Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another battery post (sorry)

Another battery post (sorry)
jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 08:26 AM

I know this has been discussed to death, and in the end from reading all the threads I have concluded it's best to just use the notebook how you use it and not obsess about prolonging overall battery life/health. But I was wondering to interpret Apple's guidelines:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

They say they do not recommend keeping a notebook plugged in all the time, without explaining why. They give suggestions for either someone who uses a notebook with and without the battery on a regular basis, or for someone who only uses the notebook occasionally.

I use my notebook as a desktop for most of the time and then take it around the house or sometimes to the Library, but mostly it's on a desk plugged in. Based on apple's guidelines I'm not sure what they would recommend in my case. Keep it plugged in and discharge the battery fully once a month? Keep the battery stored at 50% unless I know I'll be using it?

I know it's just a battery but I want to protect my investment. I didn't really think about this much after reading the threads here until I came across this page at Apple and got confused.

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 12:48 PM

search posts
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

jon l. dawson  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 05:24 PM

Thanks DARTH for the brilliant suggestion

chromos
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 05:59 PM

Well, I have an almost 3-yr old TiBook and found out about those guidelines only in the past year or so. About the same time that I saw my battery life dwindle from 3:45 hrs to about 2:00-2:30. Like you, I tended to keep the 'Book plugged in all the time. Of course, I don't know if things would be different had I followed Apple's guidelines, but on my next purchase I'm not going to take a chance!

What I do now is unplug my notebook around 8:00 pm or so, knowing that there will be plenty of juice for normal usage before I have to go to bed. Then just plug it in and let it recharge o/n. Just a little change to my normal routine, and I'm within the guidelines... hth.

jon l. dawson  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 10:25 PM

Thanks... Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking about trying, I mean I do use it around the house now and then, but I might just run it on battery while I'm doing work on the desk from time to time, just to keep the battery active. That would seem to be what Apple is recommending, anyway.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by chromos
Well, I have an almost 3-yr old TiBook and found out about those guidelines only in the past year or so. About the same time that I saw my battery life dwindle from 3:45 hrs to about 2:00-2:30. Like you, I tended to keep the 'Book plugged in all the time. Of course, I don't know if things would be different had I followed Apple's guidelines, but on my next purchase I'm not going to take a chance!

What I do now is unplug my notebook around 8:00 pm or so, knowing that there will be plenty of juice for normal usage before I have to go to bed. Then just plug it in and let it recharge o/n. Just a little change to my normal routine, and I'm within the guidelines... hth.
Keep in mind that LiOH batteries start to decay from the moment they are assembled, whether used at all or not (they gradually oxidise). It seems the maximum shelf life for most laptop LiOH batteries is between 5-7 years, typically (periodic charges to 50-60% capacity, and storing in a cool, dry area will help extend that). So after 3 years, usage notwithstanding, your battery's capacity will inherently be less then when it was new, and will continue to go down.

chromos
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kvasir
Keep in mind that LiOH batteries start to decay from the moment they are assembled, whether used at all or not (they gradually oxidise). It seems the maximum shelf life for most laptop LiOH batteries is between 5-7 years, typically (periodic charges to 50-60% capacity, and storing in a cool, dry area will help extend that). So after 3 years, usage notwithstanding, your battery's capacity will inherently be less then when it was new, and will continue to go down.
Thanks Kvasir, I didn't know that. For my next pbook purchase, I was planning on getting a spare battery and switching between the two, thinking that that would extend the life of both, but it seems that's not the case. I don't really need the extended working time that a 2nd battery would afford, so you just saved me $100+. Thanks!

jon l. dawson  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 11:16 AM

Yup. Actually that you only lost a little more than an hour of battery life after three years is pretty good. I probably lost that after a year of using my iBook, but I barely ever used it plugged in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules