Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod got run over by a car!

iPod got run over by a car!
Mr cally
May 23, 2006, 09:01 PM

Hi,

ok so my ipod mini 4bg got run over by 3 or 4 cars as i ran accross a busy road ... i picked it up and its still playing, nice...

the lcd screen has been distroyed but i can still use the thing, the one option i really, really want to change is the shuffle option.. now i can hear the clicks as i turn the click wheel so if i knew where to point the thing i could change the setting...

i wonder if anyone out there who has an iPod Mini could tell me the exact path to take or even better take some screenshots of there own ipod showing each step i need to take in sequential order to shuffle every track..

Thanks in advance

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 23, 2006, 09:51 PM

1) Press "Menu" about 10 times to make sure you're at the top menu.
2) Use the scroll wheel and move counterclockwise until the clicking stops. That means you're at the top of the top menu.
3) Use the scroll wheel and move clockwise three clicks. That brings you to "Shuffle Songs".
4) Press the middle button, to start the songs on shuffle.

P.S. Strong iPod mini.

Mr cally  (op)
May 23, 2006, 10:44 PM

yer she's a bit flatter now...

hmm, thanks for the help but it didnt seem to do the trick ... i thought it had to be changed from the settings menu..? atleast thats what the manual tells me, if it had pics i'd be laughing..

ever tried using one of these things without a screen, its painful

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 12:44 AM

The mini may not have the "Shuffle Songs" thing in the main menu. That's a relatively new feature, if I recall correctly.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 24, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
The mini may not have the "Shuffle Songs" thing in the main menu. That's a relatively new feature, if I recall correctly.
It does. However, that's assuming it's running the latest firmware update.

Mr cally  (op)
May 24, 2006, 01:49 AM

that'd be it then.. i havn't updated the firmware, if i do that i'll lose the data right?

hrmm, well if anyone can tell me the old way to get to it, that is through settings, i could avoid updating it .. it's got all the music i need on there i just want it to randomise and i'm not really interested in the latest software features seeing as i won't be able to do anything with them anyway..

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2006, 08:32 AM

Updater won't delete your songs if you just update. You CAN return the thing to factory settings and no songs if you want, but just updating won't do that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

greenmonkey71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 05:57 PM

thats exactly why i have not upgraded my ipod mini to a nano or even a 30g phot / video

the mini is a lump of metal, and not two seperate pieces like the ipod and the nano.

if i were you i would be tempted to just replace the screen from ebay rather than replace the unit, - so you can tell your mates, "THIS is my ipod, and it GOT RAN OVER BY A CAR"

indigoimac
Senior User
May 25, 2006, 09:47 PM

Hey if you want a new display or any other parts I think I've got you covered, link in sig, and these minis are really built like tanks, me likey! lol
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 11:03 AM

ArsTechnica abused an iPod nano (including running over with a car) and it worked FAR longer than you would have expected. The mini's not the only resilient iPod.

tooki

F*ckDell
Banned
May 26, 2006, 11:49 AM

I can't imagine a nano getting ran over by a car and still ticking... I ran my 4G over with a professional ride on lawn mower, besides a lot of scratches and the metal sides bent a little its fine. I got my GF the mini a few years ago, she dropped it in her dorm and had to get it replaced... all depends on luck I guess.

Kyros
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
I can't imagine a nano getting ran over by a car and still ticking... I ran my 4G over with a professional ride on lawn mower, besides a lot of scratches and the metal sides bent a little its fine. I got my GF the mini a few years ago, she dropped it in her dorm and had to get it replaced... all depends on luck I guess.
Arstechnica Ran over their nano with a car and it still worked, minus the screen. You are right about the luck part, especially with the hard drive based iPods. You can kill those with a simple drop on a hardwood floor if you are really unlucky (my friend's sister's mini).
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 05:27 PM

You should try a crosswalk. I hear they allow you time to walk across the street without rushing in front of traffic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules