Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > "Where No PC Has Gone Before..." Would YOU?

"Where No PC Has Gone Before..." Would YOU?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2002, 10:08 AM

Hey guys, I support Apple's need to keep seducing the prosumer, but all the tease and all the rumor seem to say that PowerMac is still going to be lagging. This last tease further emphasizes small and portable. We've already got smashin' Powerbooks to take care of that. However...

I had hoped to get my Photoshopping honey a next-generation Tower by Valentine's day, but it just doesn't sound like it's gonna happen.

What do the best of you think about a time-table for either Apollo @1.5+ or G5 for PowerMac? My guy is dying to get the new Photoshop on OSX, and his B&W isn't going to cut that for everyday work.

Do I need to be thinking about Christmastime 2002? Will Moto be dead by then?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Love Calm Quiet ]
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Mskr
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
<STRONG>Hey guys, I support Apple's need to keep seducing the prosumer, but all the tease and all the rumor seem to say that PowerMac is still going to be lagging. This last tease further emphasizes small and portable. We've already got smashin' Powerbooks to take care of that. However...

I had hoped to get my Photoshopping honey a next-generation Tower by Valentine's day, but it just doesn't sound like it's gonna happen.

What do the best of you think about a time-table for either Apollo @1.5+ or G5 for PowerMac? My guy is dying to get the new Photoshop on OSX, and his B&W isn't going to cut that for everyday work.

Do I need to be thinking about Christmastime 2002? Will Moto be dead by then?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Love Calm Quiet ]</STRONG>
Why do you assume that it's going to be a portable? PC laptops are pretty damned portable and can go anywhere; I don't think today's hint is supposed to be taken so literally. (Well, we may all be reading way too much out of these hints, anyway)

Perhaps the hint really means that they've hit 2.2+ GHz. No P4 is above 2.1 GHz yet. Or, maybe it just means that the G5 is coming, and it is 64-bit; the Itaniums are for servers/workstations only at this point, but if the 64-bit G5 comes out for prosumer use, that would be both "beyond the rumor sites" and "where no _PC_ has gone before".

I don't know. It's really tempting to speculate, but I think that I'm just going to enjoy the excitement and stop speculating, since it's not getting me any closer to Monday...
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

<ahshutup>
Jan 4, 2002, 12:22 PM

There was no point to this

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Scotttheking ]

CityGuy2003
Jan 4, 2002, 06:13 PM

Ahhhhhh, ya'll just shut-up and take it like men! Ya'll whine and bitch like a bunch of ninnies.

So Apple won't have a G5. Big freaking deal. They won't have this or that, or this. Big deal. It's been decades since Apple has been in the lead on anything. So just get over it. Go skiing or something.

USB
FireWire (iLink, IEEE 1394)
Unix in the mainstream
DVD burning

sMACk
Jan 4, 2002, 07:42 PM

Don't forget consumer desktop video and MP3 players.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2002, 07:52 PM

I agree with CityGuy Apple has the MOST advanced standard hardware of any manufacturer. That is also why everyone thinks they are so much more expensive. Go feature for feature people!

mikemako
Senior User
Jan 4, 2002, 11:05 PM

Intel is releasing a 2.2GHz P4 next week. If apple releases even a 1.5 G4 I will immediately be in $3000 more debt. Although I know they will be releasing a 1+ Ghz G4 next week, I feel that the breakthrough product will not be the computer itself, but something that plugs into it- or perhaps a new type of port. no?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2002, 01:00 AM

3 days to go...

To boldly go where no PC has gone before.

heheh... well at least they�re funny . i mean, even if they bring up the iCassette recorder with FM-tuner.... they�re funny people!

then again, if they really do that, they�re even more funny!!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 03:58 AM

To boldy go where no PC has gone before... PC = windows machine?

This is just a joke, but it could happen:
Perhaps apple is doing the unthinkable and has ported OS X to PC's. ***MAC*** OS X on a PC? Oh God!!! Perhaps, it would not be that bad, then the pc guys would realize all the great things that are happening on the software side of apple, and perhaps buy apple computers, and then there would be no more yelling and screaming between pc and mac users....

Oh my God, apple is diabolical, do you realize what they are about to do? Steve must have been visited by an angel!!! Apple (A holy "ahhh" from somewhere behind you suddenly breaks the sound of iTunes playing in the background) is going to create world peace. In the history of our planet no one group, or person, or diety, or fish, or fruit, or apple, has ever done this. And so in the most unlikely of places a "computer company" will emerge and do what god's from various religions have not done, and bring the mac and pc community together.

Did you know that Osama is a PC user, and he is attacking the US cus he hates macs, well this will end all that and more!!! And pakistan is a pc country, and india is a apple country, that will settle that too... "One world, one OS, one computer company, Apple Think Different"

Alright, now this is what I really meant to say:

I am being torn up inside. One selfish part in me does not ever want the g4 or any other computer to be updated for the rest of eterninty, or until I have more money to buy another top of the line computer, because I just baught my owe so lovely QuickSilver, and it is nice to be able to say I have one of the fastest personal computers that money can buy. On the other hand I know that apple has to go forward, and that means totally anihalating the PC user's spirit by introducing a processor designed from the ground up to be a lean mean, intel/athlon crushing machine, kinda reminisent of the g4 back when it was introduced.

So I like the idea of a g5 with more gigaflops and more gigahertz than any processor on the consumer market. Kill two birds with one apple eh? Get rid of that old megahertz myth, and wow pc'ers with our raw processing power.

To me this seems the most likely, because the reason I switched to apple from pc's in the first place was because of their processing power. and so it seems to me that apple has to continue to keep ahead in this area...

A new digital lifestyle device would be nice, but I would really like to see that G5. And if one takes that message "To boldly go where no PC has gone before" as PC means personal computer and not windows box, then I expect some revolutionary system!! Something to replace the tower?

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 08:22 AM

Whoever said G5's are going to be 64 bit is thinking BACKWARDS!!!

The G4 is 128bit!!! more power to ya bro!
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 10:19 AM

Ok, here is the line up for monday. Looks like faster cpu's , gigawire, and OS X 10.2

G4 Mac
1200 MHz PPC G4 256 MB PC DDR ram 60 GB HD nVidia MX2 32mb 24x CDRW
GBEthernet 56K
Modem Wireless Ready (Airport) Keyboard Mouse Mac OS X.2 Options:
Airport/Gigawire
$1699

G4Mac
1400 MHz PPC G4 512 MB PC DDR ram 80 GB HD nVidia MX2 32mb DVDR-SUPERDRIVE
GBEthernet/GW 56K Modem Wireless (Airport) Keyboard Mouse Mac OS X.2
$2499

G4Mac
1400 (DUAL) GHz PPC G4 1024 MB PC DDR ram 120 GB HD nVidia MX2 64mb/TWIN
DVDR-SUPERDRIVEII GBEthernet/GW 56K Modem Wireless (Airport) Keyboard Mouse
Mac OS X.2
Price $3499

iMac
750 MHz PPC G3 256 MB PC 100 SDRAM 20 GB HD 15" CRT ATI Rage 128 (16MB) 24x
CDROM
Ethernet 56K Modem Wireless Ready (Airport) Keyboard Mouse Mac OS X Options:
Graphite,
Indigo and Classic
$799

iMac
1 GHz PPC G3 256 MB PC 133 SDRAM 40 GB HD 14.1" LCD Display ATI RADEON 7000
(16 MB) 8x
DVDROM Ethernet 56K Modem Wireless Ready (Airport) Keyboard Mouse Mac OS X
Price $1299

iMac
1 GHz PPC G3 256 MB PC 133 SDRAM 40 GB HD 14.1" LCD Display ATI RADEON 7000
(16 MB) 8x
CDRW Ethernet 56K Modem Wireless Ready (Airport) Keyboard Mouse Mac OS X
Price $1299

iMac
1 GHz PPC G3 512 MB PC 133 SDRAM 60 GB HD 14.1" LCD Display ATI RADEON 7000
(16 MB) 8x
CDRW/DVDROM Ethernet 56K Modem Wireless Ready (Airport) Keyboard Mouse Mac
OS X
$1499

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Skaar ]
iMac Core Dou 17" 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM + 20" Dell Widescreen Display
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 10:45 AM

$800 for a 750Mhz iMac? That sucks!
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

hayesk
Jan 5, 2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<STRONG>$800 for a 750Mhz iMac? That sucks!</STRONG>
Don't read too much into it. (Besides $800 for iMac is pretty good). Those specs has been proven fake on other forums already. Skaar thought he'd be clever and remove the first obvious clue.
(sorry, skaar). He removed the Apple part numbers that were in the list posted elsewhere.
- One of the part numbers for the G4 was actually the part number for MacOS X.1.
- Also the three colours for the entry level iMac were all under the same part number. Apple has different numbers for different colours.
- MacOS X.2 is not ready yet, not even close
- Gigawire would be right on the motherboard making it impossible to be an "option" in the first G4.
- There's no such thing as a Radeon 7000 - there's a 7200, but no 7000.
- SuperDrive II? What would that be. If it was just a faster mechanism as others would suggest, Apple wouldn't rename it. They'd just put 'em in and change the specs.

While not a bad lineup - it isn't real. Still have to wait until Monday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules