for the new Macs. Maybe even a MBP.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2006, 04:25 AM

heavy -- you're asking all the right questions, and getting some good answers from several posters. It's a major decision and no need to apologize for seeking advice here.

Keep in mind that the amount of RAM you load into your PB/iB/MB/MBP is going to have a major impact on usage of apps like GarageBand, and could account for the difference you experienced among the various models at the store.

Personally, I use a year old 1.5 gig PowerBook 15" that cost $1500, and it's a magnificent machine -- great, bright screen (this was before the HD version and its occasional problems), keyboard -- everything. With a gig of RAM, it does everything I need with no hiccups or waiting. A MBP would no doubt be faster in universal binary apps, but for my uses -- web surfing, email and writing-- I'd hardly notice the difference. In fact, if that's all you were doing, I'd go along with the recommendation of an iBook .

But GarageBand is a whole different animal; for that, you want as much RAM as you can afford (check ramseeker.com) and might want to wait for the new, small MacBook or go for a 2005 15" or 17" PowerBook, which you might be able to get refurbed for around $1500. I'd probably wait for the MacBook myself, if you can, because it's the future, but I imagine a 2005 15" or 17' PowerBook with adequate RAM would be fine for the next couple years at least. Let us know what you decide.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 01:11 PM

Yeah I'm trying to hold out for the new ones. But if those remaining 15" PBs get discounted, I might jump on that.

The PB's have some features I like over the MBP. Modem, more firewire options, and lots more software choices to name a few. The 15" PB would be perfect for me at this point and time. But I've read a lot of problems with the HD's on the PB's. Would those last remaining ones be the good ones or were the recent ones with the known problems?

The MBP has camera, and remote which is useless to me. I hope the smaller 12-13" doesn't have that stuff. Who'd use a remote on a small screen?

Again, I'll take smooth, reliability over an increase in speed and worry about some kinks or bugs.

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 6, 2006, 01:38 PM

to answer your previous questions:

1. flipmac is not compatible with intel mac. you can't even install it.
2. I use vlc to play wmv and windows media player for wmv. NEITHER can play copy-protected content. So any songs you bought from the wma music stores. vlc is unstable with the wmv. windows media player is better, BUT fast forwarding and rewinding is aggravating because it is so slow.
3. i don't know of any converters, but i think it might be the easiest for you to try to convert them using software on the pc side. i'm sure there's tons of programs on the pc side to convert wmv to avi or mpeg

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 03:26 PM

3. i don't know of any converters, but i think it might be the easiest for you to try to convert them using software on the pc side. i'm sure there's tons of programs on the pc side to convert wmv to avi or mpeg
That's true. Since you're using a PC now, you might as well download a free converter and convert all your WMAs and WMVs to a more universal format before transfering them to your new Mac.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 03:46 PM

Thanks much bro's. I feel better about this switch to Mac, knowing I can come here for great help! Much appreciated!

Most likely, I'm gonna wait for the new 12" (13") intelibookmacpro!

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 12:56 AM

My 2 cents worth coming from someone who just purchased MacBook Pro Duo 2Gig with a 23 inch Cinema for home use (plus 2gigs RAM...crucial).

So far, I couldn't ask for more. Performance is excellent for native apps and very acceptable for Rosetta apps.

BTW uicandrew: Flip4Mac works fine on my MacBook Pro...must be running under Rossetta.

I can't the believe revs over the next 6 months will make THAT much difference except for some minor speed bumps and I definitely wouldn't go for the Powerbook. It's speed was pathetic especially for the money. There are only 2 real complaints that may be legitimate.

1st is the lack of Adobe and MS apps in Universal Binary along with other key apps. Still probably 3-6 months off. Rosetta seems to run flawlessly but the apps do have to "think" more.

2nd is that the lid only tilts back 120 degrees or so. Doesn't really bother me but working in an office environment across a conference table, you might want to lay your screen flat rather than close your laptop. Or if it's on your lap you may need more angle..

Otherwise, the keyboard is so cool in feel and look. Multiple monitors is easy as can be. The screen is clear as a bell. Even hooked up to my HK Sound Sticks/Sub, it soulds great.

If you go for it, you won't be sorry. if you want to wait, I'm sure the price will go down and performance features will continue to rise...like they have for the last 20 years.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules