Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Maybe a dumb question but, when I launch OS9 why doesn't it show in dock?

Maybe a dumb question but, when I launch OS9 why doesn't it show in dock?
sMACk
Dec 11, 2001, 04:38 AM

When OS9 is running, it's difficult for me to get to the OS9 finder menus because I can't switch to OS 9 from OS X. I have to launch an OS 9 application to get to OS9 finder. Am I doing something wrong?

Scrod
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by sMACk:
<STRONG>When OS9 is running, it's difficult for me to get to the OS9 finder menus because I can't switch to OS 9 from OS X. I have to launch an OS 9 application to get to OS9 finder. Am I doing something wrong?</STRONG>
You're not doing anything wrong. It's merely your understanding of Classic that's at fault. When you're using classic environment, the OS 9 Finder is not supposed to be running. Classic is a compatibility environment that allows you to run OS 9 applications in OS X. If you want to use OS 9 then you'll need to specify the OS 9 System Folder in the Startup Disk preference panel and reboot your computer.
I abused my signature until she cried.

sMACk  (op)
Dec 11, 2001, 04:57 AM

Ok, so what you are saying is that the only time I can access, for example the Apple Menu, is when an OS 9 application is open? I can access the Apple menu when an OS 9 app is open but isn't there a way to switch between OSX and OS9 emulation (access to apple menu) without opening an application? thanks.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: sMACk ]

Scrod
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 05:00 AM

Ok, so what you are saying is that the only time I can access, for example the Apple Menu, is when an OS 9 application is open?
Yes, you could do that or you could simply reboot your computer into OS 9, as I said earlier. Classic is for running OS 9 apps--not for using OS 9 itself.
There is no way to switch between OSX and OS9 emulation (access to apple menu) without opening an application?
It's not emulation; it's a hardware abstraction layer. And see my above statement.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Scrod ]
I abused my signature until she cried.

namannik
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 02:53 PM

There is a hack that makes the classic Finder run like any other classic app. I have not tried it, but you could give it a whirl and let us know how it works.

johnnylundy
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2001, 03:58 PM

<STRONG>Ok, so what you are saying is that the only time I can access, for example the Apple Menu, is when an OS 9 application is open? I can access the Apple menu when an OS 9 app is open but isn't there a way to switch between OSX and OS9 emulation (access to apple menu) without opening an application? thanks.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: sMACk ]</STRONG>
It's easy - just put an alias of "Apple Menu Items" in the Dock.
&gt;&gt;Johnny

reactor
Dec 11, 2001, 08:59 PM

<STRONG>When OS9 is running, it's difficult for me to get to the OS9 finder menus because I can't switch to OS 9 from OS X. I have to launch an OS 9 application to get to OS9 finder. Am I doing something wrong?</STRONG>
Why not place an alias of the AppleMenu folder in the Dock, you have acces to all the items in there.

Not an answer to your question, but more of a solution
if there were no Mac
it would be necessary to invent one

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:07 PM

Yes, the old two Finders at once trick still works.

Just make a copy of your Finder from your System Folder and put it somewhere else. Now use ResEdit or Resorcerer or SuperGetInfo or xFiles or any similar app to change the Type to 'APPL' and the Creator to something random like 'Brad'... double-click and voila! You've got the Classic Finder running next to the OSX Finder. You can't, however, see the Clasic Finder's desktop, so you'll have to know your Desktop Folder well enough from memory to "navigate" it via keyboard.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

sMACk  (op)
Dec 12, 2001, 01:53 AM

Thanks everyone.

FERRO
Senior User
Dec 18, 2001, 04:35 PM

http://www.classicmenu.com/

E PLURIBUS UNIX
-----------------------------

� FERRO 2001-2002

Forum Links