Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac factory installed SSD, plug and play?

iMac factory installed SSD, plug and play?
Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2011, 07:27 PM

I have factory installed apple 256GB SSD. Can I simply go out there and buy a third party and install it in place of the original? Does Apple use any special mounting points?

Also, will the end user also be able to use this drive plug and play? For example, if I sell it to someone with a MacBook Air, will all the existing brackets be all that is necessary to install?
2011 27" iMac: Core i7 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HD,

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2011, 09:36 PM

The iMacs use standard 2.5" SSDs as far as I know, the MacBook Air is using a mini PCI-E based unit. OWC have third party replacements available for them. The iMac SSD will go in a MacBook Pro.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules