Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Canon EOS Utility on Apple Silicon?

Canon EOS Utility on Apple Silicon?
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2023, 10:40 PM

Does anyone know whether Canon’s EOS Utility - which allows you to tether your EOS camera to your computer - works natively on Apple Silicon? Ditto for their “Digital Photo Professional” software - which lets you open and edit RAW.

I’d much prefer using native code rather than going with Rosetta II, even if it works perfectly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2023, 02:09 AM

Knowing Canon, it’s not.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 20, 2023, 01:05 PM

I hear you. My still-hard-working Canon multifunction laser printer’s driver software is Intel only. I worked around that by having my Intel-based Linux machine share it, so it will work for M1 or M2 Macs.

I don’t know if there are any real downsides to using Rosetta II, but I set up the printer sharing when my wife got her M1 MBA, just in case.

I REALLY want to be able to use the EOS Utility, because it lets me tether the camera to the computer and see just what the camera’s sensor sees - skipping a number of steps that moving the SD card from camera to computer reader would require. It’s really useful and powerful, and for Canon “user” software, that’s saying something. Their DPP app is just OK, but it does help keep photos organized.

My favorite “actual photo editing” app, RawTherapee, doesn’t have an installable package for Apple Silicon machines, but it has a port that I can use with my M2 MBP. It depends on Homebrew to install it, but I’m comfortable with that.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 20, 2023, 09:33 PM

It turns out RawTherapee 5.9, the current version, is “universal,” and runs fine on my M2.

Of course the Canon apps are Intel only. I haven’t messed with them yet, but I think they’ll run fine with Rosetta.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2023, 11:48 AM

If I had to use my Canon in a “studio” environment, I’d be all over the EOS utility.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 23, 2023, 12:23 PM

Exactly. It lets you download images as you take them, lets you adjust white balance in real time, and all sorts of stuff.

And it turns out that it runs fine with Rosetta. So does Digital Photo Pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules