Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.3 observations

10.4.3 observations (Page 5)
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 09:34 AM

Since updating to 10.4.3 on my iBook 500 I was experiencing a weird sleep problem. The machine went to sleep ok, but when I tried to wake it, it just powered off.

I was going to post this in the iBook forum as I searched and couldn't find a problem similar.

I reset the PMU, it made no difference.

I reset Open Firmware and the PRAM and that did seem to work. Its fine now.

Just thought I'd post it here in case anyone experienced anything similar.

Edit:

Actually, its not fine, its just intermittent.

Anyone any ideas or should I just report a bug?
( Last edited by ShotgunEd; Nov 5, 2005 at 11:32 AM. )

crooner
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 12:38 PM

Thanks to everyone who checked out Bank of America for me!
I've since applied the update but did so in my usual, obsessive compulsive, overprotective way:

Disconnected all external drives and other FireWire devises.

Booted from CD and repaired my drive.

Booted from my drive and repaired permissions.

Downloaded the COMBO updater. (Always the combo.)

Stood on my right foot while patting my head with my left hand while whistling the theme from "I Dream of Genie."

Applied the update.

Switched to my left foot and right hand. Thought about what a moron Major Nelson was asking Genie to do chores and sh*t like that. I mean, JESUS... look at her! Let’s just say my wishes would be a bit more creative (read: perverted and suitable for viewing on a new iPod )

Restarted and repaired permissions again.

Things were okay but I did get more fan noise just as many of you have reported. A a few hours ago I ran Tiger cache Cleaner and rebooted. So far so good. I hope it stays that way.

BTW, I'm well aware that going through all that rigmarole for an update is a bit of a PITA, but I've done it on nearly every update and it always proves to be worth the extra bit of time.

Now if Apple could release an update that would increase by Bank of America account balance...

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 07:10 PM

I think it would be great if Apple re-released Tiger as "Panther With Spotlight". That would be awesome!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I think it would be great if Apple re-released Tiger as "Panther With Spotlight". That would be awesome!

DarwinX
Nov 5, 2005, 10:26 PM

What's that? Oh...ignorance is bliss. My bad!

C'mon dude. There's a lot more to Tiger and it's well documented.

Tiger is very important now and moving foreward.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 06:03 AM

It's only TheSpaz: that\s why I said it would have been good if he couldn't post since January 2005, as he claimed in his pathetic signature some days ago

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2005, 08:23 AM

@Appleman, you read it all wrong . it's November 2005. All the Americans get the date wrong. just like they do with everything else f.ex miles and inches.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
@Appleman, you read it all wrong . it's November 2005. All the Americans get the date wrong. just like they do with everything else f.ex miles and inches.
I know. I made a joke (?) that I wished it was European style, since that would mean he could not have posted since January...

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by crooner
Stood on my right foot while patting my head with my left hand while whistling the theme from "I Dream of Genie."

You have it all wrong, her name is Jeannie and she is a Genie. 35+ yrs later, she still looks awesome.

FHuman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
it breaks my firewire...&^%$

I had that too. I downloaded & installed the complete update from 10.4.2 with external Firewire disk shut off. Then after restart switched it on again and lo & behold: Firewire is back again.
Strange behaviour though ...

Frank

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2005, 10:07 AM

I was kidding! It's just, a lot of things worked better in Panther, then they had to go and change everything and start all over again... I hope by 10.4.9 Tiger will be up to Panther status.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 10:07 AM

I was kidding! It's just, a lot of things worked better in Panther, then they had to go and change everything and start all over again... I hope by 10.4.9 Tiger will be up to Panther status.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2005, 11:03 AM

Why does everyone always have to get all over my case? I have a right to have an opinion. What's the deal with the stupid face icons... if you have something to say about a post... then say it... don't just put a dumb little face there... that doesn't say anything... in fact, it's pretty much a waste of a post where a useful post would be.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2005, 12:12 PM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2005, 12:37 PM

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 12:45 PM

Why does everyone always have to get all over my case?
I would say it is because of the type of remarks you post. Like " I hope by 10.4.9 Tiger will be up to Panther status."

Tiger has had its growing pains, but implying the above statement is only going to incite some of those who frequent this forum to respond in a manner which seems to upset you.

Your response to someone's post, while trying to help you or provide suggestions to a problem, is often terse.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 02:43 PM

If TheSpaz can have an opinion, so can everyone else.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 02:45 PM

Let's go back to the topic

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2005, 08:32 PM

Tiger is a big disappointment and a let down. I can't wait until Tiger is dead. The only reason I use Tiger is because I paid (stupidly) for it and I don't want to waste my $129 (which it was NOT worth) and also because I like NOT being able to print a whole document at once.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2005, 10:15 PM

Yes, we've all heard your comments spaz. But, as it's been proven in countless threads, the vast majority don't agree with you.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

poocat
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 12:56 AM

Seriously people, just hit "report abuse" and be done with it. He says the same thing in every single thread, no matter the topic. It's annoying, but no use feeding, except perhaps with that awesome smiley.

D'oh. I fed it.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

poocat
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 12:57 AM

Stupid Safari beachball.
Stupid impatient poocat.
( Last edited by poocat; Nov 7, 2005 at 11:43 AM. )
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2005, 08:18 AM

Tiger is a big disappointment and a let down. I can't wait until Tiger is dead. The only reason I use Tiger is because I paid (stupidly) for it and I don't want to waste my $129 (which it was NOT worth) and also because I like NOT being able to print a whole document at once.

For you it is but for me it is MUCH better than panther. Faster, more stable, more features
tons of bug fixes etc...

Maybe it is better because I'm on a Dual 2.5GHz G5 and apple spent more time getting
it to rock on G5's then older boxes?

Anyway IMHO the OpenGL improvements alone make the upgrade worth it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Groovy
For you it is but for me it is MUCH better than panther. Faster, more stable, more features
tons of bug fixes etc...

Maybe it is better because I'm on a Dual 2.5GHz G5 and apple spent more time getting
it to rock on G5's then older boxes?
The improvements on G3 boxen are quite noticeable. Polished to the max.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
The improvements on G3 boxen are quite noticeable. Polished to the max.
I would agree. Our old iMac works very well with Tiger vs. Panther.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2005, 07:09 PM

I think the performance difference between Tiger and Panther isn't that great. It's about the same in my opinion.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 07:38 PM

I think the performance difference between Tiger and Panther isn't that great. It's about the same in my opinion.
I think someone should be funny and make an Applescript out of your forum replies. Kind of like the "My Jewish Mother" one for Adium.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2005, 11:27 PM

Why does everyone always have to get all over my case?
it's pretty much a waste of a post where a useful post would be.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2005, 07:43 AM

I think 10.4.3 has done something to my firewire too. My hard drive is mounting fine but sometimes when I copy stuff to it, it will make the noise that happens when it is unmounted (on my particular drive, it is a sort of click) and the copy freezes. It's happened about 3 or 4 times since upgrading. It's never done that before.

It happened during a DVD burn which was very annoying because I had a good run of 50 or so DVDs without coasters. Why don't Apple test their updates properly? It's as if they are focusing all their support efforts on the more expensive high-end computers .

I was actually hoping it would improve some performance but Safari actually seems a bit slower to me. Spotlight is about the same but maybe a touch faster.

Nov 8, 2005, 07:54 AM

Just for the record: setting processor performance to "highest" fixed my problem (introduced by 10.4.3) with the fans frequently spinning up for no apparent reason (processor temperature way too low; DP G5 2.3).

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 02:15 PM

Sorry, multiple post...
( Last edited by Taipan; Nov 8, 2005 at 02:23 PM. )

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 02:18 PM

Sorry, multiple post

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by voo
Theres another thing with Safari I wonder if anyone is getting this aswell... upon first launch say after you switch the computer on or clear Safari's cache, load these forums/Macthemes forums or anything with lots of graphics, Safari seems to lag while scrolling just before the page loads. It is quite jerky like its sucking alot of CPU after that it is smooth. Even with 4.2 during and after page loads it was smooth.

Wonder if anyone is experiencing this?
Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the same thing that you're experiencing, but I noticed that scrolling in Safari is pretty laggy while the page is still being loaded. Once it's completely loaded scrolling is fine. I'm not entirely sure that this hadn't been the case before, but since it struck me now it probably hadn't.
Additionally, Safari now occasionally takes a break when loading pages (meaning the progress "circle" keeps spinning for about a minute or so without anything happening, then at some point it continues normally). All pages being loaded at that moment are affected, not only one. At first I blamed my AirPort connection, which has always been a little flaky (is that the correct word, seems odd to my at the moment), though that might also be the router's fault. But then I noticed that a ping to the affected site works OK and IE loads it flawlessly.

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2005, 02:43 PM

Today, I went to MacDailyNews and click on this link http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/7501/

When I then did a control F (while in safari) to find some text, a popup window came up and it WOULD NOT let me find anytext on the page even though the find box was still up. In fact, I could not even type any text in the find window.

I have pop-ups blocked in Safari.

Has anybody else seen this? This is starting to remind me of browsing while in windows.

- Mark

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by sc_markt
Has anybody else seen this? This is starting to remind me of browsing while in windows.
Everything works fine here. Still reminds me of browsing on a Mac.
-- Jason

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
Everything works fine here. Still reminds me of browsing on a Mac.

I just tried it again and I still get the popup. At first, hitting Apple-F (find in safari) didn't do it but after about a minute in the page, I got the pop up and safari would not let me type anything in the find box.

Try spending about a minute in that page reading the comments and then try finding some text (in safari).

- Mark

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2005, 10:07 PM

^ Yep, I got that too.

Also, I had some web site somewhere put up a pop-up as soon as I tried to hide Safari via Command-H and then immediately close it, thus preventing me from hiding it. I don't remember what site that was, but apparently people are finding ways around Safari's pop-up blocker again...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2005, 10:43 PM

Well, I'm sorry to hear that... But I do feel a little better knowing that its not just me.

- Mark

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2005, 11:07 PM

I'm getting pop-ups with Safari too but not just with the update. I really wonder why companies bother with them. I would like to see some stats one how much money a pop-up actually generates. Most of the time, I see pop-ups for smilies. Has anyone ever bought anything from a pop-up ad?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 11:17 PM

Don't you love those pop-up ads that talk about annoying pop-ups?

"Use this Pop-Up Blocker to block POP-UPs TODAY!"

I also believe VH1 was the first to use Pop-Ups (Pop-Up-Video).

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by sc_markt
Today, I went to MacDailyNews and click on this link http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/7501/

When I then did a control F (while in safari) to find some text, a popup window came up and it WOULD NOT let me find anytext on the page even though the find box was still up. In fact, I could not even type any text in the find window.

I have pop-ups blocked in Safari.

- Mark
Do not get this...
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by osxrules
I'm getting pop-ups with Safari too but not just with the update. I really wonder why companies bother with them. I would like to see some stats one how much money a pop-up actually generates. Most of the time, I see pop-ups for smilies. Has anyone ever bought anything from a pop-up ad?
It is hard to resist once they promise to enhance your sex life )))
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by zign
It is hard to resist once they promise to enhance your sex life )))
Only to those who need it improved . Yeah, that means me too .

BTW, those people who are seeing some lagging in Safari, you may want to check out Safari's virtual memory use. Under 10.4.3, it's been shooting up to over 2GB for me. That is just insane. It's fixed by just restarting Safari. Looks like I'll have to restart it every day just like before.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 07:36 PM

Yesterday I synced my iPod Shuffle with my PB 12" 1.5 (previous to current model) since installing 10.4.3. To my surprise, upon connecting the device, the fan came in. After a few seconds, my PowerBook was turned into the most expensive and versatile hairdryer ever. The symptom was independent from the sync or charging state of the iPod.
By the way, this did not happened before.
Could someone verify this behaviour, please?

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules