Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > USA begins official racial profiling

USA begins official racial profiling
El Pre$idente
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 10:24 AM

Under Ashcroft the USA has witnessed all sorts of wild ideas that the Nazis and other dictatorships have used. So far there has been yet another expensive intelligence agency, the idea of internment camps, 100s of vanishing American citizens whose crime was being Muslim - detainees whose names have been withheld from even Congress, a program of citizens spying on each other called TIPS and now an official racial and religious profiling program for anyone entering the USA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2289374.stm

It's true. It's so true. What they say about Aschkroft, Busch and Rumschfeld.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
Under Ashcroft the USA has witnessed all sorts of wild ideas that the Nazis and other dictatorships have used. So far there has been yet another expensive intelligence agency, the idea of internment camps, 100s of vanishing American citizens whose crime was being Muslim - detainees whose names have been withheld from even Congress, a program of citizens spying on each other called TIPS and now an official racial and religious profiling program for anyone entering the USA.

You know what, I can't give blood in the US because I lived in the UK and might have eaten British beef. Is that racial profiling?

By the way, why the use of the German schpellings? Real subtle.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
You know what, I can't give blood in the US because I lived in the UK and might have eaten British beef. Is that racial profiling?
No. It's cow abuse. You shouldn't eat beef otherwise you'll be punished. In your next life you will be born in the Bush family.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2002, 10:41 AM

Are you referring to Donald von Rumschfelt?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:

Are you referring to Donald von Rumschfelt?
YA! http://idisk.mac.com/sallystew/Publi...You_German.mp3

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2002, 10:59 AM

racial profiling is a natural defense meconism built into every human. anyone who denies its uses is just fooling themselves into thinking that this world is a safe place....

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Kaner:
racial profiling is a natural defense meconism built into every human. anyone who denies its uses is just fooling themselves into thinking that this world is a safe place....
INT. LIVING ROOM - AFTERNOON

El Pre$idente squints as a bizarre post on his iMac's TFT screen.

EL PRE$IDENTE
(sotto voce)
Rubbish.

He hits REPLY and sends this post!

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 11:41 AM

By the way, why the use of the German schpellings? Real subtle.
We all know that Germans are all Nazi party members. I'm half German, so I must be half-Nazi myself!

Speaking of racial profiling...

How long would a 6'4" blonde American last in Baghdad? How many Christains are in Iraq's government? How tolerant is Iraq, and why doesn't El Prez ever criticize them?

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by ink:

We all know that Germans are all Nazi party members. I'm half German, so I must be half-Nazi myself!

How long would a 6'4" blonde American last in Baghdad? How many Christains are in Iraq's government? How tolerant is Iraq, and why doesn't El Prez ever criticize them?
Tariq Aziz is Christian and he is Saddam's deputy. There are many tall blondes too -Iraq, Kurdish, Yezidi Kurds and Syriacs. The most famous is the Gharm-yani - hot people. So called because of their pink skin, red and blonde hair. By the way, the Romans called you 'germans' because they were associating you with Iraq's Gharm-yani because you spoke an Indo-European dialect and bore great similarity to them.

Study before you post something like that.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 11:57 AM

Those black helicopters are making you paranoid.

If you actually read the article you'd see that the extra vigilence with regards to the border entry checks are also being performed on North Koreans (Not Muslums), and Cubans (also not Muslums). It's NOT being performed on some muslum countries (Thai Muslums or Indonesians or even Pakistanis as examples.)

Nothing wrong with adding some extra questioning for folks from areas that have a high-concentration of terrorists and anti-western activities.

I'd probably add a few more countries to the list. (Muslum and non-Muslum)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 12:05 PM

Tariq Aziz is Christian
He's also the ONLY member of the baath party to be a Christian.
(Must be lonely)

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 12:05 PM

It's still pretty stupid profiling. You could be an Irish Muslim Suicide Martyr and nobody would be able to tell if you didn't change your name to Adbul Bilal Aktar Bin Murphy. I have actually met two Irish Muslims! And you thought the Catholics and Protestants were bad enough.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 12:08 PM

It's still pretty stupid profiling. You could be an Irish Muslim Suicide Martyr and nobody would be able to tell if you didn't change your name to Adbul Bilal Aktar Bin Murphy. I have actually met two Irish Muslims! And you thought the Catholics and Protestants were bad enough.
It's profiling by nation of origin, not your nationality. If you were an Irish Muslim suicide bomber that was entering the USA on a Saudi passport than YES, he is going to be stopped and questioned.

The fact is: The chances of a suicide bomber coming from one of the listed countries is greater than a suicide bomber coming from an unlisted country.

If you knew that hopping on one leg increased your chances of cancer by 20% then you would probably avoid that behavior. Pretty simple.

I also guarantee that if a certain country were to start questioning Americians when they enter because they felt they were a "higher risk" that you would be defending THAT countries actions.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by driven:

He's also the ONLY member of the baath party to be a Christian.
(Must be lonely)
Plus the fact that Saddam and Tariq have allowed Christian churches to prosper in Iraq despite the sanctions and the missionaries are American! They even preach about how Saddam helped them here in London at Speaker's Corner and Leicester Square. Any Londoner here can go ask those Christians with the cowboy hats to verify what I am saying now.

The challenges against tall blondes and Christians status in Iraq is basically putrid. You can't come to terms with that profiling that is going on in the US so you have to accuse Iraq of the same even when it has not done any such profiling.

Remember that Asians tend not to believe in the racial concept since they are highly mixed for thousands of years. Their divisions are only on religious and political grounds unless there is economic dependency. But with the West, well the West depends on resources from Asia and Africa yet treats those people like scum who have no reason to be angry. Nuff said.

I never heard of a white man sitting at the back of the bus in any African or Asian country or being told that he can't enter a mosque or temple. This was a reality in the US not long ago and still in some parts today.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2002, 12:13 PM

Although el Saddam isn't too happy about people criticising him in public, he and his party are liberal when it comes to religion. They are not fundamental muslims, they are rather carefree muslims.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 12:17 PM

To my German friend, there is even a Kurdish movement to protect Gharm-yani/Garmiani identity against Arabization!

http://www.rferl.org/iraq-report/2000/06/18-090600.html

The new organization is called the Kirkuk Identity Protection. It objectives are: to stop the displacement and Arabization of Kirkuk; to enhance the living standards of displaced people from Kirkuk; and to rehabilitate the Garmian area and to assist relatives of the 180,000 Kurds massacred by Saddam in the Anfal campaign.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2002, 12:19 PM

I also guarantee that if a certain country were to start questioning Americians when they enter because they felt they were a "higher risk" that you would be defending THAT countries actions.
I wonder if he has ever compared the length of the "EU Passport" to the "Non-EU Passport" line at Heathrow airport? There seems to be quite a bit of discrimination by national origin there.

I used to have a passport that still had my "given leave to enter the United Kingdom for an indefinite period" stamp in it. That stamp used to drive HM Customs bananas. They'd see it, there eyes would pop out and they'd get this "Aha, gotcha!" look on their faces. Then they'd run to this 6" thick book of names to look me up and see if I was an undesirable.

Somehow they always managed to look disappointed when they'd have to let me in.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2002, 12:21 PM

Remember that Asians tend not to believe in the racial concept since they are highly mixed for thousands of years.
Now, when you say Asians, you can't be referring to the entire continent? Japanese people are traditionally very racist against Koreans, for instance and People in Hong Kong are better respected if they are white. The definition you give of Asians being by and large free of racism is very wrong.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 12:24 PM

Plus the fact that Saddam and Tariq have allowed Christian churches to prosper in Iraq despite the sanctions and the missionaries are American! They even preach about how Saddam helped them here in London at Speaker's Corner and Leicester Square. Any Londoner here can go ask those Christians with the cowboy hats to verify what I am saying now.

The challenges against tall blondes and Christians status in Iraq is basically putrid. You can't come to terms with that profiling that is going on in the US so you have to accuse Iraq of the same even when it has not done any such profiling.

Remember that Asians tend not to believe in the racial concept since they are highly mixed for thousands of years. Their divisions are only on religious and political grounds unless there is economic dependency. But with the West, well the West depends on resources from Asia and Africa yet treats those people like scum who have no reason to be angry. Nuff said.

I never heard of a white man sitting at the back of the bus in any African or Asian country or being told that he can't enter a mosque or temple. This was a reality in the US not long ago and still in some parts today.
You are so wrong about the Asian racial thing it's not funny. The Japanese look down (or have looked down) on all other Asian races. So have the Chinese to a certain extent. It's been the cause of numerous wars. The anamosity between the Japanese people and the Korean people is infamous. The Japanese think that Korean people are stubborn, ignorant and not worth of equality. (They enslaved them for nearly 50 years!) In return the Koreans (North and South) STILL hold a deep hatred for the Japanese people. (Who never did apologize or make amends for what they did to the Korean pennisula). This latest fiasco with the North Korean kidnappings isn't going to help either.

In Thailand they can't even get along with each other. The Bangkok and Chaing Mai Thai have a lighter skin than those from the south or from the Issan region. The lighter skined Thais feel that the Issan folks are an inferior race, and they will openly say it. Do they make them sit in the back of the bus? No. But they will openly ostricise them for entering certain establishments until they feel uncomfortable enough to leave. They will also make them feel very unwelcome in certain housing areas. It's getting better, but they have a ways to go. (And all Thai and Burmese look down on the hill-tribes, such as the Karen.)

None of the Asians yet look at women as equals. Laos, Thailand, Burma (Myanmar) and Malaysia still have laws explicitly preventing women from being equals.

In India (another Asian country) they still have the caste system. Will they prevent members of one cast (or an untouchable) from entering a temple? Hell yes. There have been folks killed (as recently as this year) for attempting inter-cast relationships.

This stuff isn't hard to find ... so don't shoot off the cuff please. There differences are as much on racial grounds and skin-color grounds as the west was 50 or 60 years ago. Don't kid yourself. (I've lived there... I've seen it.)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 12:27 PM

I wonder if he has ever compared the length of the "EU Passport" to the "Non-EU Passport" line at Heathrow airport? There seems to be quite a bit of discrimination by national origin there.

I used to have a passport that still had my "given leave to enter the United Kingdom for an indefinite period" stamp in it. That stamp used to drive HM Customs bananas. They'd see it, there eyes would pop out and they'd get this "Aha, gotcha!" look on their faces. Then they'd run to this 6" thick book of names to look me up and see if I was an undesirable.

Somehow they always managed to look disappointed when they'd have to let me in.
I've had similar experiences in the USA. I've come and gone so many times (including bi-annual trips to Southeast Asia) that whenever I come back now I set off some red-flags. About 50% of the time I get pulled aside for a "chat". They are just looking for inconsistencies in your story. It's a PITA but I understand the reasoning. A few times they have been nice, sometimes they were downright nasty (and yes, I felt like they were disapointed when I didn't give them a reason to strip-search me.) <GRIN>

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 12:31 PM

Driven, your very post by nature is racist! LOL.

All the Japanese look down on other Asians? You are sure? You asked all the Japanese? Or is that one of those sweeping statements that you usually condemn?

Hindus have a caste system? It's not in the constitution and is a cultural artefact that is withering away. Like I said, old practises will wither away in Asia and they will be the dominant players because over 3 billion people can't live like third class people for long. All they have to do, to be blunt, is stop manufacturing for the west and turn investment inward. They have such a large population collectively that they could create a tier system and manufacture goods for themselves alone.

But that's not the route they will take. That's a demonstration of how 3 billion plus people can simply sink the West's dominance with little effort. It is how Gandhi and India ousted the Brits. By simply not co-operating anymore.

Now, back to your remark Driven that Tariq Aziz is the ONLY Christian in Iraq government. Firstly, he's pretty high up there and autocratic. Secondly, how many do you want? Thirdly, how many Muslims, Hindus or Buddhists in the US cabinet?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 1, 2002, 12:35 PM

LOL!!!!

It's not fun making fun of Iraq! Bush doesn't have anything to do with them, don't you know?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 12:36 PM

A comforting fact

Walking down a dark street, you see two people, one on each side.

One is a black male from Puerto Rico living on welfare for the past 6 months.

the other is an Irish Business Man.

Who is more likely to mug or kill you?

The acutal answer is the Irish Business man.

Statistically, minorities despite public opinion rarely attack anyone they don't know. They have a higher rate of domestic violence against a close friend of family member compaired to someone who is white. It's extremely rare that they would harm someone just walking down the street. And in many cases when it happens. It's someone caught in the middle of a gang war.

Moral of the story: Racial descrimination hasn't worked yet.

My bet is the next Al-Queda attack will be done by someone white, most likely even an American Citizen. Clean shaven.

Why? Because they would get through security without question. Nobody gives them a second look.

Al-Queda loved Jonny Taliban. And guess what! They have more than just him. There are a few dozen in training right now.

And nobody is looking for them. That's just sad.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 12:37 PM

Yay! Pimphire has turned up!

Post Sosumi and shut up

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 12:42 PM

All the Japanese look down on other Asians? You are sure? You asked all the Japanese? Or is that one of those sweeping statements that you usually condemn?

Nice try ... ain't gonna work.

Hindus have a caste system?
Yes.

It's not in the constitution and is a cultural artefact that is withering away.
It's actually illegal. But it still exists. Yes, it's VERY slowly going away ... but try to fight it when you live there every day.

Like I said, old practises will wither away in Asia and they will be the dominant players because over 3 billion people can't live like third class people for long.
Yeah ... after thousands of years I'm sure it will turn around any day now.

All they have to do, to be blunt, is stop manufacturing for the west and turn investment inward. They have such a large population collectively that they could create a tier system and manufacture goods for themselves alone.
Hard to buy goods if you have no money. Have you checked the annual income in Southeast Asia or rural China lately?

Now, back to your remark Driven that Tariq Aziz is the ONLY Christian in Iraq government. Firstly, he's pretty high up there and autocratic. Secondly, how many do you want? Thirdly, how many Muslims, Hindus or Buddhists in the US cabinet?
Who cares?

My point being that you are using one man to say that Iraq isn't a Muslum country. (I don't care if it is or isn't. The problem with Iraq isn't religious.) You get all uptight when someone disrupts your little worldview and you change facts to fit. Example: "Asia isn't racist like the west". Then when it is shown to you that they are in fact worse than the modern west you change to "Yeah, but it's withering away and it's got to change ... folks can't live like that forever" (paraphrased).

Open your mind a bit please. Be less paranoid. There is good on both sides of the ocean, and bad too. Shades of gray if you will.

Anyway ... I'm done with this discussion. Feel free to change my words around to suit your next rant.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
[B]A comforting fact

Walking down a dark street, you see two people, one on each side.

One is a black male from Puerto Rico living on welfare for the past 6 months.

the other is an Irish Business Man.

Who is more likely to mug or kill you?

[/QB]
Why would you say the Irish Business man? (As opposed to a Brit or German?)

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 01:06 PM

Why would you say the Irish Business man? (As opposed to a Brit or German?)
Just an example. Your right. It could be anyone who is considered "white".

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 1, 2002, 01:08 PM

Yay! Pimphire has turned up!

Post Sosumi and shut up
Your wants and needs are of no concern to me.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2002, 01:13 PM

Statistically, minorities despite public opinion rarely attack anyone they don't know.
There's a reason right there not to meet any minorities.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 01:24 PM

Nice try ... ain't gonna work.

No no. No ad hominems please. You're showing ignorance beyond anything. You say Japanese are 'racist' against Koreans. Is it the shape of their eyes and color of their skin that the Japanese can't stand? OH, YOU MEAN SOMETHING ELSE. Any divide between them is not racial, it is political because of historical battles. Like France and England.

Do you know what racism is? I haven't seen much of it in Asia. Never have I seen Europeans racially profiled at airports even after hundreds of years of brutal colonial rule.

Then you bring up caste system. Again, not racially or ethnically based. This was the way all monarchies, even European ones to this day, maintained power. And since people typically inherited their work from their fathers then logically they needed a hand me down system to keep order. Again, this is not based on race and any nation, including western ones, with a class divide has the same. But the caste system, as you noted yourself, is illegal. Therefore it is a social artefact - a relic of the past as Christianity is in the West.

Just point me out the equivalent of blacks sitting at the back of the bus in Asia. And don't forget, if the US says it is the most modern nation and is the ideal system then it has no excuse for the atrocities it commits, the cultures it rapes, the racism it projects and the fundamentalists in its government. It is a contradictory state of affairs that Asian nations will learn from and improve upon just as the Founding Father of America tried to improve on what they had seen in Europe.

OreoCookie
Oct 1, 2002, 01:40 PM

Those black helicopters are making you paranoid.

If you actually read the article you'd see that the extra vigilence with regards to the border entry checks are also being performed on North Koreans (Not Muslums), and Cubans (also not Muslums). It's NOT being performed on some muslum countries (Thai Muslums or Indonesians or even Pakistanis as examples.)

Nothing wrong with adding some extra questioning for folks from areas that have a high-concentration of terrorists and anti-western activities.

I'd probably add a few more countries to the list. (Muslum and non-Muslum)
Does it make it any better if some other minorities are added?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Oct 1, 2002, 01:58 PM

Hindus have a caste system? It's not in the constitution and is a cultural artefact that is withering away. Like I said, old practises will wither away in Asia and they will be the dominant players because over 3 billion people can't live like third class people for long. All they have to do, to be blunt, is stop manufacturing for the west and turn investment inward. They have such a large population collectively that they could create a tier system and manufacture goods for themselves alone.

But that's not the route they will take. That's a demonstration of how 3 billion plus people can simply sink the West's dominance with little effort. It is how Gandhi and India ousted the Brits. By simply not co-operating anymore.

Japan is pretty conservative about foreigners. Only 1 % of the population is non-Asian! They have very strict laws concerning foreigners. You have to live there for 20 years to get the status of a permanent resident.

And there still is a problem with both Koreas because of the difficult relationship in the past (as pointed out earlier).

Still, there is no collective guilt, so don't draw any conclusions for an individual.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:

Japan is pretty conservative about foreigners. Only 1 % of the population is non-Asian! They have very strict laws concerning foreigners. You have to live there for 20 years to get the status of a permanent resident.
So? I grew up in Texas and at that time it took ages to get permanent residency. For my dad it took him 20 years to become British. That's still not racism. That's something completely different. Racism is when you get someone who is a black American and he has to sit at the back of the bus in America. Or when a bunch of LA policemen grab a young black kid, throw him against a car and then pound him in the face even though he weighs 120 pounds. And we're talking about the supposed leader of the free and modern world.

Asian countries aren't claiming that, I never said they were either. And regarding Driven's remarks about women's rights in Asia. Where were women's rights only a short time ago in Europe? Where are a woman's rights when businessmen coerce them into spreading their legs for money? I don't mind a bit of pornography but one thing that pisses me off is when westerner's point their fingers at women in other nations as if they too should deal with the same **** that women in the West have to put up with. Neither the West or the Muslim world has it right when it comes to woman's rights. They are both opposite extremes of sexploitation.

And Christianity is not exactly a woman's rights movement, Driven. Islam got it's treatment of women from Judaism and Christianity. Where can people worship god in the female form? India.

finboy
Oct 1, 2002, 02:18 PM

Alrighty then!

Please, PLEASE seek professional help! They can sometimes treat this kind of paranoia on an outpatient basis.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by finboy:

Alrighty then!

Please, PLEASE seek professional help! They can sometimes treat this kind of paranoia on an outpatient basis.
Been watching Dr. Phil lately?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 04:23 PM

So? I grew up in Texas and at that time it took ages to get permanent residency. For my dad it took him 20 years to become British. That's still not racism. That's something completely different. Racism is when you get someone who is a black American and he has to sit at the back of the bus in America. Or when a bunch of LA policemen grab a young black kid, throw him against a car and then pound him in the face even though he weighs 120 pounds. And we're talking about the supposed leader of the free and modern world.

Asian countries aren't claiming that, I never said they were either. And regarding Driven's remarks about women's rights in Asia. Where were women's rights only a short time ago in Europe? Where are a woman's rights when businessmen coerce them into spreading their legs for money? I don't mind a bit of pornography but one thing that pisses me off is when westerner's point their fingers at women in other nations as if they too should deal with the same **** that women in the West have to put up with. Neither the West or the Muslim world has it right when it comes to woman's rights. They are both opposite extremes of sexploitation.

And Christianity is not exactly a woman's rights movement, Driven. Islam got it's treatment of women from Judaism and Christianity. Where can people worship god in the female form? India.
Nobody brought Christianity into this you illiterate moron. You haven't got a clue which is completely obvious by the way your topics jump all over the place. Women's rights in Asia? You haven't got a clue. And you are right ... they don't make certain etnic groups sit in the back of the bus .. they simply don't let them ON the bus. (I thought that was obvious when I said that they don't let them in certain establishments earlier.) If they ban ethnic groups from buildings they aren't going to let these same folks on their bus. How do they tell these etnic groups apart? As I mentioned earlier, but you ignored: Skin color. If that isn't racism I don't know what is.

I fully believe that you are a troll here to simply push buttons. Now run along ... I am done being amused by you.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 1, 2002, 04:36 PM

Nobody brought Christianity into this you illiterate moron. You haven't got a clue which is completely obvious by the way your topics jump all over the place. Women's rights in Asia? You haven't got a clue. And you are right ... they don't make certain etnic groups sit in the back of the bus .. they simply don't let them ON the bus.
And thus endeth the final chapter of the Book of Our Lord, Wilson Peacock.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 06:06 PM

No no. No ad hominems please. You're showing ignorance beyond anything. You say Japanese are 'racist' against Koreans. Is it the shape of their eyes and color of their skin that the Japanese can't stand? OH, YOU MEAN SOMETHING ELSE. Any divide between them is not racial, it is political because of historical battles. Like France and England.

Do you know what racism is? I haven't seen much of it in Asia. Never have I seen Europeans racially profiled at airports even after hundreds of years of brutal colonial rule.

Then you bring up caste system. Again, not racially or ethnically based. This was the way all monarchies, even European ones to this day, maintained power. And since people typically inherited their work from their fathers then logically they needed a hand me down system to keep order. Again, this is not based on race and any nation, including western ones, with a class divide has the same. But the caste system, as you noted yourself, is illegal. Therefore it is a social artefact - a relic of the past as Christianity is in the West.

Just point me out the equivalent of blacks sitting at the back of the bus in Asia. And don't forget, if the US says it is the most modern nation and is the ideal system then it has no excuse for the atrocities it commits, the cultures it rapes, the racism it projects and the fundamentalists in its government. It is a contradictory state of affairs that Asian nations will learn from and improve upon just as the Founding Father of America tried to improve on what they had seen in Europe.
Well, never been to Japan myself (really want to go though, if I have the cash and the time), but know quite a few who have, some Japaneese Americans, and some Americans (For what it's worth, most were white, and one black family that I can think of off hand). There experiences with Japan were that it's a pretty racist country. But they don't think it's anything more than here in the US.

OreoCookie
Oct 1, 2002, 06:41 PM

Well, never been to Japan myself (really want to go though, if I have the cash and the time), but know quite a few who have, some Japaneese Americans, and some Americans (For what it's worth, most were white, and one black family that I can think of off hand). There experiences with Japan were that it's a pretty racist country. But they don't think it's anything more than here in the US.
That is about the same I have heard.

I will be able to test that in a year.

El Pres, you shouldn't talk about stuff you don't have a clue about.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 06:44 PM

we stopped?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2002, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:

That is about the same I have heard.

I will be able to test that in a year.

El Pres, you shouldn't talk about stuff you don't have a clue about.

Several areas in Western Europe, as well as parts of Russia itself I have been told are the least racist of all areas. They are one of the few that actually welcome diversity. Don't remember names per say (wish I could, but they look like random letters to me). In cities where there were colleges, the people are very intelegent and actually desire to be part of the western world, and understand more cultures. For them it's a learning experience as well as a way for them to make conversation.

Kind of odd how the most opressed in this sense turn out to be the complete opposite on their own... Yet countries built on diversity such as the US contain so many who can't stand diversity.

The less educated a person is, the more racist they tend to be. That's not to say that all intelegent people arn't racist, or vice versa, but it's a somewhat regular pattern.

hayesk
Oct 1, 2002, 07:59 PM

No. It's cow abuse. You shouldn't eat beef otherwise you'll be punished. In your next life you will be born in the Bush family.
But if we didn't eat beef, those cows would never have been born. I couldn't be that cruel.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 10:31 PM

Just so I've got this straight...

When the US pays special attention to persons from certain countries deemed dangerous, it's not a political act, it's "racial profiling".

When Japan hates Korea so much it enslaves the people there for half a century, it's not racially motivated, it's political.

When I need to get away from it all, I will have to remember to consider a trip to the magical world you live in, El Pre$.

--Josh

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
Just so I've got this straight...

When the US pays special attention to persons from certain countries deemed dangerous, it's not a political act, it's "racial profiling".

When Japan hates Korea so much it enslaves the people there for half a century, it's not racially motivated, it's political.

When I need to get away from it all, I will have to remember to consider a trip to the magical world you live in, El Pre$.
Get ready to be verbally attacked, or accused of spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt -- makes no sense, but not much he writes does).

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 12:18 AM

Japanese racism? What Japanese racism?

The Japanese people believed they were the supreme race, not only in East Asia, but throughout the entire world. This feeling of superiority and prejudice over the rest of the world helped push their belief of domination over East Asia. Their feelings of nationalism were also shown through their belief in the Co-Prosperity Sphere. The Japanese had strong feelings of nationalism and racism that pushed them to cruelty against prisoners of war from other countries such as China and the United States. (John Dower, Three Narratives of Our Humanity, p.205)
One of the ways this 'non-existant' racism manifested itself:

The Japanese government in their ideal of the superior race punished inferiors. Throughout time many examples of their brutality are shown. The rape of Nanking is one of the best examples of the Japanese brutality in their quest for domination. Even though there are accounts of these massacres, the Japanese government still denies it ever went on.
Between the December of 1937 and March of 1938, the Japanese army carried out of the biggest massacres known in history. This event, the rape of Nanking, is known referred to many people as the forgotten holocaust. Many people tend to compare this even to the holocaust in Europe. However, this event can�t in definition be a holocaust. A holocaust is a death by fire. People weren�t killed by fire in the rape of Nanking.

The Japanese had been invading China for a long time. They started with Manchuria and worked their way down south. When they reached the city of Nanking, many Chinese soldiers, fearing what would happen to them if they surrendered, disguised themselves in civilian clothing to hide from the Japanese army. Little did they know that this would not stop the Japanese army from killing them .

In this time period, the Japanese army killed 300,000 people and raped over 20,000 women. Most of the women who were raped were killed shortly after. Many civilians and suspected soldiers, who disguised themselves as civilians, were rounded up and killed. The dead were then piled high in to mounds of dead bodies. Many people were also drenched in gasoline and torched alive. While all of this was going on, high ranking Japanese officials knew of these massacres and rapes, however, they did nothing to stop them. Many of the high ranking officials approved of this, believing that these rapes and killings were actually morale boosters for their men. (Iris Chang, The Rape of Nanking, p1)

Nope. No 'back of the bus' ever in Asia. Just two rounds in the back of the head.

Just 'politics' probably.

El Pre$idente  (op)
Banned
Oct 2, 2002, 12:27 AM

Like I said to someone on iChat, I bring up Asia's future changes and dominance and someone else brings up 1938 or the age of the Samurais. Amazing.

Let's set this straight again. The USA claims to be the leader of the modern democratic world TODAY. Nobody else is doing that and yet the nation is rife with racism and communal strife.

The Asia I spoke about is the Asia of TOMORROW which will have a very large and ethnically diverse metropolitan community including people from all over the world, that would also include ex-Americans who will leave the US behind for the theocrats and white supremacists to control.

The Grand Canyon will become the next Tora Bora. Mark my words.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 12:45 AM

Like I said to someone on iChat, I bring up Asia's future changes and dominance and someone else brings up 1938 or the age of the Samurais. Amazing.
"Racism is when you get someone who is a black American and he has to sit at the back of the bus in America."
Riiiight. And this happend just yesterday.

The Asia I spoke about is the Asia of TOMORROW which will have a very large and ethnically diverse metropolitan community including people from all over the world blah blah blah...
Wow, was that your 'I have a dream' speech?

Forum Links
Forum Rules