Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB on desk - Neck strain?

PB on desk - Neck strain?
jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 11:10 AM

How many of you use your PB on a desk, where you're high enough that you can type without any discomfort, and you have to look down at the PB? I'd like to hear from anyone who has this configuration without a stand or iCurve... How is it on your neck?

I had an iCurve and didn't like it with my PB 17". It bounced when I typed with the external keyboard, and seemed to tilt slightly to the left or right depending on how the weight was balanced. I may consider getting another stand if it really bothers my neck this way, but I much prefer to use the PB keyboard than prop it up and use an external keyboard. It's cool if it works for you, but I would rather not if I can avoid it...

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 11, 2005, 11:17 AM

I have a 12 inch powerbook and I use it without iCurve. It really kills the neck if you use it a couple of days, the whole day. I don't. At work I use a Thinkpad with an external keyboard and an iCurve.

My powerbook every day without stand wouldn't be nice.
For a few hours in the evening or at the weekends (sometimes the whole day working on my own projects) isn't a problem.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2005, 11:35 AM

Have you tried turning the PB around on the iCurve. If you're looking down, it's workable. Not sure what you mean about the bouncing. If I type on my 17 on the keyboard, there's a little bounce but not with an external keyboard.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jon l. dawson  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 12:08 PM

At work I use a desktop PC. At home I have a desktop PC for general purpose use and the Powerbook for coding and development. I don't see myself using it more than a few hours a day, maybe a little more on the weekend.

The iCurve was bouncy for me, even though I have a relatively stable desk. Any time I'd type on the keyboard it would shake enough to be distracting. It doesn't do this otherwise with the Powerbook on the desk & it doesn't happen with my LCD monitor on the same desk (which is raised up and is normally sensitive to movement). I already returned the iCurve I do have a Coolpad though which I may try out. I really just like using the Powerbook as it is, on a flat surface. I'll have to see what it's like for extended periods...

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 12:11 PM

I totally agree--using a Powerbook directly on a desk will kill your neck if not within a few hours. I have a 12" PB which is even worse than a 17".

I use a Macally Icepad to raise up my PB. It's decent at the highest elevation.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 10:50 PM

You can do your body serious harm by using a laptop on a desk without a stand; I had to have ultrasound therapy to relieve disk (the spine kind, not computer kind) compression caused by it. So I got an iCurve (which worked great with my 12" PB -- no bouncing) and external keyboard, then an external display, which stopped the problem.

Now when I use the PB without externals, I sit in a recliner and put the PB on a tilting tray table. This keeps the monitor just below eye level, my wrists in a comfortable position, and my neck not thrust forward -- all of which are essential to preventing injury. There are other stands and tables available that do the same thing; you might check the peripherals thread. This link is outdated but may help.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 12, 2005, 09:50 AM

I will soon be getting an external display (most likely a Dell 2405FPW :drool: ) for this reason. The PB's display is just too low. I already have the PB elevated and it's still not enough. :stretches: :cracks: :books appointment with chiropractor:

tooki

gphillipk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 12:05 PM

I've noticed the difference for the past 4 days since I started using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard with my 15" PB. The PB can get uncomfortable to use on a hot day. Plus, I can now lean back on my chair...I'm also looking for a well-priced 17" LCD screen to add to the setup and eliminate neck strain. At the moment I have to increase the font size on almost every webpage I open...

osxisfun
Aug 12, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
I will soon be getting an external display (most likely a Dell 2405FPW :drool: ) for this reason. The PB's display is just too low. I already have the PB elevated and it's still not enough. :stretches: :cracks: :books appointment with chiropractor:

tooki

you waiting for a sale? It;s been a couple of weeks so it should be coming up soon.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2005, 03:14 PM

tooki
You're not the only one. Read this article from last week and this report cited therein for guidelines on monitor placement etc.

waterbuck
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2005, 02:47 AM

I agree with, most importantly, an external keyboard and mousepad (preferably the kind that rolls out from underneath your desktop) with the powerbook on the desk and potentially elevated. I don't think it is bad to have the PB on the typically high desktop, but it is not good if you are scrunched over that desktop trying to type on the powerbook keys, because it tends to force you to hold your neck in one downward-looking position for as long as you are typing.

Many ergonomic websites will mention that placing the screen directly in front of you, requiring you to look dead on or even up, is not optimum for most people although it certainly works for some. A screen height 15 degrees below "dead on" is sometimes considered optimum because it permits you to either bend your head down or to divert your eyeballs down while not bending your neck. At this point my sense is that neck pain issues develop whenever you get into a situation where you are forcing yourself to hold the neck in one position only for long periods of time. If you can sit back from the Powerbook and interact with a keyboard that sticks out from your desk, and perhaps raise and lower the PB or its external screen, then you can flexibly change the position of your neck and head throughout the day...
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 14, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
you waiting for a sale? It;s been a couple of weeks so it should be coming up soon.
I was going to buy one two weeks ago, but I realized that based on the estimated ship time, it would arrive while i was vacationing out of state. I'll just wait for the next sale.

tooki

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 08:20 PM

tooki
You can see my Dell 2405FPW and PB17 on its iCurve, all happy campers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules