Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems copying files wirelessly from MBP to PC, is there a better way?

Problems copying files wirelessly from MBP to PC, is there a better way?
forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2008, 01:35 PM

Hi all, I have to sync poser runtimes with several machines so to start I am trying to just copy 3 directories (each about 1 gig more or less) with thousands of files each from mbp leopard to a laptop pc xp ntfs box. The connection is an airport express and both boxes are connected wirelessly. The copy keeps failing and I can't figure out why. Copying a folder or two works great, but when I try to copy everything, no go. There must be a better way but I can't think of one right now. I used to do this all the time to the same PC from another PC, no problem...just took about 15 minutes or so. Here is a snap:

I would really like to find a fast sync solution between these two fine machines...I used to use PCanywhere with two PCs, but I tried the mac version when I was in tiger and it flat out failed. I guess I just can't deal with anything symantec. Wondering if there is something else? Thanks!!!

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 06:16 PM

I used ChronoSync to sync a projects folder on my Mac with a PC share that was NTFS formatted. It worked fine--I wasn't syncing several gigs, but I don't think that will be an issue. If you can use a wired connection, that would definitely help.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 06:17 PM

Have you tried connecting them with a network cable?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 06:55 PM

Do any of your Mac filenames contain illegal characters for filenames in Windows because that could be one source of your problem?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2008, 10:14 PM

Illegal file names, timeouts due to intermittently poor wireless signal levels, timeouts due to the vagaries of Windows file handling, lots of things can do that.

First, USE A CABLE for big transfers or those with many files. You're likely to max out a WiFi G link (at its best) with a throughput of between 35 & 40 Mbps (that's megaBITS per second) and if you don't have a fantastic signal, it'll be a lot lower. Contrast that with wired Ethernet-with a theoretical maximum throughput of 100Mbps and a realizable rate of as much as 75Mbps without straining. That should fix a lot of problems right there.

Next, check out what the PC is saying about the link. If there are illegal file names, you should get an error message to that effect on the PC (probably kinda cryptic, but it'll boil down to that).

Finally, this sounds like a perfect job for an external hard drive. USB 2.0 or Firewire kick the snot out of Ethernet rates (often even gigabit Ethernet rates if you don't get really good cables). Spend a lot less time transferring the files to the drive from the Mac. Disconnect. Walk over to the PC and plug in. Spend not too much time transferring the files onto the PC. And if there are illegal characters or other problems, the PC'll tell you so and what the problems are.

Who would have ever thought that "sneakernet" could be done using half-terabyte drives!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2008, 02:14 AM

Hi all, thanks for all those very sound suggestions and ideas. I can't use a wire so I thought wow, I have a little cigarette-pack size usb drive, but it's formatted as a clone for mac, so i dont think that's of any use to transfer files to PC. I guess I could try to repartition some of it in fat32, but i dont really want to mess up this drive, and it was a bear to get to boot leopard in the first place. Same goes for my time machine and other externals. So I was also thinking network would be best...downloading ChronoSync now to see if that will slow things down a bit so the transfers work, and maybe checks for things like incompatible file names. i'll let ya all know if that works. I also can't use DVD, as the PC is ultra-portable with none to speak of. I guess I need one of those new Time Capsules...maybe next xmas...

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2008, 12:13 PM

Well, just to let all know of a solution to my problem: ChronoSync 3.3.6. It rocks. Albiet slow (hours to do 1gig over wireless) it works. And so many features for so little pisa. I guess that's what I love about macs, the apps of OSX. Simple on one hand to use, but somehow with every conceivable feature. I'm thinking there must be something about an MBP wireless connection via airport going to older wireless adapters in PCs. its just dog slow, compared to say two older wireless adapters in PCs (signal strength all being equal). Well cheers, and thanks for helping me through this...
FH

oh ps. scary results trying to copy native over the two file systems: when I was getting those errors above, the mac was actually leaving entire PC directories EMPTY! how's that for "behave..."
( Last edited by forumhound; Jan 16, 2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add ps.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules