Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > First time on Amtrak

First time on Amtrak
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 AM

I'm moving to Florida at the end of the month and I'm taking our spare car down there from Virginia. The flights were too expensive so I decided to try Amtrak.

Anyone ever taken Amtrak before? The last time I've ever been on a train was the tour train that goes around Stone Mountain in Atlanta. And that's been about 25 years ago.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 11:33 AM

Yes, I have, primarily the DC-NYC corridor. It's very convenient for business.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2011, 11:45 AM

I rode from Iowa to Oregon in 1990.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 11:58 AM

AMTRAK is ok - comfy seats, bar, wireless. I've taken their trains from NYC to Rhinecliff, as well as the Acela to DC. Not a huge fan of the Acela, it's certainly not the Shinkansen, but it beats getting groped by TSA. But overall AMTRAK isn't too bad. I know they have trains for transporting cars, but that gets a little pricey.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 12:02 PM

I used to travel Amtrak from DC->NYC->DC every week for work. Loved it. I was working one block from Penn Station (B&H Photo). Couldn't have been more convenient. I used to park myself in a booth in the diner car.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I rode from Iowa to Oregon in 1990.
Almost died of dysentery.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 12:07 PM

or saddle sores.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
AMTRAK is ok - comfy seats, bar, wireless. I've taken their trains from NYC to Rhinecliff, as well as the Acela to DC. Not a huge fan of the Acela, it's certainly not the Shinkansen, but it beats getting groped by TSA. But overall AMTRAK isn't too bad. I know they have trains for transporting cars, but that gets a little pricey.
I just tweeted someone about the very same thing dealing with TSA. I'm not a fan of TSA. They are nothing more than temp workers or glorified baggage handlers.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 12:19 PM

Yeah, don't get me going on the TSA, the whole thing is so wrong in so many ways it makes me puke.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I'm not a fan of TSA. They are nothing more than temp workers or glorified baggage handlers.
TSA begs to differ! Try finding that kind of stitching quality on your baggage handlers.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 12:38 PM

I stand corrected. They look like postal workers. Just without the intelligence.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 12:39 PM

Yeah, don't get me going on the TSA, the whole thing is so wrong in so many ways it makes me puke.
What irritates me is that not ONE of them is qualified in counter terrorism or counter narcotics or security in general. I've actually done several counter narcotics deployments in the Navy and these guys are fresh off the streets with a whole 2 weeks of training under their belts.

John Wayne said he saw a tin badge with a drunk pinned to it. I see plastic toy badges with idiots pinned to them when I look at TSA agents.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2011, 03:05 PM

Almost all of the TSA here at COS are ex-military and are great. Depends on your location.

I've also had great experiences in SEA recently with the TSA, very nice and respectful. Always greet me with a "Hello" and leave with a "Thanks Mr. Scott, enjoy your trip."

andi*pandi
Jan 14, 2011, 03:37 PM

Why aren't you driving the car?

Amtrak is ok. Just make sure you select "direct" routes not "local" otherwise you stop every 10 minutes.

Re TSA: I flew this week to Milwaukee and was amused by the signage. After going through the metal detectors (no backscatter) there were lots of benches etc for putting your shoes back on. It was labelled: "Recombobulation Area".

Airport draws smiles with 'recombobulation area' - JSOnline

bstone
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 04:01 PM

I took Amtrak from Miami to Boston a year ago after a medical procedure which left me unable to fly. I got a room, which was super expensive, but totally worth it. I would suggest you get a Roomette. Not quite as large but it has a bed which is super nice for sleeping. I slept 9 hours at night. Bring lots of movies cause there is no wireless on the train.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Why aren't you driving the car?

Amtrak is ok. Just make sure you select "direct" routes not "local" otherwise you stop every 10 minutes.

Re TSA: I flew this week to Milwaukee and was amused by the signage. After going through the metal detectors (no backscatter) there were lots of benches etc for putting your shoes back on. It was labelled: "Recombobulation Area".

Airport draws smiles with 'recombobulation area' - JSOnline
I'm driving our spare car down there. The wife is already down there and I still have two up here in Virginia.

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I took Amtrak from Miami to Boston a year ago after a medical procedure which left me unable to fly. I got a room, which was super expensive, but totally worth it. I would suggest you get a Roomette. Not quite as large but it has a bed which is super nice for sleeping. I slept 9 hours at night. Bring lots of movies cause there is no wireless on the train.
I thought I saw a free wifi ad on amtrak's website... I would have gotten a small sleeper but for an extra $300? I could have flown first class, but I'm still looking forward to the ride anyway.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
AMTRAK is ok - comfy seats, bar, wireless.
Wi-Fi? Why, Yes.
To ensure our passengers remain connected while traveling, Amtrak offers Wi-Fi service in select stations and trains throughout the country. Stay productive, or simply sit back and have some fun while en route to your destination. There are two types of Wi-Fi service you may encounter throughout your travels:

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2011, 07:50 PM

It's miserable, filled with degenerates, and makes the airline on time ratings look good.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2011, 10:15 PM

The bad thing about trains is that the windows get all foggy and then you've realised that someone has taken the time to write NICK IS A GAYLORD on the window.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2011, 12:05 AM

The wife is already down there and I still have two up here in Virginia.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2011, 01:33 AM

I often take Amtrak from STL to Chicago and back. It's about a 5 hour trip, but it's nice not having to drive, being able to walk around during the trip, or just sleep all the way.

One thing I always do is to upgrade to the business class. A few bucks more, but a lot more room, standard SC plugins for your laptop (although my iPad lasts the whole trip without having to recharge), and a lot more quieter. I highly recommend it.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2011, 02:38 AM

I'm moving to Florida at the end of the month and I'm taking our spare car down there from Virginia. The flights were too expensive so I decided to try Amtrak.

Anyone ever taken Amtrak before? The last time I've ever been on a train was the tour train that goes around Stone Mountain in Atlanta. And that's been about 25 years ago.
Yes, but mostly along the NE corridor (DC - NYC & back).

I've taken both the Acela and the sleeper trains. Both are nice in their own ways. I didn't in any way find them cheaper than flying though.

Is this a permanent move for you?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2011, 07:44 AM

Yeah, finally leaving the Communistwealth of Virginia. A few more weeks left.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 16, 2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by the final dakar View Post
almost died of dysentery.
a++
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The bad thing about trains is that the windows get all foggy and then you've realised that someone has taken the time to write NICK IS A GAYLORD on the window.
Well, maybe he is.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2011, 08:53 AM

I just got back last night. Had a great time. I upgraded to a sleeper cabin, what I call my own private stateroom. Meals were included and the food was surprisingly excellent. I rode the train from Tampa to Richmond. It's amazing the scenery you see. Beautiful houses, not so beautiful houses... lol

What sucks about rail travel, I found out, was they share the tracks with freight trains. If one of them breaks down... wow, what a nightmare. I waited in Richmond for 5 hours for my connecting train down to Newport News. My ass was numb from sitting on those benches.

But overall, I would probably recommend this method of travel over flying any day of the week, especially if you are not in a hurry.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2011, 09:11 AM

exactly; if you aren't in a hurry. love taking the train: detroit -> chicago (pleasure trips).

driving/flying are about the same time wise...but then you have their respective headaches.

but on the train, i can keep a nice buzz on and not have a care in the world. just sit back and relax (business class; pretty darn cheap round trip). you can be social and play cards with others doing the same in the dining/snack cars. or chill in pretty much your own car for most of the trip (depending on the time of day/stop you get on).

but as you pointed out; you are at the mercy of freight. they get first dibs on the line; so you may be pulled off on a side track to wait for awhile for them to pass/go by.

still; it's the best way, for my time, $ and sanity, to got to chicago for some fun.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2011, 09:30 AM

I was actually shocked at the prices. Granted, getting the sleeping car, my own private stateroom, was $397, but hell, it was worth every dollar.

And I upgraded to business class from Richmond to Newport News. That total cost for the ticket on that line was a whole $32. I couldn't believe it. That's less than the cost of gas it would have taken me to drive that distance.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2011, 09:34 AM

Here's a pic, too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2011, 09:39 AM

And I upgraded to business class from Richmond to Newport News. That total cost for the ticket on that line was a whole $32. I couldn't believe it. That's less than the cost of gas it would have taken me to drive that distance.
What ?

Assuming that the $32 is roundtrip RIC - NPN, the total mileage is 148m.
At current prices (~ $ 3/gal), your car would have to have a worse mileage than 14 MPG.

Let alone: 6 hours from RIC to NPN(5 hrs waiting + 1 hr ride). Ha! I'd walk faster

I used to live in NPN, and I would always drive to RIC, even for a connecting flight or something.

-t

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2011, 11:39 AM

Yeah, it's a great way to travel. (Esp. if you took the "stateroom" as you did. If it weren't slower than driving (and more expensive than flying ... usually) I'd do the train all the time.

DC --> ATL was 14 hours if no delay. (Drive time was 10). When I was only coming home for the weekends, that seemed a bit much. But for pleasure trips, or when I'm in no rush, heck yeah, it's actually a pleasure to travel.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2011, 11:50 AM

The last time I took a train anywhere was between Windsor and Toronto, ON. It was a CN commuter run, and my high school science club made the trip to visit the Ontario Science Museum. It was great-smooth, comfortable, quick, and apparently quite affordable. But that was over 30 years ago, and since then, Canada has managed to maintain their rail transport infrastructure quite well while here in the States we have almost entirely ignored ours. Amtrak would be a much better choice if we had up to date railbeds, if we had kept the number of routes and rails we had 60 years ago, and if we actually maintained our rail infrastructure as if it were important. As it is, we don't even maintain our highway bridges appropriately...

Rant over.

Oh, before my run to Toronto, I rode a pre-Amtrak passenger train from Detroit to Kalamazoo to spend a couple weeks with relatives. It was a grand adventure for a young teen. I am not certain, but I think I rode the Grand Trunk RR for that trip.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What ?

Assuming that the $32 is roundtrip RIC - NPN, the total mileage is 148m.
At current prices (~ $ 3/gal), your car would have to have a worse mileage than 14 MPG.
-t
He bought himself a huge-ass Dodge Ram to commute with, remember?

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2011, 05:41 PM

Actually I sold that. Much to my dismay. Nicest damned vehicle I ever had. I got my Durango paid off and decided I needed the extra money so I am Ram-less.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2011, 03:51 AM

Consider taking your time and take a few days to make the trip. Choose a few places to stop, spend the day, get back on the train at night and sleep on the train. I used to do this many years ago. There was no extra cost to get off and get back on, but I don't know if they still have this policy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2011, 10:17 AM

Perfect timing.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2011, 10:21 AM

gbhgbh must have been on a train this week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules