Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mini's no longer shipping with iLife '05 DVD

View Poll Results: Did your Mini come with the iLife '05 DVD?
Poll Options:
Yes 27 votes (71.05%)
No 11 votes (28.95%)
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll
Mini's no longer shipping with iLife '05 DVD
MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 12:36 PM

I just got my BTO Mini (See Sig), upon opening it up the first thing I looked for was the iLife '05 DVD but it wasn't there!

What I did notice however is they included a sheet of proof of purchases to show that you own it. Once I fired up my Mini I looked and iLife '05 is now pre-installed. iMovie HD, Garage Band 2, etc were all installed.

This is my first Mac... Right now I have it sitting on top of my parents monster dell desktop (using the keyboard, mouse, monitor, will have apples bluetooth keyboard later today).

I love it!

In the process of updating everything right now, things are running as smooth as silk.

I will post pictures in the picture thread later tonight.

JasonA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 12:50 PM

The one I got had the iLife 05 DVD. But it also loaded the iLife apps from the system DVD when I reinstalled the system, which I thought was interesting...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 02:13 PM

...my cousin got the iLife '05 DVD as well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by JasonA:
The one I got had the iLife 05 DVD. But it also loaded the iLife apps from the system DVD when I reinstalled the system, which I thought was interesting...
You're sure it was iLife 05 that got loaded, or 04?

doopstr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 03:24 PM

Apple has started shipping Mini's with OS restore disk 1.1 that has iLife 05 included. No need for the iLife DVD.

My OS restore 1.0 is now a collector's item

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2005, 03:41 PM

I had separate iLife 05 installer disks. I guess my restore disks are 1.0 then...

-t

MDWeezer  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by jon l. dawson:
You're sure it was iLife 05 that got loaded, or 04?
Yes... iMovie HD was loaded and Garage Band had the keyboard piano feature. I'm not sure of the other specifics but those were the immediate ones that caught my eye that I knew were '05 specific.

But as another poster said, apparently new restore discs are being bundled.

Either way I've got it and i'm very happy with my new Mini

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 12:34 AM

I know that the iLife DVDs that were in the box are usually added at the store where you buy them (assuming that you buy them from an Apple Store). I don't know if the mini was done the same way as the other models, considering that they came out at basically the same time as the iLife update.

What might have happened is that the store just put DVDs in all of their minis -- even if they didn't need to. Maybe this was done during the switch over period between v1.0 and v1.1 of the restore disc, just to be sure that everyone got a copy of iLife '05.

BTW -- I just got a 2.0Ghz G5 at work and a iMac G5 as well, and they both had iLife '05 DVDs as well (actually, the PM G5 had both a DVD and CD) -- which is weird because all G5s now ship with SuperDrives. You don't even have the option of not getting DVD on any of them.
dennis

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2005, 12:28 AM

I just got my mini today and it did not have the iLife '05 DVD, just the restore discs.

jase71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 05:30 PM

So... when Tiger comes out, if we want to do a clean install of the OS, can we just install iLife off the restore discs that came with the Mini?

zed57
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by jase71:
So... when Tiger comes out, if we want to do a clean install of the OS, can we just install iLife off the restore discs that came with the Mini?
Good question!!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 12:03 AM

You will be able to install from the restore disks. I have never had a problem reinstalling from the restore disks on any of my Macs after updating the OS.

SamGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2005, 07:12 PM

for those who didn't get the iLife 05 DVD:
What model did you order? (1.25 or 1.42)
Might there be any other difference? (such as Apple may finally be shipping 4200RPM 40GB HDs instead of the 5400RPM models)

LouZer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2005, 11:11 PM

Bah! I have a better question. In the past, Apple's system software has always come with the iApps (installing 10.3 installed iPhoto2 and iMovie 3). Will Tiger also come with the iApps? Any at all, even the previous versions (version 4)? Or is Apple just going to cut the cord now and pull them completely from the system disks?

Certainly beats the hell out of "Can we install iLife from the restore disks"

LouZer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by SamGuy:
for those who didn't get the iLife 05 DVD:
What model did you order? (1.25 or 1.42)
Might there be any other difference? (such as Apple may finally be shipping 4200RPM 40GB HDs instead of the 5400RPM models)
Don't you mean that the other way around? I didn't think there were 5400 drives in the mini.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 12:17 AM

does this even matter?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by LouZer:
Don't you mean that the other way around? I didn't think there were 5400 drives in the mini.
A good portion of the early 1.25GHz models actually shipped with a 5400 RPM drive. I guess Apple had a shortage of the 40GB drives and had to go with the faster one.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2005, 10:53 AM

the "flat packs" were placed in the boxes in China, unless local stores are messing up and have no idea what's happening.

I'd presume the iLife will always trail the current iLife package by ONE step, so if current is 05, then the OS will come with 04.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by LouZer:
Bah! I have a better question. In the past, Apple's system software has always come with the iApps (installing 10.3 installed iPhoto2 and iMovie 3). Will Tiger also come with the iApps? Any at all, even the previous versions (version 4)? Or is Apple just going to cut the cord now and pull them completely from the system disks?
iTunes will be the only iLife app included. No iPhoto 2 even

fritzw1957
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2005, 07:02 PM

I'm wondering if the utility called "D.B. Cooper" will allow you to extract the iLife '05 apps to your desktop so you could theoretically make a CD/DVD of the iApps. D.B. Cooper used to be able to extract the AppleWorks, WorldBook, etc. apps from the system restore discs in the past.

Anyone know if this utility would work? I don't have a Mac mini restore disc to test.

D.B. Cooper can be found here.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 07:05 PM

I didn't see if my mini came with the iLife 05 DVD... it was preinstalled and I'm pretty sure it's on one of the many DVDs I got, but I don't know which one.

Oh, and mine is a stock 1.25 GHz purchased from the Apple Store in the Rosedale Mall in Minnesota, and it has a 5400 RPM hard drive.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules