Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why has my MBP 15" started running hot?

Why has my MBP 15" started running hot?
EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2009, 11:49 PM

Late 2006 model. 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB Seagate 5400rpm installed a year or so ago.

iStat Nano reports both fans running (speed up and slow down based on system load), idle CPU temp is around 60C (140F) , which I think is a bit high.

Any idea what may have caused this to start happening? Should I open 'er back up, clean off the CPU heatsink, and re-apply some thermal compound?

TIA

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2009, 02:02 AM

open Activity Monitor and make sure the drop-down choice at the top says "all processes", then sort by CPU and see what's hogging the top spots...that'll tell you if some software is pegging the processors.

EmmEff  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the followup. I should've mentioned that this is the first thing I looked at. At the top of the sorted list is Activity Monitor itself. There is nothing else running in the background consuming any significant CPU.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2009, 10:03 AM

60C at the CPU is nothing to be worried about. Mobile CPUs can become hot. They're designed to withstand that. And when they do overheat, they throttle down and eventually even shut off.

Under peak load my MBP's Penryn CPU regularly reaches 95C.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2009, 10:51 AM

I changed my stats to centigrade, 2.4 MHz 2008 MBP, browsing constantly for a couple of hours with sheepshaver and Shanghai II running in background (Activity monitor say 15.6 for them), and I'm getting 48C CPUA and 29C enclosure bottomside. Your 12C higher CPUA temp is puzzling, especially if you take into account that Canada winter room temps have got to be lower than summer temps?

Still, nothing to be worried about...

EmmEff  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2009, 10:58 AM

I think 60C is high considering there's no load (Mail.app, Safari and iTunes all sitting idle). I've read of others with as low as 40C as their idle temp on the SAME configuration (2.16GHz C2D). My ambient room temperature is ~20C.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 31, 2009, 11:43 AM

Your numbers are not significantly different from my own late '06 MBP's. Idle apps still require a bit of management, but the CPU is also running your GUI, which is not a minor issue. I would not worry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2009, 12:02 PM

My temps are about the same as yours. It's not a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules