Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best PHP Editor for Mac

Best PHP Editor for Mac
kepardue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 11:34 PM

Carried over from the Mac OS X Forum (a misplaced posting), I'm looking for a good PHP editor for Mac, being a recent switcher with a Mac Mini. Some folks were suggesting Zend Studio if I were able to invest in it. I don't think I'd be able to get the $299 Pro version right now, but the $99 Standard version looks like it might suit me. Does anyone know if this contains the features listed from my previous post, and specifically, FTP? The Professional version says it has "Advanced FTP", but does the Standard version have FTP at all? I'd like to get into such tools as the code documenter, but I can grow into those with the $299 version later.

Also, I'm particularly interested to know if anyone has successfully set up XCode to edit PHP and made it a usable environment, and if indeed XCode is a good platform to being trying to expand into more in-depth programming techniques.

Thanks,
Kenneth

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 01:46 AM

I just use Subethaedit. I tweaked the syntax coloring to suit me. You can set up ftp clients like rbrowser to use it as an editor, when you double click a file in the ftp client it is opened in your editor and when you save it the changes are uploaded, just like if FTP was built into the editor.

SubEtha is fairly basic but none of the fancier editors seem to suit my taste. If you need code folding, pop up language help, project management, etc., you'll have to look elsewhere.

Remember that you can always run Xwindows and so have access to all the editors available for linux/ UNIX.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 01:48 AM

its actually pretty hard to beat bbedit - its just a bit more polished than these punk new editors.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 02:27 AM

http://www.tumultco.com/HyperEdit/
I like this personally just for the live showing feature.

hotani
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 02:19 PM

Not sure how 'feature-rich' you want to go, I tend to just want a text editor with syntax coloring and have found Smultron to work nicely.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 04:05 PM

I am (was) used to UltraEdit on the Windows.
Once I tried TextMate on the Mac, I threw out BBEdit, Smultron, Windows and SubEthaEdit and did a "Secure Empty Trash".

No, I don't know the developer, and I'm not getting payed for saying this. :>

It's not free though (39 euro), and it doesn't have built-in sftp/scp (so you'll have to bridge that by using an sftp-app).

Hmm, I'm not sure it SHOULD have built-in sftp-support...

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
http://www.tumultco.com/HyperEdit/
I like this personally just for the live showing feature.
Looks interesting. I'll try that out right away.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 04:30 PM

I started it, played around a bit and thought to myself: really really useful for (certaing phases of) web development. The it crashed on me (after about 40 seconds).

Anyway, promising. I'll give it another try right away.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 04:36 PM

I'm a big fan of phpEclipse. It's a set of plugins for the immensely popular Eclipse Java IDE, and provides syntax colouring, auto-completion and more of such goodness, combined with eclipse's own CVS support and such. It'll also work together nicely with dbg, the PHP debugger.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 06:37 PM

TextMate is the best editor on the Mac, IMO. Not free after 30 days, but it's fast, native, and support command line tools, which it can use to execute PHP. And the developer is very helpful.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
TextMate is the best editor on the Mac, IMO. Not free after 30 days, but it's fast, native, and support command line tools, which it can use to execute PHP. And the developer is very helpful.
hmm that does look nice - and reordring tabs - very sweet. i'll give it a whirl as I am not married to bbedit.
The Bitcastle

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2005, 08:39 PM

Another vote here for BBEdit. The built in FTP integration is perfect, and has pretty much every feature you could ask for.

Those programs with live previewing are pretty useless especially if you are doing PHP development on a remote server.
MBP 1.83

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 03:48 AM

Geesh, no one ever mentions it but SkEdit is a great program. I have used many of the programs above, SkEdit has some hard to beat features. Well worth trying it out. Once you buy it you can signup for th beta program, and I can tell you the new versions are looking great.

http://www.skti.org/skEdit.php

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by wr11
Geesh, no one ever mentions it but SkEdit is a great program. I have used many of the programs above, SkEdit has some hard to beat features. Well worth trying it out. Once you buy it you can signup for th beta program, and I can tell you the new versions are looking great.

http://www.skti.org/skEdit.php
skEdit is a nice program (i am a registered user), however the OP mentioned FTP support and the FTP support in skEdit is abysmal.
MBP 1.83

toffe
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 06:45 AM

I also use Smultron, its free and looks nice. it's got syntax highlighting, but that's about it.
But i manage with it.

if you mount the folder on the server, the workflow becomes rather pelasant, editing the files "over there", be then sure to make backups.

jmgriff
Nov 16, 2005, 07:54 AM

Komodo (ActiveState) ... an IDE for Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl and PHP. I've not used PHP, I'm currently trialing it for use with Python, but I think it has the features the OP asked for.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 06:19 PM

Definitely try TextWranger (and if you like it consider upgrading to BBEdit).

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2005, 07:57 PM

I use HyperEdit (link above). It's true that there are some bugs. But the developer has been very responsive in the past and I think this application will only get better with time.

It has some very nice, albeit simple, features. Simple, yet powerful

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by wr11
Geesh, no one ever mentions it but SkEdit is a great program.
it is a great program - my only beef was it got slow on big files - which is not really acceptable for me.
The Bitcastle

Forum Links
Forum Rules