Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Someone I knew died a few days ago

Someone I knew died a few days ago
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2009, 08:25 AM

Well, about 6 or 7 years ago, we bought the house we live in currently. As soon as I walked in, I told the homeowner that this house is mine. I loved it. The guy who owned it was remodeling and put a new roof on it and new paint and carpet and kitchen and the whole works. He owned a roofing company in the area and everyone knew him and loved him because he was such a nice guy and would do anything for anyone.

I met him over the next few weeks until closing, probably 6 or 7 times. He was a great guy. So the years went by and then I found out he was in an accident while on vacation in Cancun. The accident made him a quadriplegic. He spent a lot of time at a hospital in Atlanta, then came back home near our house (down a few miles or so) and was in and out of the hospital a lot.

Then I found out two weeks ago that he was back in the hospital with bad infections, and was not expected to make it a week. I ran into his older daughter while getting gas and she told me where he was. I asked if I could stop by and wish him and his family well, and she said that would be great. But I got to thinking if it would have been acceptable to stop by and visit a dying man on his deathbed, since I wasn't family or friends. I wanted to, but I wasn't sure if that would been right.

Now I think I should have at least stopped by for a few minutes. Would that have been a bit too creepy or what, for someone you don't really know to show up at the hospital and visit your husband or wife on their deathbed?

Thorzdad
Dec 10, 2009, 10:32 AM

It's a tough call but, since you didn't really have an active relationship, I'd say visiting him in the hospital may have been a little odd. A card with a nice, handwritten note to him and his family would have been my preferred line of contact, if I felt like I really needed to say something. It's not too late to send his family a little note.

tortenteufel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2009, 10:55 AM

Obviously, you are not happy with the fact that you didn’t go to see him. My advice: send a card or something to his relatives and offer your condolances. You could write that, although he was jus an acquaintance of you, you liked the guy.

I can’t imagine that a gesture like that will not be appreciated by the ones left behind. When I lost someone dear, I found comfort in those little things…..

lexapro
Baninated
Dec 10, 2009, 12:47 PM

Send his family a card and flowers. Write to them how much you liked him and your experiences with him just like you did here. It will mean so much to them.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll be getting cards and flowers.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2009, 04:58 PM

Visiting him would've been fine.

He must've been a great guy for someone he only met 8 or 9 times to go and see him, right? Then that's great stuff.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2009, 05:05 PM

Yeah. His friends are running his business for him trying to keep it going so his family has something beyond the insurance claims.

Forum Links
Forum Rules