Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help! DP 1.8 is now a SP 1.8

Help! DP 1.8 is now a SP 1.8
tyman_nd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 12:20 AM

OK, so here is the deal. This evening I was adding a sub to my HT setup and something happened and there were a few sparks. OK, every thing there survived. But, I have an audio cable run that connects my G5 to the setup, never thought to disconect it. When I came back to my mac it the fans were spinning extra fast and the computer wouldn't wake. I rebooted it and now the system profiler only reports 1 CPU and the analog audio doesn't work(haven't tried the optical out yet). The rest of the system seems fine. I was wonder if there would be suggestions out there about getting this fixed, how to go about it, or just using it as is and adding a USB or PCI audio card.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 01:03 AM

care to elaborate?

I was adding a sub, yada yada yada, there were a few sparks...

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

tyman_nd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 01:45 AM

I had a 60 cycle hum from the sub when it was connected to the recever. I connected a wire to the back of the recever and the sub(was a good idea at the time). When I turned the power strip on, the wire connected to the back pannel of the sub started sparking and smoking so I turned the swich off again. We have done this at work with an old phograph and recever it worked fine there, but not in this case. I would consider myself lucky that I am able to still use my computer, but it is strange that it is working with only one CPU.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 02:11 AM

That is strange; sorry that happened to you. Do you have Apple Care? I'd say try a PMU reset, but I honestly don't think the probability of getting the system fully functional is that high.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 02:17 AM

What does CHUD tools and/or the Apple Hardware Test report?

tyman_nd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 03:30 AM

I tried a PMU reset and there was no change. The Apple Harware test reports only one CPU. I ran the extended tests and everything passed. I don't have Apple Care and I'm guessing a new logic board and CPU's could be expensive. As of right now I'm thinking of adding a PCI audio card and using it as it is, but I'm open to ideas.

OreoCookie
Dec 16, 2005, 06:26 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't take the chance. There are many parts of the computer which are very sensitive to even static electricity, RAM in particular.

If I were you, I would sell your current G5 on ebay (obviously mentioning the defects) and get another one. I did so with my three-year old iPod (20 GB) which was broken (the headphone jack was broken, moving the plug shorted the circuitry). It also sounds to me as if you were using a cheap power strip which was not (sufficiently) grounded. I would also suggest you get a power strip with surge protector (or for a few squids more a USV) to protect your equipment.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules