Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > color screen on an iPod = useless

color screen on an iPod = useless (Page 2)
porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 03:56 PM

Well, wireless would be ok if you could turn it off.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by porieux:
Well, wireless would be ok if you could turn it off.
If it's off what's the use of having it? It renders it useless if you turn it off.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 04:53 PM

Apple's Official Reply to OP:

TOUGH LUCK.

That, BTW, is their answer to everyone who ever said, "Apple should..."

Apple should...port OS X to Intel.
Apple should...not artificially limit the iBook to not support screen spanning.
Apple should...make Macs more upgradeable.
Apple should...include more memory standard.

ad infinitum.

Apple is a company that exists to make products that make me money (hee hee ). They've made the decision that the set of people who'll buy a color iPod is larger than the set of people who'll buy a huge 60GB monochrome iPod and thus they make the smaller color iPod. For one because the market has said 15 hours battery life is just fine with them and that 30GB is really all they need, Apple produces that model. Why make a product that 100 people will buy when you can make a product that 10000 people will buy?

Their market research is showing that not many people are looking for 60GB music players and in fact 30-40 GB is the threshold for most people. It's pretty much as simple as that. In fact, that's one of the discoveries that came out of the iPod mini. The majority of people out there are actually fine with having just 4 GB of music! Imagine that!

As for personal attacks, the OP should cool it with the wanker, stupid people and simpleton comments. Unless he simply wanted to start a flame war, I'd say he incited it.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
If it's off what's the use of having it? It renders it useless if you turn it off.

Is this really a serious question??

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by cmoney:

As for personal attacks, the OP should cool it with the wanker, stupid people and simpleton comments. Unless he simply wanted to start a flame war, I'd say he incited it.
Disagree. And Wanker was his name.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 05:00 PM

Is this really a serious question??
Yes, considering you say that Wifi on something like the iPod is useful. Then you say you can shut it off. Therefore it being off isn't too useful is it?

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 05:01 PM

Just wanted to add that there are just as many people out there who don't see music as being purely an audio experience. Music also consists of cover art, live performances, pictures of the band, etc and I know quite a few people who don't even wanna to start downloading music because they still wanna get the cd liners and all that, it's that important to them.

To these people, seeing the cover art right on the screen is just as important to them as playing lossless music is to you.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 05:04 PM

Disagree. And Wanker was his name.
Oh yeah, what a wankerish name.

But you can disagree as much as you want but if you equate people wanting color screens to sheep, well...

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
Yes, considering you say that Wifi on something like the iPod is useful. Then you say you can shut it off. Therefore it being off isn't too useful is it?

tavilach
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Sorry, where did I make a personal attack?

Oh right... right here:

You stupid POS.

BTW there are other mp3 players on the market, he isnt forced to buy Apple. <--- Simple.

Chris
Did I ever say that he was forced to "buy Apple"? I defended his position, and I defended everyone else's position. Why? Because I agree with aspects of both. You might be used to always taking one side, but the world isn't black and white...

*Awaits racist joke...*

As for the personal attack, the tone of "If you don't want to see photo's on a colour screened mp3 player, then for Gods sake, DON'T BUY AN IPOD PHOTO" implies a personal attack. It's essentially the same as saying, "You dumbass. Don't buy one." I resent comments like that.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 10:29 PM

...Smart people who just want a larger HD should not be forced to buy useless features that are just there to attract the sheep.
I've not been approached by Apple yet to force me to buy one of their iPods. However, when they do "force" me to purchase, I do hope that it is one of the biggest (larger HD), most versitile (ability to present information in a way that allows me to use my senses to their fullest [read: my world is in color], and most cutting edge product they've come to produce to date.

Then again, I don't anticipate being "forced" to purchase anything I don't want to.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 11:25 PM

You know exactly what I meant.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 10:15 AM

This thread has gotten stupid.

A poster back on page 1 hit the nail on the head. Want more than 20GB of storage and don't want a color screen?

Go grab a 40GB iPod then. You can still find them for a few more days.

Honestly, folks, be real. Three days ago, you'd pay $399 for a 40GB iPod. Now you can get a 60GB iPod for just 50 bucks more. Or you can get slightly less storage at 30GB for 50 bucks less.

If your beef is that you really wish Apple had kept a 40GB in the lineup, then say that. But to bitch about the color screens is stupid. Given the price drops, you are not paying more to get a color screen. I'm sure some will argue that ostensibly you are, but you can just as easily think of it as Apple taking a little bit out of their profit margins to pay for your having a color screen.

Think of it as an early Christmas present.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by John123:
This thread has gotten stupid.

A poster back on page 1 hit the nail on the head. Want more than 20GB of storage and don't want a color screen?

Go grab a 40GB iPod then. You can still find them for a few more days.

Honestly, folks, be real. Three days ago, you'd pay $399 for a 40GB iPod. Now you can get a 60GB iPod for just 50 bucks more. Or you can get slightly less storage at 30GB for 50 bucks less.

If your beef is that you really wish Apple had kept a 40GB in the lineup, then say that. But to bitch about the color screens is stupid. Given the price drops, you are not paying more to get a color screen. I'm sure some will argue that ostensibly you are, but you can just as easily think of it as Apple taking a little bit out of their profit margins to pay for your having a color screen.

Think of it as an early Christmas present.
While that is true the original poster's point was that the ipods shuold just stay as monchrome screens since according to them having a color screen is useless.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2005, 12:24 PM

I think the original poster fits the defintion of

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
I think the original poster fits the defintion of
I think that we all fit the definition of .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 02:21 AM

WHO CARES?!?

if you guys dont like color screened ipods, dont buy it. *sigh*

b/w ipods are selling cheaper than before online (for larger sizes) ...

if you want more battery life / capacity, in a slimmer case, WAIT A FEW MONTHS TO A YEAR and you will get more capacity and better battery life. maybe even a slimmer case. CHILL...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 03:39 AM

Think for a moment. The appeal of the iPod has never been about the raw features and definitely not about price. It's the look, the feel, the style.

In order for Apple to stay competitive, this is the direction they feel they need to go. Honestly, a monochrome screen at this point is starting to look outdated, and makes other players look a lot more modern and appealing.

You seem incredulous that Apple has gone ahead and done something which, to me, seems really sensible. For some reason you think that they should cater to your individual needs rather than the larger demographic that they are targeting. Seems to me that most of us like our color screens and camera and video phones, we don't have our music library in a lossless format, and we're rather impressed with how much you can store on the latest music players and by how long the battery lasts.

I get the feeling that whatever they'd have released, you wouldn't be satisfied.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 26, 2005, 07:45 AM

Well a lot of people missed my point and or made incorrect assumptions, but that's ok i understand.

Looks like I'm going to order a 40GB iPod Photo while they last, but I really wasn't ready to buy until next month. Still don't see the need for the color screen, but I guess it will be cool to see the album covers

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
I think that we all fit the definition of .
No, just you.

Been dropping ivory rhino's on your PB lately?

tavilach
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
No, just you.

Been dropping ivory rhino's on your PB lately?

Yes.

Been digging through old threads to prove your superiority?

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Yes.

Been digging through old threads to prove your superiority?
Proof is not necessary given your less than stellar history on these boards......

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 09:09 AM

I totally agree with porieux.

I mean, I just can't find a portable music player that will hold ALL my music!! In spite of what everyone says, I use Kazaa to download all my music and my collection is well over 3 jillion songs!! I heard from my best (LOL!!12@) friend that when I convert my downloaded songs to AWV (or was it WAV?!) then it like totally dominates your ears! He said not to worry about the file size and just buy a music player that can hold it ALL!!

Geez Apple!!@!. Stop forcing me to buy your stuff just because I like to listen to my (illegal) music in ultra-bitrate form1!!

Gawd, they need to make an iPod with like 800gb of storage! That would r0Xor5!1!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 09:29 AM

Hmm, with the kids battling for attention, this thread has gone downhill quickly.
So now, it's about ...

MILFs!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 27, 2005, 02:47 PM

I guess a lot of people just aren't really that into music, if they think 40GB is a lot....

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 04:37 PM

That must be it. I commend you, then, your taste and interest in music is clearly superior to those of us who do not have as many mp3s.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 27, 2005, 04:55 PM

You should

alex627
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Don't tell me you honestly think the iPod mini should never get a colour screen. Or do you prefer monochrome phones too?
What is your obsession with color telephones? Who cares if a TELEPHONE has a color screen? The reason they have color screens is to make people upgrade to them. It is marketing. It is not functional. Color screens on a PDA are also largely non-functional. The purpose is to make you want one instead of your old totally lame monochrome PDA. OMG how 1990's.

iPod Photo is an overpriced relatively (compared to a regular) useless upgrade. THAT is why the price was reduced. Nobody needs it and most people won't pay more for features they know they don't need.

Stop attacking people who have different opinions. We are all slaves to marketing.

Most of you sound like girls at a mall. Gag me with a fork you losers. Get a life. Why did I even come in here?

Oh BTW while the United States goes down the toilet and people all over the world suffer and die from starvation and AIDS you idiots are in here arguing over a product that 90% of the population of the world could only dream of ever having. What a complete waste of brain power.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:52 AM

^ What he said. Except I believe if you have the money, then by all means use it. To each his own.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by alex627:
What is your obsession with color telephones? Who cares if a TELEPHONE has a color screen? The reason they have color screens is to make people upgrade to them. It is marketing. It is not functional. Color screens on a PDA are also largely non-functional. The purpose is to make you want one instead of your old totally lame monochrome PDA. OMG how 1990's.

iPod Photo is an overpriced relatively (compared to a regular) useless upgrade. THAT is why the price was reduced. Nobody needs it and most people won't pay more for features they know they don't need.

Stop attacking people who have different opinions. We are all slaves to marketing.

Most of you sound like girls at a mall. Gag me with a fork you losers. Get a life. Why did I even come in here?

Oh BTW while the United States goes down the toilet and people all over the world suffer and die from starvation and AIDS you idiots are in here arguing over a product that 90% of the population of the world could only dream of ever having. What a complete waste of brain power.
Don't be such a damn hypocrite. If you don't like these forums, nobody is forcing you to stay... what did you expect by coming here? A conference on world peace? Ahh, but you're here too, arguing about the virtues of a product. Just because you are arguing for the other side doesn't make you a hero. How many AIDS victims and starving people have you helped today? Get off your high horse, you sound ridiculous.

I like color screens. I find them much easier to read and they allow the product to be more versatile. I'm all for progress in technology, I give it well under a decade before monochrome screens are ancient history. If a 1990's cell phone and Palm Pilot work for you, then go for it. The rest of the world appreciates the new capabilities.
( Last edited by maxintosh; Feb 28, 2005 at 02:24 AM. )

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2005, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by alex627:

What are you talking about?! I use a map on my PDA quite a lot when travelling and color makes it much more useful. Color also makes pictures much more useful too. And yeah, guess what, pictures are more than just a marketing ploy. My real estate agent used her cell phone to take pictures of houses she saw and sent them to my cell phone. In fact, that enabled me to find out about the house I ended up buying before another couple did and I won the bid as a result.

Phones aren't just used to talk to people anymore. Yeah that's the primary purpose, but as these new technologies are added, these things become so much more than just phones. They're quickly approaching personal communication devices. My sidekick allows me to stay on top of ebay auctions from wherever I am. It lets me communicate via SMS with my grandmother who's 10k miles away.

If you luddites don't want to make use of these features, fine. But don't hold back other people who do want to make use of them.

As for needing color: people need color music players as much as people need to carry around 15,000 songs with them. Think about it, does anyone really NEED 15,000 songs? Or is it really a question of WANTING 15,000 songs? Or WANTING lossless playback? If so, why should your wants outweigh our wants?!

I'll let the other poster's reply speak for me. But just to point out the obvious, you just wasted your own brain power as well. You could've used it to convince me to donate money to an AIDS charity but instead you've shown your true luddite self.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 03:07 AM

This thread makes baby jesus cry.

All we need now is references to Nazi Germany and some social commentary about Bush to make it complete!

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
All we need now is references to Nazi Germany and some social commentary about Bush to make it complete!

Happy to oblige. This thread would make Hitler and his compatriot Bush cry!

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 28, 2005, 05:03 AM

LOL

People who are saying you don't need XXXXXXX number of songs, maybe YOU don't need that many, but I think you are missing the point as to why it is important to others. It's not about listening to all of them all the time, but it's about having ACCESS to anything you want to hear when you want to hear it. I don't listen to the same 100 songs or whatever over and over, I think that's ridiculous. With SMART PLAYLISTS you can leverage that amount of music to do some pretty amazing things, and always have really great music for any occasion.

Turns out I ordered the iPod Photo 40GB after all. I still think the color screen is unnecessary, but I will appreciate the higher resolution and the album art. I definitely won't use it for photos, I don't think that feature is interesting at all. What I really wanted was the 40GB of storage.

We shall see how it goes.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 06:39 AM

Y'll just luv the color display!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 02:31 PM

Too bad the PowerBook doesn't use a monochrome display. Imagine the battery life on it then!

There's still a monochrome model available for those that want it, but with the improved battery life of the color models, you can now get through an entire day (minus sleeping) on one charge. How much more battery life do you need?

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 28, 2005, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Too bad the PowerBook doesn't use a monochrome display. Imagine the battery life on it then!

Yeah too bad that would severely limit its actual functionality, unlike the iPod.

Originally posted by JHromadka:

There's still a monochrome model available for those that want it, but with the improved battery life of the color models, you can now get through an entire day (minus sleeping) on one charge. How much more battery life do you need?
As much as possible! Don't you? I don't ever want the battery to run out on me when I need it.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 28, 2005, 08:18 PM

Also the monochrome model doesn't offer the HD capacity that the color models do. That was the point of the initial post, that you shouldn't have to buy a color screen to get a large HD. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2005, 09:42 PM

This is beyond ridiculous now.

porieux, you have expressed your opinion. Your complaint and dissent with Apple's corporate marketing strategy has been logged, re-logged, and re-logged.

With all due respect....SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY.

At this point, it's obnoxious and no one is saying anything new or worthwhile. This thread needs to die.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 28, 2005, 10:28 PM

LOL at you

Don't like it, don't read it. No need to act like like a baby about it

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 10:34 PM

Can one of the Mods lock this thread already?

This thread debate has been beaten like a dead horse. One person thinks they shouldn't have to buy a color screen to get a larger HD because to them the color screen is "useless" yet this person would want an equally if not more so useless feature like Wifi or Bluetooth on an iPod. Most people if not everyone else who has posted to this thread thinks the color screen is a good thing and just a part of progression.

Simply, summarized, Done.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 28, 2005, 10:43 PM

You don't get it

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2005, 12:06 AM

You don't get it
Everyone gets it. You're just trolling. That's the problem.

Talk about acting like a baby...someone is having a serious episode of projection...

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 01:52 AM

You don't get it
You're right, I haven't gotten a color iPod yet. But I will one day, crappy (not) battery life and all.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2005, 02:42 AM

Enough.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Forum Links
Forum Rules