Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Sound not working

Mac Mini Sound not working
mkral
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2012, 09:45 AM

I have a 2007 mac mini that is a backup computer. It works great, but just recently the sound started disappearing. By disappearing, I mean that the speaker icon greys out on the menu bar & I cannot play sounds through either the internal speaker or the sound out port. I've been able to fix this by opening the minit & resetting the PRAM via the button. Last night, this fix stopped working. Does this sound like it might be a dead PRAM battery to you guys? I can fix the battery, but if that is likely not the problem, I'd rather not tear the mini apart.

the only other way I know to see if the PRAM battery is working is to check the time/date, but that is normal. I am not sure if that is due to the fact that I have it auto-syncd to one of Apple's servers & as such, it auto-corrects before I can verify it.

If it's not the PRAM battery, does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

joshua305
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2012, 01:54 PM

I just returned from apple store after second motherboard replacement. My MOBO on my early 2009 Mini died this month. Thankfully it was still under warranty. I discovered that after it was replaced, I no longer had any sound on the computer, symptoms were exactly same as your. All option greyed out and no internal option (grey or otherwise) showing at all.

They put in a new MOBO yesterday to repair it. It may be that this is easiest/cheapest way for apple to fix, but at least on this model, they said sound jack and controller were all soldered/built on to MOBO and did not even mention possibility of it being a battery.

MacAssemble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2012, 09:05 AM

Sound cards are not built-in, they are separate boards not even close to the logic board inside the case. My own early 2009 Mac Mini (C2D, Mini Displayport etc) failed. I resorted to a $10 USB audio "card."

P
May 2, 2012, 09:57 AM

Separate sound cards are very rare these days. Usually it is a chip from a company such as Realtek somewhere on the motherboard. The Mac mini certainly has this design - it is VERY cramped in that small box, and there is absolutely no space for an extra sound card.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2012, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I won't waste my time trying to swap the PRAM battery. I have a bluetooth speaker at home that I orginally bought for my ipad. I'll give that a go & see if it works.

Thanks again for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules