Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 9)
fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 7, 2005, 06:52 PM

is it no longer possible to re-order startup items?
(or am i missing something)

in panther, i dragged them about, in tiger they won't budge...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2005, 08:12 PM

I have two issues...

1. The fan on my 12" Rev. A PB keeps coming on. The CPU is is only at 25%-50% in use. I do not have Virex install and never have. The PB isn't hot to the touch, only warm. This time around it does seem to want to stop.

2. The Tiger firewall blocks all of my FTP clients. I have "FTP Access" checked in the firewall section. I also have passive mode checked in the Networks section.

JustinHoMi
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yeah, but at least 10.4 is not nuking Firewire drives. That was the worst bug of all time, IMO, although I was not harmed by it.
Actually, when I tried to install 10.4 on my firewire drive it corrupted the partition table so badly I was unable to recover the data with any of the major tools.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2005, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by LightWaver-67
Anyone else having Drag & Drop issues...?

I cannot open documents by dragging & dropping on icons of closed nor open applications. Nothing happens when I do it. I must use the "Open" dialog boxes.

I first noticed it w/ Photoshop CS... but came to realize that it happens in other apps too.

Am I the only one...?
I don't know about other apps, but the Photoshop CS one seems to be pretty widespread. Luckily, also easy to fix if you still have your "Previous System" saved from an archive & install. The file you need is Adobe Unit Types and it's in /Library/ScriptingAdditions/. When I replaced this file, Photoshop CS started working properly again in regards to opening files.

zensmile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 07:27 AM

Instead of just stating that you have x, y, and z bug with Tiger. How about stating computer, computer specs, third-party hardware specs (if giving trouble), third party software installed, and if the installation was a clean on or an upgrade. This would go a long way in helping people to possibly understand your problem. Also, did all of you buy Tiger or leech it from some other resource? Just don't state that it is a POS. That is a bit juvenile.

Nebuchadnezzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 10:02 AM

Tiger is a little buggy on my DP G5 but has killed my PBG4 1GHz. Both have 1Gig RAM... PB crashes on moving the mouse over the dock or clicking on anything. Time for a clean install

pat++
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by real
Anyone find the reason for the iChatAgent going red(App is not responding) in the ActivityViewer, I have this same problem have not found a fix
I have the exact same issue, and I opened a bug to Apple for this. I'm trying to gather more information about how to reproduce the issue and which computers are affected. Can you answer these two questions please :

- what is your computer?
- do you use Fast User Switching? (ie do you have several users logged in at the same time when this happens)?

Thanks !

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 07:27 PM

Seems like the iChat Agent issue is caused by Mail, do people who have this problem use Mail?

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 08:10 PM

Not going to read the whole thing, sorry if they're posted:

Finder still likes to crash when working with folders full of lots of stuff, mainly images, especially if you try to move a file or two. Case in point: Smart Folder; Find many many images; move one file or more out of the searching area and the Finder panics when it tries to refresh. Can't understand why. (No Haxies running just for reference)

Finder still hates "Show thumbnails" for the Desktop. (Folders are fine. The actual desktop is the one that hates them.) Move files around to other folders or disks and crash.

Why can't the Finder remember the folders that were last left opened when it crashes? That's all I ask. Finder crashing wouldn't be as annoying if I didn't have to reopen the 5 folders I had opened before it crashed. The Finder should record the opened folders as soon as they are opened so it can make crashing less annoying. Also, would be nice if opened Smart Folders could reopen as well. And if unmounted folders wouldn't open to the Home directory if the disk isn't mounted. (Why should it try and open folders that don't exist. I end up with a bunch of differently sized Home folders opened. Stupid.)

Dashboard is buggy. Really buggy. 'Nuff said.

I'll have more as I find them.

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
is it no longer possible to re-order startup items?
(or am i missing something)

in panther, i dragged them about, in tiger they won't budge...
I'm not sure if this is true, but could startup items be launched concurrently and not successively? If so, being able to reorder them would imply they are launched successively and that could lead to people perceiving bugs where they do not exist.
Genius. You know who.

iLiterate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 03:18 AM

My Rant.

I have actually adopted Apple's philosophy to think different. Unlike the rest of the PC world and most of the Mac world, I actually think that when I spend a couple of grand on hardware and upgrade to the most advanced OS in the history of the world I expect it to work and work flawlessly. And if there are bugs they should be the ants that have crawled into my box while it sat on my porch before getting home from work. I had hopes of impressing my PC friends with a demo of the most advanced OS in the history of the world but I dare not bring them over lest I be humiliated. I think it would be easier to list what does work than to list all the things that don't on this state of the art OS. Here's a short list.

Running a G5 iMac 1.8ghz with 2 gig of ram. Did a regular upgrade install.

Where is the speed increase? Filemaker Pro 7 and Appleworks open so slow I had to look to see if I was on my old G4 400. Safari unexpectedly quits, Route 66 (mapping software) unexpectively quits, could not print the pdf, epson scan unexpectedly quit after the scan, etc... My dock disappeared and when I tried to modify the settings in the system preferences via the apple menu it would not let me modify the settings. I had to open utilities via a spotlight search to do a disk permissions verify and repair. Didn't help. After installing, I had the fan rev up to such annoying levels I had to shut down the computer. Finally reinstalled. Granted, some third party software exibits problems but it seems almost every application I opened whether it be Apple or third party had some issue.

Window resizing is the only improvement I can detect. Both speed and smoothness.

You would think that in the year 2005 we would not be making excuses for Apple's drop in standards. If the standard is to except bugs in all new OS releases, then it seems fair that Apple expect to be paid with counterfeit bills. That way be both get an attractive package that appears to be valuable on the outside but upon closer observation we both essentially have useless products that don't work in real world situations.

If this OS was commissioned to be placed in a nuclear power plant, I'm betting that it would be bug free upon it's release. The $9.95 upgrade price was too much!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2005, 03:28 AM

OK, time to get serious:
1. Backup all your data with Apple Software Restore (a part of DiskUtility.app) to an external FW disk
2. Disconnect the FW disk
3. Boot from the Tiger DVD
4. Erase your entire HD
5. Install a clean Tiger
6. Reboot from the Tiger partition, start setting preferences to what you prefer
7. Reconnect the FW disk and start copying back your documents, music, movies, mail, etc.
8. Copy back your third-party apps one by one; test each one first; only continue with the next app if no problems arise
9. Re-install third-party apps that require installers; test each installed app first; only continue with the next installer if no problems arise
10. Set app preferences again. In those cases where it's a real pain to do it by hand, find the pref file in the backup of your ~/Library/Preference/ folder and copy it over

If you follow these steps and you you still have the problems you just described, I'll eat my hat. And then I'll go to a hat store and eat their entire stock.

A 1.8GHz G5 iMac with 2GB RAM should run Tiger like a champ. If it doesn't, it's either broken hardware or a messed up install. Most always, it's the latter.

Let us know if you need any more help and tell us how it worked out when you're done and running a happy Mac again.

danny_gasperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 07:28 AM

Here's yet another (albeit subtle) bug:

1. Open Dock Preferences
2. Set Dock Size to Minimum
3. Set Magnification to Maximum
4. Open an application, and minimise the apps window
5. move the mouse cursor and scroll over the minimised window in the dock
6. Notice the horribly pixelated "application badge" on the minimised windo icon?! - Urgh!!!

The degree of pixelation is inversely proportional to the "Dock Size" slider position in the dock preferences.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 08:22 AM

here's one (not the end of the world, but annoying);

unlike panther,
takes a long time for my kensington bluetooth mouse to connect to my powerbook.
anyone else having bluetooth-related delays??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 9, 2005, 11:41 AM

TD Canada Trust's EasyWeb does not work with Safari 2.0 consistently.

It usually worked with Safari 1.2, but rarely works with Safari 2.0. IE 5.2.3 always works (although TD's last supported version for OS X is 5.0.2, which is no longer available).

So, I mentioned to them that all Macs now ship with Tiger and thus, Safari 2.0, and that IE is no longer included.

acheron24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 11:56 AM

Menu bar items Reboot, Shutdown and Log Out do not work anymore. I have use Disk Utility, Cocktail to no avail. I installed Tiger as update, no clean install. Since I cannot afford the down time (and I hate to have to import my mail time and tiem again) I think I'll stick to the terminal reboot for a while.
This one also happened to me with Panther, either upgrading as well as with clean install.

Any ideas about why this occured?

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 03:03 PM

Even though I'm not having anywhere near the amount of problems everyone else is having, I think tonight or tomorrow I will do a clean install on both my iMac and mini just to see if it changes anything. (My brother, the iMac, did tell me he was having problems the other day. And he plays WoW all the time. So I better do a clean install.)

We'll see.

fhoubi
Senior User
May 9, 2005, 05:18 PM

Tiger scks. Cd-Burning from within Finder (iBook G3 700) is hilarious.

1) Empty CD shows up down below in favourites, not above as an another drive
2) Dragging files results in creating aliases by default, not copying as 10.3 and before
3) burned 3 cd's, 2 failures. Had NONE evar before... (same Verbatim 48x's as usual)

Time to format & restore to 10.3.7 and big finger to Apple...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 09:40 PM

This might have been mentioned in the previous 9 pages, but I don't have time to read em all.

In Preview I can't use the hand tool anymore unless i have a selection made... that really pisses me off. and the arrow keys wont scroll the picture either, thus forcing you to click the scroll bar arrows or drag the scroll bar itself. i hate that. I want my hand tool back :'(

Luckily I have an entire hard drive backup of my 10.3.9 install, apps and all. So i will be using the old version of Preview until this issue is fixed.

iLiterate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 10:02 PM

OK, time to get serious:
1. Backup all your data with Apple Software Restore (a part of DiskUtility.app) to an external FW disk
2. Disconnect the FW disk
3. Boot from the Tiger DVD
4. Erase your entire HD
5. Install a clean Tiger
6. Reboot from the Tiger partition, start setting preferences to what you prefer
7. Reconnect the FW disk and start copying back your documents, music, movies, mail, etc.
8. Copy back your third-party apps one by one; test each one first; only continue with the next app if no problems arise
9. Re-install third-party apps that require installers; test each installed app first; only continue with the next installer if no problems arise
10. Set app preferences again. In those cases where it's a real pain to do it by hand, find the pref file in the backup of your ~/Library/Preference/ folder and copy it over

Correct me if I'm wrong but if all I have is an upgrade version of Tiger then I have to reinstall Panther after I reformat and then install Tiger and then restore third party software.

That was essentially the whole point of my rant. Why do we have to spend such an extrordinary amount of time with a product that was originally designed to save time, so that we can do a little more work for another short period of time before we start the same process all over again? We are truly an insane group of people.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
1) Empty CD shows up down below in favourites, not above as an another drive
Yeah, it seems weird. But apparently they treat unburned CD's/DVD's as folders first. Weird.

Also, these things are buggy. I quit iTunes and my CD (Which I had copied files to) ejected and the "CD" turned into a burned folder on the desktop. I reinserted the CD hoping to recapture it, but it ended up putting the CD on the desktop along with what used to be the CD. Geeze. Why the hell did it eject in the first place? iTunes had nothing to do with it! It was opened with the Finder! Not iTunes! Grr. Annoying.

2) Dragging files results in creating aliases by default, not copying as 10.3 and before
Apparently the aliases act as live updating versions of the files you "copy" to the disc. For instance, if you create a Burnable folder and save it with all these "aliases", it will update (And burn the correct) file to the disc on the next burn. Actually very convenient if you make a lot of backups. Kinda gets the thumbs up from me. But should have been an option to alias on modifier press instead of making a copy on modifier press. i.e. switch it.

Also, goddammit! The goddamn burned CD doesn't remember custom goddamn folder options! I had a cool CD full of video files with a custom background and icon sizes all freaking set up and it burned WITHOUT THE FOLDER OPTIONS! Panther ALWAYS PRESERVED THE DAMN FOLDER/CD! What the HELL? This is my first "ruined" disc! GOD DAMMIT!

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2005, 11:05 PM

Just got a new iMac today, with Tiger pre-installed, and I can't get .mpkg installers to run! They simply open as the folders that they actually are. Possibly related, I installed Stuffit Expander 9.02 - did it destroy my ability to run .mpkg installers? I need help quick! Thanks y'all.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 12:31 AM

Finder also likes to jump things around when in list view and sorted by size. I click an item and it jumps across the list then back, but with a new file size. Or it jumps out of order. It's way too damn jumpy!

Gotta do that reinstall tomorrow. I just spent the better part of the night getting readty to backup. So tomorrow it'll be good to go. Hopefully it'll solve.. something at least.

euphras
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 03:54 AM

Here�s a new one: Tiger messed up booting in single-user and verbose mode, definetly unable to do so. Can anyone test this and confirm?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Kate
Senior User
May 10, 2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by euphras
Here�s a new one: Tiger messed up booting in single-user and verbose mode, definetly unable to do so. Can anyone test this and confirm?

Must have been the magic of your creative crows. It works as advertised.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 08:10 AM

Here's my long(ish) list of whinges/bug reports/feature requests as submitted to Apple.

1 Crash Reporting
1.1 If you are offline when a crash occurs, there is no easy way to save your reports (i.e. with the description of what you were doing etc at the time of the crash) as a draft so that you can send them once you are back online. The result is that many crash reports will potentially get lost owing to a restart or logout which causes the loss of the crash report window(s). 01 May 05 Feature request Annoyance
1.2 The windows for crash reports can not be accessed, other than by Expos?� or tunnelling down through the numerous foreground windows, if they are inadvertently put into the background. There should be some other means of accessing these windows (and any other dialogues etc that behave in the same way) - logically I would say this should be done via the Finder dock menu icon or Window item, even if these windows don't strictly speaking belong to the Finder itself. 01 May 05 Minor issue Annoyance

2 Dashboard
2.1 When clicking Widgets in the region that would typically be occupied by the menubar you get "click-through" so that e.g. the pop-up menu for Date/Time or FUS appears floating over the widget. 01 May 05 Annoyance
2.2 There is no feedback that a copy action has proved successful in e.g the Stickies widgets. 01 May 05 Moderate issue
2.3 It would be nice for there to be grid to fit the widgets to so that e.g. multiple copies of the World clock could be nicely aligned. 01 May 05 Feature request
2.4 It might be nice if there was an auto-distribute feature to optimise the screen use of all widgets. 01 May 05 Feature request

3 Dictionary
3.1 It's US English only when I am explicitly using a British system. 01 May 05 Language specific issue HUGELY ANNOYING!!!
3.2 Defaults to US English rather than British English pronunciation in its Preferences even though I'm explicitly using British English as the system language. This would be moot if a British dictionary had been included in the first place. 01 May 05 Language specific issue Annoyance

4 Finder
4.1 When waking from sleep, the Finder or other applications sometimes come to the front when it was hidden or in the background prior to sleep. 01 May 05 Annoyance
4.2 If your default Window format is column view with non-Apple defined column widths, upon first launch of the Finder, the first window that opens reverts back to the Apple defined column widths (STILL - this has been an annoying bug since OS X 10.0!) 01 May 05 HUGELY ANNOYING!!!
4.3 It would be much better if, instead of defining the column width(s) for the window(s), you simply defined the number of columns you always wanted to see and these resized to always fit the width of the window, regardless of the size of the sidebar etc. This would overcome the annoying habit of many windows opening with columns cut in two with their contents obscured etc. and situations where the varying appearance of the sidebar caused columns to be "sliced" to less than there desired width. 01 May 05 Feature request HUGELY ANNOYING!!!
4.4 Choosing a font size of 10 or 13 or 15 pt for the Desktop leads to ridiculous spacing for the icons on it. 01 May 05 Minor issue Annoyance
4.5 Finder slideshow: I have a folder containing 1000+ images - a mix of jpegs, pngs, gifs and tiffs - but when I select all of them and perform a slideshow (from the contextual menu item), only the first 100 are shown. I would expect them all to be displayed (the index sheet would need to spread to many pages though). 02 May 05 Feature request Annoyance

5 Full Keyboard Access
5.1 Full Keyboard Access tabbing doesn't appear to work in System Preferences - no focus ring is evident at all. The only indication that anything is happening is when the search field eventually gets focus (which is apparent due to the appearance of the text input cursor). 01 May 05 Serious issue HUGELY ANNOYING!!!
5.2 See 13.2 wrt to absence of listing of Spacebar as means of selecting toolbar items (why not enter/return?) in Keyboard and Mouse preferences. 01 May 05 Annoyance Inconsistent GUI issue

6 Help
6.1 There is no description of "secure virtual memory" in the help files. 01 May 05 Minor issue
6.2 When clicking the ? icon in e.g. a Sys Prefs window, I would expect that the resultant help window would provide a description listing all the features/contents of that window with images to help visualise those descriptions rather than providing a partial description of vaguely related topics! 01 May 05 Feature request Annoyance

7 Login
7.1 Pressing shift at login now disables user and OS 9 fonts, which is sensible I guess, but there isn't any way to reactivate them (trying to do so using Font Book simply doesn't work) other than by logging out and back in again. There should be some means of separating out these two functions of a "safe" login and one where the login items are prevented from opening. Combining both functions is irritating when your desire was simply to stop your login items from launching to save some time. 01 May 05 Potentially serious issue Annoyance
7.2 Even though it is selected to do so in my user account Login Items, Terminal is not hiding upon login. 01 May 05 Annoyance Minor issue

8 Mail
8.1 The new toolbar icons are largely awful - mainly because there is not enough visual distinction to show e.g. the read/unread status of a message which was blindingly obvious in earlier versions of OS X. 01 May 05 Regression from Panther Annoyance
8.2 In the manner of OmniWeb 5.x and its RSS feeds in its Dock menu, the Mail Dock menu could include a list of all mailboxes (with unread content indicated) - the Dock icon should have a preference to show the total unread content (inbox plus all other mailboxes) as well as the current setting for the inbox only. 01 May 05 Feature request
8.3 There isn't any way to see how many messages there are in an individual mailbox, how much space they are occupying etc other than for the online account mailboxes. Performing a Get Info action on any "On Your Mac" or Smart mailbox does not present the info for that mailbox and instead shows you the info for the default account (e.g. .Mac). There needs to be a "Status Bar" option that will show you the info (total number of messages/total unread/size of mailbox contents/etc) for the selected mailbox at all times and Get Info should show you the info for the selected Mailbox and not just the default account. 01 May 05 Annoyance Feature request
8.4 The "New Smart Mailbox folder..." option is not available in the contextual menu for the sidebar - you can only access it from the Mailbox menu in the menubar. It should be present in both! 01 May 05 Minor issue Feature request
8.5 .Mac e-mail aliases should be editable from within the application itself instead of having to go online - also do they gain their colours that have been associated to them in the .Mac mail preferences online? 01 May 05 Feature request

9 Preview
9.1 "Zoom to selection" when nothing is actually selected leads to a blanking of the window. Once this occurs, the contents can't be recovered by e.g. a command-z input and the only way to see them again is by closing and then re-opening the document. This is potentially serious if someone accidentally saves the document when in this state prior to closing and re-opening the document. 01 May 05 Potentially serious issue HUGELY ANNOYING!!!
9.2 No way to play animated gifs anymore? 01 May 05 Regression from Panther Annoyance

10 Printing
10.1 Print to PDF of e.g. a website still generates documents in which the sites links are not click-able 01 May 05 Feature request

11 QT
11.1 There ought to be an option to auto-show e.g the A/V controls on opening a media file, similar to the info window in Graphic Converter 01 May 05 Feature request
11.2 With the A/V Controls panel also open, there is no visual indication at all in the media window to show when it is in the background - even the Traffic lights indicate that the window is in front and don't go dim as they should do. This makes it far, far too easy to e.g. close the A/V Controls panel by mistake with a com-w keyboard input as the only indication that this panel is in front is the slightly different shading given to the titlebar - in the case of this A/V control window, the traffic lights remain dimmed even when the window *is* in front! This is totally inconsitent and absurd! 01 May 05 Inconsistent GUI issue Serious issue

Edit: The traffic light widgets of the media window do dim when it is made to go to the background by the Movie Info window and from that point on they will also dim when switching between it and the A/V Controls window. However this only works if you first focus on the Movie Info window.
11.3 It is totally ridiculous that QT doesn't offer full screen viewing unless you have purchased QT pro - this just encourages the use of competing products such as Real Player that are capable of doing this with QT media for free! It is arguable that you should be charging for the editing features or anything in QT Pro for the Mac at all considering that people have already spent several hundred pounds on their hardware and OS software. 01 May 05 HUGELY ANNOYING!!! Feature request
11.4 Having to pay full price for an upgrade to QT Pro when you have already paid for a prior version(s) is also a disgusting extra financial burden on your users. 01 May 05 HUGELY ANNOYING!!! Feature request

12 Spotlight
12.1 There isn't any way to view any open Spotlight windows other than by clicking the Spotlight icon or by using Expos?�. Logically, I would expect some way of accessing the Spotlight windows via e.g the Finder Dock menu? 01 May 05 Feature request Annoyance
12.2 When indexing an external FireWire hard drive for the first time it would often appear that the process had finished (pulsing dot would disappear and, when the magnifying glass icon was then clicked, the normal Spotlight search field would appear. A few moments later, the pulsing dot would reappear and when clicked, the progress bar for indexing had reappeared indicating several minutes left. This happened a number of times until the external volume had indeed finally been fully indexed. 01 May 05 Moderate issue
12.3 The image slideshows from a spotlight pane do not allow you to play animated gifs - should be able to. 01 May 05 Feature request

13 Sys Prefs
13.1 Accounts - can't drag and drop to set the order of items in the Login Items pane. 01 May 05 Annoyance Regression from Panther
13.2 Mouse and Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts>Full Keyboard Access shortcuts - there is no indication that it is spacebar that you use to select the highlighted item in e.g. toolbars. Strictly speaking I would expect pressing enter or return to select a highlighted item (which does work for menubar items selected by FKA!). 01 May 05 Inconsistent GUI issue Feature request
13.3 Search - Searching for "colour" yields zero results when sensibly it should bring up the displays "Color" tab etc. Even better would be if you could actually spell this correctly for British English users in the first place. 01 May 05 Language specific issue HUGELY ANNOYING!!!
13.4 Toolbar - There should still be a way to add favourites to the toolbar for fast switching between different sets of prefs. 01 May 05 Regression from Panther Annoyance

JLL
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
5 Full Keyboard Access
5.1 Full Keyboard Access tabbing doesn't appear to work in System Preferences - no focus ring is evident at all. The only indication that anything is happening is when the search field eventually gets focus (which is apparent due to the appearance of the text input cursor).

No problem here: http://lunddal.dk/misc/sysprefs.png

Originally Posted by JKT
[5.2 See 13.2 wrt to absence of listing of Spacebar as means of selecting toolbar items (why not enter/return?) in Keyboard and Mouse preferences.

13.2 Mouse and Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts>Full Keyboard Access shortcuts - there is no indication that it is spacebar that you use to select the highlighted item in e.g. toolbars. Strictly speaking I would expect pressing enter or return to select a highlighted item (which does work for menubar items selected by FKA!).
Enter/Return selects the default button if there is one (read: dialogs). Space has been used for selected highlighted items since FKA appeared in Mac OS X.

Originally Posted by JKT
8.1 The new toolbar icons are largely awful - mainly because there is not enough visual distinction to show e.g. the read/unread status of a message which was blindingly obvious in earlier versions of OS X.
What does toolbar icons/buttons have to do with the status widget for mails? Btw. you can choose to have unread mails shown in bold now.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

crazymonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 11:02 AM

Authenticated SMTP over IPv6 stopped working in Mail2.

It sends total garbage to the SMTP server instead of valid SMTP commands.

fhoubi
Senior User
May 10, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
But apparently they treat unburned CD's/DVD's as folders first. ... Apparently the aliases act as live updating versions of the files you "copy" to the disc.
Thx for explaining Jasoco. It now makes somewhat sense. But still my burnrate is shitty, 3 failures out of 5 now... (and going down from 8x to 4x ...) very disappointing.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 06:14 PM

Thx for explaining Jasoco. It now makes somewhat sense. But still my burnrate is shitty, 3 failures out of 5 now... (and going down from 8x to 4x ...) very disappointing.
Weird. I have never had a failed burn on any of my Combo Drive Macs. (iMac G4, iBook G3, mini 1.25) And aside from that stupid removal of the CD remembering the settings of the folder, it worked fine. (And I put all that work into a custom background and hiding it in a blank iconed folder and this is how it repays me? Damn you, Apple! FIX IT!!)

JKT
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
I'll be jiggered, it is now working for me as well. If you note the dates I wrote that list, it wasn't long after receiving Tiger and I've had a few days now to bed the system down - in other words, I've come across and solved incompatibilities with the few bits of third party hacks I was using. It looks like one of those solutions has cured this issue for me too.
Originally Posted by JLL
Enter/Return selects the default button if there is one (read: dialogs). Space has been used for selected highlighted items since FKA appeared in Mac OS X.
My main point was that, in the keyboard shortcuts listing for FKA, nowhere does it state that spacebar is the key to use to select highlighted items (and nor can you edit this shortcut which is another negative). It also seems inconsistent to have return/enter work in some instances and not in others - it should work for them all.
What does toolbar icons/buttons have to do with the status widget for mails? Btw. you can choose to have unread mails shown in bold now.
Because I read mails in a separate window (I do not use the split pane view), and it isn't very obvious what the status of that message is from the toolbar widgets for read/unread as they are no longer as visually distinctive - especially if you use the icons only view - whereas beforehand it was blindingly obvious (and before you say it - yes I do often revert the state of my messages to unread, specifically when I have only had time to partially read them).

JLL
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
My main point was that, in the keyboard shortcuts listing for FKA, nowhere does it state that spacebar is the key to use to select highlighted items (and nor can you edit this shortcut which is another negative). It also seems inconsistent to have return/enter work in some instances and not in others - it should work for them all.
If it should be consistent return/enter shouldn't work at all. How else would you solve the situation mentioned earlier? Space for selecting the highlighted item and return to select the default button.
JLL

JayJay1974
May 12, 2005, 04:00 AM

This is not really a bug, more of a lack of attention to detail.

Burn Folders are slightly different to smart folders, see the 2 pixel difference?

I think it would be better if smart folders resembled burn folders such as:

This way, smart folders would be more visibly different from "regular" finder windows.

JayJay1974

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 04:39 AM

Tiger's Software Update really acting up

I updated Tiger over a clean and two day old 10.3.9 install and now SU seems to have missed the fact that I'm on Tiger and not on Panther anymore. I noticed SU didn't show iTunes 4.8, so I manually downloaded and installed it. It runs fine. The receipt for iTunes 4.8 shows up in the receipt folder, but SU claims it has never been installed. SU believes the last update done was 10.3.9's Java update on April 22. It doesn't mention the Tiger update or the iTunes update which have ran in the meantime.

This morning I noticed SU isn't showing the DVD 4.6 update. I downloaded it manually and it runs fine, even the receipt is in the receipt folder, but still, SU doesn't know about it.

I guess SU still thinks I'm on 10.3.9 and has no idea about Tiger and thus, doesn't want to install iTunes 4.8 or DVD 4.6. Are those really Tiger-only updates? It looks like SU is seriously messed up in Tiger. Do I really have to backup everything and do a clean Tiger install now just to get this POS to run normally?

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 05:08 AM

Yeah, me neither. I had to install the iTunes update myself and haven't seen hide nor hair of DVD player.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 12, 2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
If it should be consistent return/enter shouldn't work at all. How else would you solve the situation mentioned earlier? Space for selecting the highlighted item and return to select the default button.
Good point - I guess I haven't used FKA enough yet to realise this.

Anyway, another issue (not with FKA) I'm experiencing:

1. Open a finder window in icon view with *lots* of files in it - in my case a couple of folders with 1000+ files (an images folder with 1 337 files in it and one of my mailbox folders with 2 406 files in it).

2. Try control/right clicking the uppermost icons - you will get the expected contextual menu for a file.

3. Scroll to the bottom of the window and repeat - instead of the same contextual menu for a file, you will get the contextual menu for the enclosing folder. The only way to access the correct contextual menu for these files is via the action toolbar item.

For me, this happens for all icons after the 1 026th file in the images folder and after the 1 456th file in the mailbox. In some instances, I cannot select some of these latter icons at all.

FWIW:

Images window = Metal window, Icon view (4 icons per row), 128x128, Text size: 11, Label position: Bottom, Show Item Info, Show Preview, Keep arranged by Name, Background: White.

Mailbox window = Metal window, Icon view (4 icons per row), 32x32, Text size: 11, Label position: bottom, Show item info, Show preview, Keep arranged by Name, Background: White.

Anyone else see this?

JLL
Professional Poster
May 12, 2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Tiger's Software Update really acting up

I updated Tiger over a clean and two day old 10.3.9 install and now SU seems to have missed the fact that I'm on Tiger and not on Panther anymore. I noticed SU didn't show iTunes 4.8, so I manually downloaded and installed it. It runs fine. The receipt for iTunes 4.8 shows up in the receipt folder, but SU claims it has never been installed. SU believes the last update done was 10.3.9's Java update on April 22. It doesn't mention the Tiger update or the iTunes update which have ran in the meantime.

This morning I noticed SU isn't showing the DVD 4.6 update. I downloaded it manually and it runs fine, even the receipt is in the receipt folder, but still, SU doesn't know about it.

I guess SU still thinks I'm on 10.3.9 and has no idea about Tiger and thus, doesn't want to install iTunes 4.8 or DVD 4.6. Are those really Tiger-only updates? It looks like SU is seriously messed up in Tiger. Do I really have to backup everything and do a clean Tiger install now just to get this POS to run normally?
Neither iTunes 4.8 or DVD Player 4.6 has been released through SU yet - there's nothing wrong with your Mac.
JLL

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by JLL
Neither iTunes 4.8 or DVD Player 4.6 has been released through SU yet
Why not?

Since when are there SU updates and non-SU updates for stuff we have installed anyway?

JLL
Professional Poster
May 12, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Why not?
Only Apple knows
JLL

randallina2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 02:19 AM

itunes widget complaints. I've been using it for the last few nights as I'm getting to know the OS and damn! What's not to like? It's nothing more or less than it is. I'm really loving the weather widgit with all my favorite cities displayed. I also like moving my icons around and setting them where I want them. It really is like a second desktop in a way except that you have to click out of it to get to get back to the finder or app. Along this line of thinking, can you make a widget that opens the finder or the desktop?

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 02:20 AM

Finder:
Go to a directory with a ton of images. Select them all, control click (right click) then click slide show. For me, most of the time, the screen tries to fade to black with the slide show, but gets stuck on black. I have to force restart... A huge bummer... When this actually works, I need new underwear every time.

R

randallina2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 02:30 AM

mine didn't lock up but it was hilarious, all the pics were tiny, tiny thumbnails.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2005, 04:40 AM

I notice that when I right click and choose "open with" it lists the applications twice. Two quicktime, two safari etc. Anyone else got this?
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 04:46 AM

Do you have a Backup HD? Mounted? Does it have apps on it?

That's probably it.

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by iLiterate
My Rant.

I have actually adopted Apple's philosophy to think different. Unlike the rest of the PC world and most of the Mac world, I actually think that when I spend a couple of grand on hardware and upgrade to the most advanced OS in the history of the world I expect it to work and work flawlessly. And if there are bugs they should be the ants that have crawled into my box while it sat on my porch before getting home from work. I had hopes of impressing my PC friends with a demo of the most advanced OS in the history of the world but I dare not bring them over lest I be humiliated. I think it would be easier to list what does work than to list all the things that don't on this state of the art OS. Here's a short list.

Running a G5 iMac 1.8ghz with 2 gig of ram. Did a regular upgrade install.

--- snip ---

Window resizing is the only improvement I can detect. Both speed and smoothness.

You would think that in the year 2005 we would not be making excuses for Apple's drop in standards. If the standard is to except bugs in all new OS releases, then it seems fair that Apple expect to be paid with counterfeit bills. That way be both get an attractive package that appears to be valuable on the outside but upon closer observation we both essentially have useless products that don't work in real world situations.

If this OS was commissioned to be placed in a nuclear power plant, I'm betting that it would be bug free upon it's release. The $9.95 upgrade price was too much!
I imagine most of your problems would be solved by a erase and install instead of a upgrade.

I did a erase and install and 10.4 works perfectly for me.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 06:12 PM

I wonder if my problem is because I only have 256 MB RAM. I have a 1.8 GH G5 though... One would think that this would do the trick...

R

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 11:09 PM

One would think. But one would be wrong. You need at least 512 to be usable. Go for as much as humanly possible.

BasiaMille
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by gvmelbrty
Bug (reported to Apple):

When booting, waking from sleep or upon plug-in, USB barcode scanners, such as the cheapie CueCat, cause a dialog to pop-up asking you to identify an "extra" keyboard.

(This issue was not present on any 10.3.x version)

-t
I've encountered the same problem with my CueCat and Tiger. Who exactly is responsible for updating, Apple or CueCat's manufacturer?

Hoping this gets resolved,

CS

madave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 10:52 AM

HELP!!!

I'm really, really screwed right now! I have a number of projects with files that I regularly search by key prefix codes in their names (example: "or2_" before the project name). It is also key to get the dates they were last modified for a number of reasons and be able to sort by that...

Spotlight doesn't see them at all -- and I'm only working on my own internal drive!

I've tried the following helpful hint from Oreo...

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
You can be sure whether or not Spotlight indexes a certain drive if you open the Terminal as admin and type.
sudo -s ENTER
--> enter the admin's (!) password
mdutil -s /Volumes/[name of volume] ENTER

To enable or disable indexing manually, enter

mdutil -i on /Volume/[name of volume]

(Obviously, replace on with off if you want to disable indexing.) You can double-check by entering mdutil -s /Volume/[name of volume]
But I get this result from the terminal when typing, "mdutil -i on /Volumes/mac" (then [return], of course) (also, "mac" is the name of my HD):

/Volume/mac:
Could not set indexing status for volume.

And I get this result from the terminal when typing, "mdutil -s /Volumes/mac" (then [return], of course):

Error: Could not get indexing status for this volume
HD:
Error: Could not get indexing status for this volume

I also tried someone else's suggestion to do it globally with /Volumes instead and while it says it can set the indexing, it still gives the same error on trying to check the status.

What's going on???

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 04:33 PM

Is the HD you're trying to index the Boot drive? If so, it's just "/", not "/volumes/mac". The boot drive is only known as "/".

Forum Links
Forum Rules