Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Oct. ATI driver update any good?

Oct. ATI driver update any good?
mrcorwin
Oct 16, 2002, 04:17 PM

Their servers are jammed, has anybody tried it out yet? Or, could someone mirror it for me? THX

strategem9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2002, 04:49 PM

I was having the same problems, not being able to download it because of their servers, but I just tried again and downloaded it fine. Seems to be working fine on my system, PowerMac G4 400 AGP, with an original Mac Radeon Edition card, 32 Mb. When I installed Jaguar, I didn't have the shadow on my cursor, but after installing the ATI Update I have it.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2002, 05:59 PM

They still haven't fixed the over 1 gig of ram problem Im having(radeon(PCI)). it is documented but apple and ati are doing nothing about it. But other than that its great. I was hopeing for a fix for the ram bug but nope.
REAL
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

michel
Oct 16, 2002, 06:21 PM

"They still haven't fixed the over 1 gig of ram problem Im having(radeon(PCI)). it is documented but apple and ati are doing nothing about it. But other than that its great. I was hopeing for a fix for the ram bug but nope. "

Can you detail what you mean by this problem? Might be something affecting me as well.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2002, 06:38 PM

I still haven't been able to download it.

I could host it on my iDisk if someone would be kind enough to send it my way...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2002, 07:32 PM

The server must be rammed, You'd think they would set up mirrors for this sort of thing (and get apple to do through the 'update' app, it is an important update for most folks). I've only managed to get a 164KB 'generic file' Is the full updater an app?

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2002, 07:55 PM

Hi!
Does anybody know if the drivers are newer than those in 10.2.1?

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 08:12 PM

peps still need it? i got it at 180k a sec! but i'll put it on my idisk if u want still.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 08:32 PM

ok so far i noticed it brings the ati utility app for jag, so peps with tv out can control the picture, like me with my 8500, it also adds more FSAA at higher res and antoscoptic texture rendering, but still no deinterlacing fro dvd under jag it also left the driver install in my ATI Utilities folder incase i screw up something i guess...

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 08:58 PM

ok been playing a few games and such and i see a noticable speed increase on my machine in games (max payne and Wc3 so far) and in the OS, mainly in ichat windows.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
peps still need it? i got it at 180k a sec! but i'll put it on my idisk if u want still.
Have you ever heard of editing your posts? I swear, 90% of your postscount must be pointless additions that could have just as easily been added to a previous post.

I would like the file, though. What's your .Mac username?

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2002, 09:35 PM

installed the update. there is a noticeable speed difference in the finder. also fired up Unreal Tournament PR3 and it seems to run a few frames higher than before. no biggie but a noticeable improvement.
RAdeon 7000 PCI. 10.2.1. 8600 w/ 400 G3 512MB RAM
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

Have you ever heard of editing your posts? I swear, 90% of your postscount must be pointless additions that could have just as easily been added to a previous post.

I would like the file, though. What's your .Mac username?
that's the way to sweet-talk them.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
that's the way to sweet-talk them.
Meh, I already got it from a different source.

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2002, 11:40 PM

I'm still having problems with my RADEON 8500 an DVI...

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 11:54 PM

its justa board dude, let ti go.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 11:57 PM

Very nice update. Finder window resizing and scrolling is as smooth as glass, and I can now run in 1280x1024 without an ugly black box around everything. I have a G4/400 and a Radeon 8500, and gaming is just fine A far cry from the Rage 128 and OS 10.0 days of yesteryear...

Edit: Wow. Not only is scrolling in Chimera smooth (not Omniweb, that takes Dad's dual gig to make it smooth:/), it stops when I stop moving the mouse wheel.
( Last edited by Gul Banana; Oct 17, 2002 at 12:02 AM. )
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2002, 12:13 AM

still no update for me. download from ati's mirror2 is a blazing 600 bytes/sec. don't let that power overwhelm all of you.

foamy
Senior User
Oct 17, 2002, 12:30 AM

I got it and scrolling on my TiBook with Chimera is noticeably faster.

BTW anyone know what the "ATI part 2" in /Apps/Utils/ATI Utils is for? I installed it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2002, 12:48 AM

When the copy finishes, it will be available temporarily from http://homepage.mac.com/amake/RADEON-0120.sit

ATI Part 2 installs the items that you need to enter your admin password for. It gets run during the normal install, so there's no need to run it again.

By the way, you might want to repair your permissions after installing this. OS X disagrees with the mods/owner/group on just about every file.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 17, 2002, 12:50 AM

I somehow doubt the drivers make anything 'noticeably faster'. Seems to me that it's always the same people that find Snappiness� in every single OS or app upgrade.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2002, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
I somehow doubt the drivers make anything 'noticeably faster'. Seems to me that it's always the same people that find Snappiness� in every single OS or app upgrade.
Well if you make sh�tty drivers like ATi is known for, then making a good set could make a huge difference. I only use my ATi 7000 for the TV out, my two main monitors are hooked up to a GeForce 4 MX. I assume these drivers will be part of 10.2.2, ill get them then.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Oct 17, 2002, 01:40 AM

I whole-heartedly agree with this. However, that being said my frame-rate in iTunes went from 15-19 to 21-25. That seems decently improved to me. But that, and scrolling in word (which I just updated) is all I've noticed.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 02:25 AM

WOW, good look on the iTUnes, i went from lik 29-32 to 38-41! nice!

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 03:03 AM

No change in FPS on iTunes for me after installing this update. I've got a DP G4 500, with AGP Radeon.

Gameplay in Warcraft3 seems to be a bit smoother, and I don't see any of the problems the people over at versiontracker seem to be complaining about.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2002, 08:22 AM

for those who think drivers dont improve anything...then dont use them. the rest of us will enjoy our faster performance.
drivers can make a world of difference in the performance of a device. they can find new ways to handle certain tasks that can change speed greatly. why do you think my Geforce 256 on my PC has lasted as long has it has? the PC Nvidia Detonator drivers are contantly being tweaked to make things better. ATI has made really crappy drivers in the past. Any improvement would be better.
After the ATI update the Finder is noticeably faster, OpenGL has a BIG improvement (3-5 frames). thats doesn't seem like much, but it is.
This update at least makes me feel good in my purchase of the Radeon 7000 last week. That coupled with my 800 G4 upgrade that is on the way will make my 8600 last me for another year or so until I can get a G5.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 17, 2002, 08:39 AM

The only speed improvements I've heard so far (except for the Warcraft speed improvement) was 2D speed.

I once heard (from nVidia?) that 2D was easy and that most drivers out there were using the optimal algorithms and that there was absolutely no way to improve 2D significantly ever again. But 3D was a whole difference ballgame.

But I guess nVidia was pulling my leg. I'll never trust another word from any company or anyone ever again.

But seriously...you'd think that after 20 years, optimal performances would be seen through 2D video. No? Maybe not.

Normally, performance should go up every release. I've never heard of someone reverting back to old, less-efficient code after a rewrite or upgrade.

So what exactly is going on here?

cwasko
Senior User
Oct 17, 2002, 09:06 AM

2D performance doesn't seem to be any faster for me, I'm not big into games so I'm not sure about the 3D performance. However, the drivers do fix a problem I was having. I started a thread about the problem a few days ago:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=127199

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2002, 09:09 AM

well, i dont know what graphics card makers think.
but, they always find a way to make things better. my Geforce 256 for the PC is a good example.
It was basically a "Geforce 1". I could have gotten a 2, 3, or 4 when they were released...but why? my original GeForce could still handle anything i threw at it. i can blast people in Max Payne at a very smooth frame rate. Everything else I throw at it: Black and White, Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament, Sims, Quake III, and pretty much everything else runs great. I only have a 1 Ghz AMD Athlon in that PC. The original Nvidia drivers sucked. Each release just gets better and better eeking out just a bit more performance.
ATI likes to sit on their ass when it comes to drivers. SO as I said any improvement is welcome.
Also remember that Jaguar uses a completely new 2D rendering engine that has never been used before. ATI still has to learn how to optimize their drivers to take advantage of it.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2002, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Very nice update. Finder window resizing and scrolling is as smooth as glass, and I can now run in 1280x1024 without an ugly black box around everything. I have a G4/400 and a Radeon 8500, and gaming is just fine A far cry from the Rage 128 and OS 10.0 days of yesteryear...

Edit: Wow. Not only is scrolling in Chimera smooth (not Omniweb, that takes Dad's dual gig to make it smooth:/), it stops when I stop moving the mouse wheel.
I second that. Finder resize is, as you say, much smoother. In fact it is now actually completely smooth. Scrolling is much improved. It is now close to being actually smooth.

Update did not solve my wake-from-sleep problem, but that is probaly either Jag, the PWL 1ghz upgrade or a combination.

Spec: Cube 1GHZ, OEM Radeon 32MB, 640 RAM.

Sophus

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2002, 11:18 AM

The ATI update had two noticable effects for me:

1) On my Radeon Mac Edition (retail) in my 450 G4, I saw the drop-shadow arrow cursor for the first time.

2) A bug that I had under pre-Jag OS X reappeared. When using the eyedropper tool in any of several Macromedia apps (Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash), I'd get the XOR of the color chosen off the screen (black for white, yellow for blue, etc.) This got fixed in Jaguar, stayed fixed in 10.2.1, and then reappeared with this update. This was a fairly uncommon problem, but I've seen posts from others who had it on these boards.

This is a bad enough consequence that I actually removed the update by restoring from a backup volume.

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 12:30 PM

i was unsure if this update supports the ATI Radeon 7500 or not. does anyone know?

i went ahead and installed it anyway and it seems to work although i don't notice anything is different from before.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 17, 2002, 01:05 PM

So all this time (or most of the time) ATI was to blame about scrolling and resize issues and not Apple?

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2002, 01:40 PM

So all this time (or most of the time) ATI was to blame about scrolling and resize issues and not Apple?
quite possible. all the iMacs/eMacs ive seen with Nvidia cards all seem to have less graphical problems than ATI based machines.

bseely
Oct 17, 2002, 01:46 PM

I dont' think so - I haven't noticed any problems specific to the ATI cards.

Granted, I see poor interface performance on a Rage 128 Pro compared to a GeForce 4MX, but I don't think that's an ATI-Nvidia thing. Switching up to a Radeon 8500 made quite an improvement - but switching from a Radeon 8500 to a GeForce TI 4600 didn't make any noticeable difference in interface performance.

-blake

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 01:50 PM

I just put it on my PBg4 667 rev b and everything visual has been improved. I love this even tho I shouldnt touch it...

However it changed the setting for subpixel rendering from lcd to crt for me, just thought i would let everyone know it did that.

lates...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2002, 02:38 PM

ATI's Servers are still being leathered (after over 24 hours?). Anyone fancy setting up a mirror?

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 03:25 PM

DP 500mhz with Mac Radeon card. No difference for me. Finder re-size and static window resizes have was always been smooth(browser windows, iphoto, and ical still suck). iTunes visualizations may actually be slower. They still range from 35-45fps, but I (subjectively) notice the effects with more fps in the high 30s (vs the low 40s before the update)
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2002, 03:51 PM

Will this have any effect on my new iBook 700Mhz? ATI's website sucks so bad I was completely unable to determine what type of chip I have in my machine. Apple's web site says it is a 16MB ATI Mobility Radeon, but gives no other info. Strangely, ASP says it is an ATY, RageM6.

Also, where are you guys downloading this driver? Their site seems completely unable to handle the load. The download keeps stalling after about 200k.

thanks,
kman

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2002, 03:56 PM

i havnt tried it on my iBook 500 yet. according to the docs though it says this update is for all ATI cards not just retail cards like the previous versions.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2002, 04:03 PM

yeah, the download still sucks. mine crapped out last night after 4-5 MB. would be wonderful to get a mirror, but I think the mirror would get hammered, too. but it's only 10 MB, which is pathetic if ati's server(s) can't handle it.

deathandtaxes
Oct 17, 2002, 04:05 PM

I upgraded the ATI drivers and all the graphics on Warcraft III on my PB/550 are screwed up. Don't do it unless you don't care.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 04:18 PM

I upgraded my Pismo last night. So far I haven't seen any problems. The finder seems a little bit faster as does scrolling in excel.

--ranga

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 04:27 PM

I tried Chimera to dl it and it was stuck at less than 1k a sec, then i tried IE and i got around 130k a sec.

I dont think their servers are overloaded, i think something is wrong tho, just keep trying and you should get a good feed.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2002, 05:38 PM

At first I got pissed that you guys totally missed the fact that I posted earlier with a link to a copy of the driver on my iDisk. Then I realized that the link was wrong. So here it is:

http://homepage.mac.com/amake/RADEON-0210.sit

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 06:28 PM

*snip*

never mind. Runs well.
( Last edited by Brazuca; Oct 17, 2002 at 06:38 PM. )
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2002, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the Mirror, I did try the earlier link.
In case wataru's iDisk hits it's limit (if I was in the states I would send you a dollar to put to wards your .Mac charge) the driver is also up on my ISP provided web space (I know of no bandwith limit)
ATI Driver update mirror do a 'save link as' it seams that my ISP has not got there servers set up for .sit files
P.S.
please don't spread this link around the net, even though my ISP has no 'specified' Bandwidth limitations or charges on this space. I am sure something would happen if 100's of people tried to download a 10mb file on my free space, all at the same time.

McDriver
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2002, 07:17 PM

I did a run with the diskrepair after the upgrade and of course it repaired a lot of permissions related to the new install. Why is it like this? Everytime you install something the permissions get screwed up.

and on this issue I know I have the people behind me. Far, far behind me

cwasko
Senior User
Oct 17, 2002, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by McDriver:
I did a run with the diskrepair after the upgrade and of course it repaired a lot of permissions related to the new install. Why is it like this? Everytime you install something the permissions get screwed up.
Probably becasue the installer doesn't set the permissions correctly. Or maybe the installers don't even ahev the ability to set the permissions. I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but it is most definately due to the installer.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2002, 08:59 PM

tried the update on my iBook 500. seems openGL is about the same for me, but 2D performance, especially scrolling is much improved.
i have to say ATI finally is getting somewhere with its X drivers....FINALLY!

Forum Links
Forum Rules