Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > It is safe to install ATI drivers under Boot Camp?

It is safe to install ATI drivers under Boot Camp?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2011, 10:16 AM

In a nutshell:

I had to replace my Mac Pro's Nvidia 8800 GT with a ATI HD 2600 XT.
Under Boot Camp, Windows 7 did install some generic drivers for it.
I did remove the Nvidia software that was firstly installed by the Boot Camp Set Up.
I didn't run the Boot Camp Set Up this time. I just downloaded the drivers for W7 from AMD's website.

While the Mac Pro can run the ACD 30" at its native resolution, I have to wonder if the system, Autodesk Showcase and other Windows only software would benefict from installing the ATI 64bit drivers and related software.

I understand this is not like messing with firmware, just driver software, but well, it is Windows and this is the Mac version of the ATI card which came with a 2008 Mac Pro.

What should I do?. Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2011, 12:47 PM

If you're booted into Windows and you use the Win7 driver from AMD for that specific card, you should be safe. Win7 transparently and automatically establishes a "roll back" bookmark when you add or change drivers, so if it's problematic you can undo the driver installation. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks Glenn. All went fine so far.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2011, 02:42 AM

Under W7, ATI utility says temperature is about 87ºC (188ºF) on idle. The graphic card fan is not clogged with dust. I think this is pretty bad and will eventually kill it within a short amount of time.

Am I mistaken.?

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2011, 06:17 AM

87 sounds pretty high, especially for a card that's relatively unstressed. I would expect temperatures closer to 40, especially in a Mac Pro with plenty of air flow. Under OS X what kinds of temps do you get?

You could run the machine under OS X and get a subjective idea of the temperature of the card while idle and under load by just putting your hand near or on the card, then boot into Windows and do something similar. It's possible that the ATI utility isn't reflecting temperature accurately, and this subjective test would give you a chance to see whether you think it's accurate or not...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2011, 04:47 PM

And the ATI lasted two freaking days.

All of sudden, the Cinema Display blacked out.
Tried it with another Cinema Display, still no video signal.
Tried it with another display, a NEC, same outcome.

I did use Screen Sharing via a MDD G4, got Mac Pro's video signal in the Cinema Display attached to the G4, kind of a headless server… This is what Mac Pro's System Profiler reads:

For Graphics/Displays, no model is shown, no kernel extension has been loaded.

For PCICards, listed as VGA compatible controller.

This. Is. Disgusting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules