Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help - iSync won't sync Contacts anymore! (just Calendars)

Help - iSync won't sync Contacts anymore! (just Calendars)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2003, 04:37 PM

I'm stuck.

I'd synchronized my Siemens S55, iPod, and .Mac previously with no problems since the release of iSync 1.1.

Today, I decided to clean out my Address Book, removing old duplicates, etc.

Every time I synced, all entries I'd deleted would show up again, with no way to NOT copy them over to the Mac other than just cancelling the entire sync.

So: I decided to reset the devices (whatever it is in English; it's in the Devices menu, just below "Begin Sync"), using the computer as the master.

Since then, I've had major problems:

- No contacts from the Mac will be transferred to either the Siemens or the iPod. I've re-paired, re-setup, and re-checked all settings to no avail.

- New entries made on the phone WILL sync to the iPod (and, I presume, .Mac), but NOT to the Mac!

WTF!

Any ideas? I really, really, need my Address book back on my mobile.

-s*

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2003, 03:42 AM

Give this a try. From the .Mac discussion boards:

In certain circumstances, no amount of troubleshooting seems to correct an iSync 1.x-related issue. If you have found this to be the case, the following information should cover everything that you can do to reset iSync, completely removing all traces of it from your hard drive prior to reinstalling it:

After launching iSync, choose Reset All Devices from the Devices menu, and be sure to select "This Computer" from the pop-up menu. Then, quit iSync.

If you had ever installed iSync Beta, download/run iSync Uninstall 1.0 to remove any traces of iSync Beta from your hard drive; otherwise, skip to step 3 (note that using this iSync Beta uninstaller may remove certain components described below)

Delete iSync.pkg from /Library/Receipts/

Delete the iSync application from /Applications/ (if present)

Delete com.apple.isync.plist and com.apple.isync.registry.plist from /Users/username/Library/Preferences/

Delete /Library/Application Support/SyncService/

Delete /Users/username/Library/Application Support/SyncService/

If you have used a Palm OS device with iSync and/or have installed the iSync Palm package, delete the following files:
_
/Library/Receipts/iSync_Palm.pkg
_
/Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Conduits/Apple
_
/Users/USERNAME1/Documents/Palm/Users/USERNAME2/Conduit Settings/iSync Conduit Settings
_
where "USERNAME1" is your Mac OS X username on your Macintosh, and USERNAME2 is your Palm OS device's username

If you have used the Address Book Sync functionality of the .Mac Website, login to the .Mac Website, click on Address Book, then click Preferences, then uncheck "Turn on .Mac Address Book Synchronization"

Download/install iSync 1.1 from http://www.apple.com/isync/

Perform a sync between your devices, but do not register your computer with .Mac yet (if your computer already shows as registered, unregister it before you perform your first sync)

Register your computer with .Mac, preferably under a different computer name than was used previously

Perform a sync between your devices and .Mac
( Last edited by xi_hyperon; Jul 12, 2003 at 03:47 AM. )

Spheric Harlot  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2003, 12:20 PM

You, sir, are my hero.

Thank you so much!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2003, 08:39 PM

I'm glad to hear it helped!

Spheric Harlot  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2003, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I'm glad to hear it helped!
So was I.

Oh, yes.

I'd searched the Knowledge Base and these forums, but not the Apple support forums

Thank you.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules