Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I love iWalk

I love iWalk
Proxi
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2002, 03:18 PM

When I had a first look at the iWalk videos (www.spymac.com) I fell in love with this PDA. I especially like the boot up video.

I hope this cute little bastard is not a fake.

(Edit

Who would buy one ?

(/Edit)

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Proxi ]

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 03:41 PM

You are going to be disappointed on Monday then.

Iguana: The other green meat.

Proxi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2002, 04:09 PM

Well, taking a closer look at the photos and videos I must admit you�re probably right.
Anyway, I like the idea of a new Apple branded PDA

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 04:11 PM

http://www.appleturns.com

They just wrote an article about the pictures/videos

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: iNeusch ]

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by ChaChi Boy:
<STRONG>You are going to be disappointed on Monday then.</STRONG>
Mr. Jobs? Is that you?!?! Oh sorry, you sure as hell come off sounding like Steve Jobs...

Dave

Woggle
Jan 3, 2002, 09:09 PM

What I'd like to see them release is a portable desktop, like the old Zoompad, or whatever Heath/Zenith called it back then. What this was, was a way to carry your desktop around your work place, a transmitter card was dropped into a free slot, and it sent your desktop to a pen slate that was essentially a dumb terminal. Now, imagine making a version of this for the Mac, and making it work on AirPort, now you can use your Mac in any room of your house, or any where in your office. If you're aiming it at the consumer market, throw in a built in universal remote and watch it sell.
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by DaveGee:
<STRONG>

Mr. Jobs? Is that you?!?! Oh sorry, you sure as hell come off sounding like Steve Jobs...

Dave</STRONG>
Put a cork in it spymac

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2002, 09:40 PM

i don't like the PDA.
isn't stylish.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by moreno:
<STRONG>i don't like the PDA.
isn't stylish.</STRONG>
I like the PDA the more I think about it. I am ready to sell my Palm m505 now. HEY it's not my fault Palm is taking so long to release their Palm Desktop for X software.

Hey moreno, could you recompress your movie with a better audio compressor, I like it but it sounds horrible.

arn
Jan 3, 2002, 10:48 PM

I find the nob strange...

but I would buy one right now without knowing anything else if I could. As a Newton refugee... the OS depicted in the shots are clearly updated Newton OS shots...

1) I would want to support the new PDA move from Apple
2) I truely believe Newton was one of the most innovative and exciting handheld OS's... there were limitations (heap, poor connectivity) - but nothing that I don't think they could seriously have improved upon with cheaper ram prices and their new "highly integrated" ipod approach....

I would pay up to $1500 for one. I paid $1000 for the Newton 2000 when it first came out and had no regrets.

arn

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2002, 10:53 PM

Firstly, I believe it to be a fake.

But I think all this hubbub makes one thing clear... If apple releases a PDA that is up to snuff, Palm's will be going for $0.10/baker's dozen on eBay.

I, personally, have been waiting a long time for the "iWalk" (or whatever they call it). But the styling had better be much better than the iWalk.

ed: I would not pay $1500 for one, though. That would be its death-knell.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: akebono ]

Joe Cool
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2002, 11:49 PM

To add to the Hoax I dont think Apple would put a mic jack on a PDA. They are way to invested in USB. Why wouldn't they just put USB on it?

Cliff Corner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2002, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Joe Cool:
<STRONG>To add to the Hoax I dont think Apple would put a mic jack on a PDA. They are way to invested in USB. Why wouldn't they just put USB on it?</STRONG>
I'd like an iPod like device for bootlegging purposes and stuff. Sure beats tape, and outstyles a portable MiniDisc recorder.
-cak

Capt Shane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2002, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Cliff Corner:
<STRONG>

I'd like an iPod like device for bootlegging purposes and stuff. Sure beats tape, and outstyles a portable MiniDisc recorder. </STRONG>
word man... now iwalk??? why would we want another ipaq??? it has to be something incredible or else it will die...
-Shane

Go Army!

Signal Corps the Voice of Command!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Cliff Corner:
<STRONG>I'd like an iPod like device for bootlegging purposes and stuff. Sure beats tape, and outstyles a portable MiniDisc recorder. </STRONG>
Well, the iPod's mp3 playback chip is capable of *en*coding as well, so...they got the hardware...

If this thing really runs a stripped-down OS X/Newton OS, imagine what it could do with the right audio software...FireWire and/or minijacks for I/O...stylus...5 or 10-gig drive...mmmmmm...I would want one *immediately*.

Unfortunately, even if it's real, nobody knows yet what's under the hood. But "iTunes" shows up on one of the stills, so there could be some horsepower in there...

-chris.

bongfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2002, 08:43 AM

Why the iWalk footage on SpyMac.com is not a hoax...

I looked quite some time at both, the pics and the movies and now I�ll try to explain, why this is for real:

1.) On pic "iWalk_Still02.jpg" one can see the reflections casted by the environment and hey, look at the reflection of the thumb. You cant fake this - not even by using AW software like Maya or StudioFX.

2.) The other pix show a Powerbook power adaptor. The reflections of the light are drawn correct.
E.g. in pic "iWalk_Still08.jpg" You can see the TiBook, iWalk and the cover. The shadows and hilites are oriented as they should (not just like this 3d-graphics unnatural style).

3.) On pix that show screen-close-up�s you may find fine irregulaties and that comes because of certain production processes (moulding, stamping, ...). This can�t be faked that easy. Yust look at shadows and hilites at the grey frame around the lcd.

4.) A while ago (iPod intro), we could read articles, that the iTunes- & QuickTime-Dev-Teams worked strongly together to bring the new device (in this case the iPod) to life.
But this was a fake. Apple bought OS tech from Pixo Inc. to drive the iPod.
Just take a closer look at the screenshots. This is the real product of both teams. Looks like iTunes- and looks just like QuickTime-GUI. This is what they really did the last months...

Some notes:
Maybe this footage shows us some sort of prototype device - but - why should one brand a prototype (FCC-Regs, logo, claim ect.)?

What about the logo, signing the mysterious port in the middle? It looks like this --O-- (FireWire loks like this Y).
This is a serial port, I guessED.
NO, look! This could be an IrDA port (anyone remember the last MacOS X update? "New port detected" thing - TiBook only) .

Then there where people, guessing the shots where made in Germany. Wrong! See the power plug on "iWalk_Still01.jpg". Never seen any plug of that type here (Austria/Germany), because we have use SCHUKO-plugs (with earth) in our offices. So this material was not taken in Germany.

Got it? Thats it!

bongfish
It�s BURTON that drives my world!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by bongfish:
<STRONG>What about the logo, signing the mysterious port in the middle? It looks like this --O-- (FireWire loks like this Y).
This is a serial port, I guessED.
NO, look! This could be an IrDA port (anyone remember the last MacOS X update? "New port detected" thing - TiBook only) . </STRONG>
No. IrDA is at the bottom, to the left of the Power switch (a small black area).

Originally posted by bongfish:
<STRONG>Then there where people, guessing the shots where made in Germany. Wrong! See the power plug on "iWalk_Still01.jpg". Never seen any plug of that type here (Austria/Germany), because we have use SCHUKO-plugs (with earth) in our offices. So this material was not taken in Germany.</STRONG>
It is true that Schuko (Schutzkontakt)-sockets are required by law in Germany - they're recessed to as to make accidental shock while pulling the plug impossible. However, that socket looks like it's a combination (look at the shape of the holes - they look like they'd accept US/Japanese plugs as well). My guess is a hotel room, which also explains the socket in that wood-grain table. I don't know if these types of sockets are common in German hotels, but I'd imagine so.

-chris.

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2002, 10:09 AM

On pic "iWalk_Still02.jpg" one can see the reflections casted by the environment and hey, look at the reflection of the thumb. You cant fake this - not even by using AW software like Maya or StudioFX.
You don't need 3d software to fake a reflection of a thumb. All you need to do is use video editing software to reflect a clip of the thumb, drop the opacity, and composite that new clip under another composited clip of the person's hand writing on the tablet. This hoax was carefully planned by SpyMac and created by a professional graphics company who also runs SpyMacs. Check it out on http://www.appleturns.com

BTW, why would Apple name their PDA something (for lack of a better word) stupid like iWalk?
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by crystalthunder:
<STRONG>BTW, why would Apple name their PDA something (for lack of a better word) stupid like iWalk?</STRONG>
maybe because it's more than a PDA?

a Mac for your pocket?

you probably thought "iPod" was really stupid, too?

Marook
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 01:25 PM

Hi All.

1, Apple does ship pre-release models over seas before release! They do so to selected seedsites, if they think there is a need for it. With the iMac, I got one two months before release, and that was a prototype! The CD-bay was without the front panel, and the enclosure was not fitting perfect. I just had to test ethernet stuff and make generel feedback on impression.

Wether this is real or not, I don't know. I just know that there are many-many thousand [active]Newton users waiting for Apple to release a Newton replacement.

2, the Nedwton was[is] not bad at connections. Actually it's still one of the best connecting PDA's in the world, and it have not been in production fot 5 years! No one else does ethernet connections! Sure, the SYNC software have left much to be asked, but that is another part of the connection stuff.

Hope it helps...
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
<STRONG>

Put a cork in it spymac</STRONG>
Child... I'm not SpyMac but yes I do wanna believe the iWalk is real... The safe money sez it ain't but so what the reasons they give for the stuff being a hoax are just about as good as those who said the cube was a fake...

Oh to have .kill files for ubb boards... Then again I'd bet you're to young to even know what a .kill file is.

Dave

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2002, 02:14 PM

iWalk The Missing Link...

Here is the iWalk menu from one of the still shots now I'm gonna compare it to stuff available with OS X...

Organizer
---------
Notebook = Notepad
Calculator = Calculator
???? = ???? (Something I can't read anyone wanna take a crack at that one?)
Cards = Address Book (I assume)

Web
---
Web Browser = (X has MSIE but still the both provide similar function)
E-Mail = Mail

Multimedia
----------
QuickTime = QuickTime
ITunes = iTunes
Recorder = ???? (voice recorder I assume)
Chess = Chess

System
-----------
FileManager = Finder
Connection???? Maybe?? (anyone else wanna guess?)
Preferences = Preferences
???? (anyone?)

Now boys and girls (missing menu options not withstanding) What is MISSING from the list? Come on think about it... Oh here goes a hint, it is also missing from OS X as well...

Oh come on say it... Calendar!!!!

I don't see it on the dock at the bottom of the screen either...

Yep it seems (for whatever reason) this hoax of an iWalk doesn't have a calendar. Now if YOU were going to plan on doing a hoax of a PDA would you leave off a calendar? (I wouldn't) but yet it isn't here... Oh and guess what OS X doesn't have a calendar either...

You wanna believe the folks at SpyMac were smart enough to think of that too and that is why they too left it off well then that's fine but I'm telling you leaving out a calendar from a handheld is something only Apple would do...

Is it smart to not have a calendar in a handheld well that's open for debate but it sure is Apple like... Go ALMOST far enough but then stop. This sorta bothers me because (if this is real) many people would I would tell/recommend to buy this would ask where's the calendar and then you gotta try and explain why Apple didn't include it... Now tell me does this sound like Apple or what?!?!

Dave

sMACk
Jan 4, 2002, 05:39 PM

Well, now Spymac is claiming that for 'legal reasons' they had to take down the movies & images. It's funny because just yesterday I was thinking that to make this hoax more real they should claim Apple legal made them take it down but that legally they couldn't say 'Apple' legal. Sure enough, today I went to their page and it says 'By legal request, we have removed all iWalk footage from our server. ' avoiding using Apple's name. Other pages that have taken down info at the request of Apple always name Apple as the requestor. Its a hoax IMHO...unfortunately.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2002, 06:13 PM

That's too bad I missed it. I just found out the videos were aken down and I really wanted to see the iWalk. Was busy traveling.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

a holck
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 12:59 AM

Proxi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2002, 08:18 AM

Good Job!
Or should I say "Gut, sehr gut, super, ja"

The iJerk Video is even better then the iWalk !!
I especially like the german Darth Vader - like voice.

How long did it take to make it ?

a holck
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 08:23 AM

About 2 hours.

After Fx 5 and Cleaner 5 are pretty unstable in classic....

At first I tried to find my old Palm IIIe to make a more believable mockup.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: a holck ]

Group51
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by DaveGee:
<STRONG>iWalk The Missing Link...

Here is the iWalk menu from one of the still shots now I'm gonna compare it to stuff available with OS X...

Organizer
---------
Notebook = Notepad
Calculator = Calculator
???? = ???? (Something I can't read anyone wanna take a crack at that one?)
Cards = Address Book (I assume)
&lt;snip&gt;
Now boys and girls (missing menu options not withstanding) What is MISSING from the list? Come on think about it... Oh here goes a hint, it is also missing from OS X as well...

Oh come on say it... Calendar!!!!
Dave</STRONG>
The Newton didn't have a 'calendar', it had Dates. Names, Dates, Extras (sort of desktop), Undo, Find and Assist - it probably is your missing item in Organizer.

If it is an PDA-type device they are doing, it had better be no bigger than a thin paper back. The main reason I gave up on the Newton 2000 was that it fit neither in my trouser pocket or comfortably in my hand. The other reason was that it was too hard to find peripherals to connect it to my Mac. I am currently using a Palm III and claim refugee status.

If Apple wanted to sell this outside the US (e.g. to me in the UK), it would need serious (GPRS) phone capabilities, i.e. have one built in, with a simple Bluetooth handset/headset. And have USB so I could connect stuff like my digital camera, web cam or whatever. Firewire to connect to my Mac/DV cam. 5 gig HD to store it all. Optional solar panel to charge the battery.

This would bring us back to the original Newton concept, Newton was not meant to be just a PDA, it was meant to be a small *computer* that you could take with you instead of a heavy laptop. If it has the connectivity (in and out), then I think its time may have come.

We can all dream, I guess!

Group51
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by a holck:
<STRONG>Check this out!</STRONG>
Wow! OmniWeb is the default browser in the iWalk!

Very funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules