Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro - Monitor Color Problems with Startup

Mac Pro - Monitor Color Problems with Startup
phkc070408
Feb 14, 2011, 03:50 AM

I have a MAC Pro that is about 4 years old, running the latest version of 10.5 with all updates.

Whenever I start up my computer, my monitor acts normally through the boot-up process (the apple appears normal), but just before my computer is fully booted, my colors change to a minimul number of colors, maybe 8 or so. I have to unplug the monitor from the back of the computer and re-plug it is. At that point it works fine.

My video card has two monitor ports. I tried changing to the other port. It appeared to correct the problem for about a week, but now the problem has started up again.

Can anyone reccomend anything to correct or test this?

PS, the problem started after I let my nephew, who is not familar with macs, use my computer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2011, 04:25 AM

What details are shown about your monitor when you go to the Display pane of System Preferences? Have you tried booting in Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key at startup?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

phkc070408  (op)
Feb 14, 2011, 09:29 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by details, but the colors are set to millions.
Display Profile: HD Cinema

Haven't tried Safe Mode yet. Will try it and get back to you.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 14, 2011, 09:30 AM

Before you unplug the display, check that the "enhance contrast" option in the Universal Access System Preference is set at the lowest setting, labeled Normal.

phkc070408  (op)
Feb 27, 2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Before you unplug the display, check that the "enhance contrast" option in the Universal Access System Preference is set at the lowest setting, labeled Normal.
That was it!!! Thank You Chris!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules