Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Matias keyboards?

Matias keyboards?
hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2005, 07:40 AM

I've read the rave reviews on this message board about the Matias Tactile Pro. It's expensive at $100. Does anyone have experience with their lower priced ($40) Mac OS X Keyboard which I imagine, due to the price difference, is based on a different technology? I'm trying to decide between the low priced Matias and Apple's regular keyboard but I've never found a Matias in a store to try out.

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2005, 07:46 AM

No, the OS X keyboard does not use the expensive mechanical switches, it is a `regular' high-quality keyboard.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 11:15 PM

I love my Matias TactilePro. Its klacky (read: noisy) like the old IBM AT keyboards, but the feel and weight of the keyswitches is great. If you type for hours on end, you'll love it. I hate typing on rubber dome-based keyboards now, and I can tell the difference instantly.

The only other modern keyboard I've seen that's in any way similar is the Das Keyboard (can be found on thinkgeek.com). Also uses klacky mechanical switches with special, individual key weighting. It comes only in black, and has no markings on the keys of any kind (see pic here.) Its a standard USB keyboard and it'll work on a PC or a Mac. $79, so its not really that much cheaper than the Matias TactilePro. Plus, it doesn't have two USB ports on it like the Matias does.

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2005, 11:39 PM

I really like my Tactile Pro a lot. My only complaint is that after just about a year, some of the lettering on the keys is wearing off. A bit annoying.

crooner
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 02:33 AM

Add my voice to the choir singing the praises for the Tactile Pro. When switching to USB I sorely missed the Great Apple Extended Keyboard II. As soon as I heard of the Tactile Pro I grabbed one and fell in love.

Yeah,... it's noisy. But I even like the noise. It has a very cool sound to it... almost like the sound of the keyboard interface to the computer "Mother" from Alien.

Another plus is Matias' support. These folks are incredible. I had a problem with one of my Tactile Pro's (I accidentally broken one of the feet) and they issued me an RMA and exchange with no questions asked. Furthermore, when I got the RMA I called them and got to talk to a real live person on the first try. Try that with most other companies. Fuggetiboudit!

Incidentally, I believe you can find it for $79 at Small Dog or OWC.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules