Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Question about unlocked iPhones

Question about unlocked iPhones
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2008, 03:01 PM

Say I want to buy an unlocked iPhone to use on TMobile. If it's unlocked, you can still buy apps from the App Store? And what about the updates from Apple? These still apply without locking the phone back to ATT Wireless? Not sure how that all works, if it stays unlocked permanently no matter what you do. I really want one but not with ATT Wireless.

Also, can you have an iPod touch and an iPhone connected to the same Mac?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 03:19 PM

Unlocking causes problems with updates. I don't know about the App Store. You can have an unlimited number of iPhones and iPods connected to one computer.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 04:40 PM

Yep - my iPhone is unlocked. The latest firmwire Apple just offered to everyone ... so no need to do anything, just plug in and hit "update" like you would with an officially locked one. You still buy apps from the app store as all you are doing is buying them through your iTunes account.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 05:11 AM

So you have no problems at all with an unlocked iPhone and updates and everything? Are you using tMobile? I so bad want an iPhone, but I'm worried that a future update would lock it back to ATT again, you know?

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I'm worried that a future update would lock it back to ATT again, you know?
Even in the very unlikely event that this would happen, <i>somebody</i> would find a work-around to unlock the phone again.

In regards to your first post, why were you concerned about whether multiple devices (iPod/iPhone) could be connected to iTunes? Not to sound demeaning, but I thought this was universally understood. Were you instead trying to figure out if iTunes would copy purchased items to multiple devices? If so, then the answer is yes.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 03:06 PM

Yeah, that's what I was trying to understand. I didn't know you could do that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules