Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > MCE launches FCPX-compatible BluRay authoring system for OS X

MCE launches FCPX-compatible BluRay authoring system for OS X
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 15, 2015, 04:19 PM

MCE Technologies (MCE) announced today that it has begun shipping its USB 3.0 16X Blu-ray Authoring System for the Mac. The new Blu-ray Authoring System takes advantage of the powerful high-definition video editing capabilities of the Mac Pro, iMac with Retina 5K Display, and MacBook Pro with Retina Display and is compatible with Final Cut Pro X's ability to author and burn Blu-ray Discs with themed menus.

High capacity 25GB single-layer and 50GB dual-layer write-once Blu-ray BD-R media are recorded with the new system at 16X (72MB/sec), to 100GB triple-layer and 128GB Quad-Layer write-once Blu-ray BD-R XL media at 6X (27MB/sec), and to 25GB, 50GB, and 100GB rewritable BD-RE discs at up to 2X (9MB/sec). The system includes Mac Blu-ray Player software for the playback of self-authored and commercial Blu-ray titles natively on the Mac.

The drive is compatible with Apple's DVD Player application for the playback of DVD movies as well as with Finder Burning for burning data Blu-ray Discs, DVDs and CDs at the Finder level. The drive is bootable and is fully compatible with all Blu-ray, DVD and CD recordable media on the market today and can record to standard DVD±R media at up to 16X (22MB/sec) speed, to DVD±R DL (Double/Dual Layer) media at up to 12X (16.5MB/sec) speed, to DVD±RW at up to 8X speed, and to CD-R and CD-RW media at up to 48X speed.

The MCE USB 3.0 16X Blu-ray Authoring System is $149 and includes a user's guide, a 25GB rewritable Blu-ray Disc, and Mac Blu-ray Player Software. Optional Blu-ray authoring software Roxio Toast 12 Titanium + HD/Blu-ray Plug-in available for $80.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2015, 07:06 PM

Wow! Do people still use physical media? I never went to BluRay and just stream HD content when I buy it. There are so many storage/streaming options for user created content that I wonder why people still cling to the past?

aardman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2015, 10:18 PM

I shoot elaborate, multi-cam hi-def videos and I need some way to store and distribute the movies. Streamed hi-def video is not as good as Blu-ray movies. If you've gone through the trouble of shooting and editing video, you'd hate to downgrade your picture quality when you share it with others. Plus the new M-disc media is rated to last 1000 years. Maybe that's overkill but the other storage alternatives will probably not last even one lifetime.

hayesk
May 16, 2015, 11:19 AM

@ElectroTech, professionals need a higher quality delivery system than YouTube or Vimeo. I don't know of a single streaming system that delivers anything approaching Blu-ray quality. This isn't for home movies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules