Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod parts on back order

ipod parts on back order
luckiesf1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 08:59 PM

I sent my customized 20gb ipod to Apple for servicing and they received it on December 11, 2003. My battery was not holding a charge and the screen showed a rainbow when sunlight shines on it. I called Apple last week to see what the deal was because it has been one and a half months since they received it. The guy at Apple Care told me that the parts needed are on back order and they have no idea when they will get them. Out of curisoity, I asked him what parts were they waiting for and he told me they are waiting for a bunch of parts and said something to the effect that i'll be getting a new ipod.
Apple has had my ipod for 6 weeks and I feel that it's getting ridiculous. Has anyone else here sent in their ipod for simillar problems or have waited this long for a repair?
12" 867 PB/1128MB RAM/60GB/SD/Airport Express/BT Mouse + Keyboard/40GB ipod.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2004, 07:16 PM

Yes
See my posts within:-
"Topic: what kind of ipod do you have, and why?'
I'm STILL waiting...........
.....They will eventually send you a 'new' or 'other ' ipod. Your original will be refurbished & sold with a years guarantee .....which if faulty should be returned to Apple who..
will eventually send you a 'new' or 'other ' ipod. Your original will be refurbished & sold with a years guarantee .....which if faulty should be returned to Apple who..
will eventually send you a 'new' or 'other ' ipod. Your original will be refurbished & sold with a years guarantee .....which if faulty should be returned to Apple who..
I'm considering the notion that there are only 200 ipods in existence which we are all 'sharing'

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 08:46 PM

The rainbow in the sun issue should be temporary, I took mine out of the sunlight for a few days and it got all better.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2004, 02:25 PM

I phoned Apple Kustomer Kare AGAIN today...Another 50 mins.
This time the story (A new one yet again!) is that I have no warranty because I bought the pod 'on' ebay!!!!
"If you bought it on an auction site it is second-hand sir, do you understand?"
I said "Yes that's because it is an Apple Reconditioned Product & the original owner no longer owns it, It has been returned to Apple to be reconditioned & marked & resold as such"
"Apple DON'T 'do' reconditioned products" was the reply.
?????? . What the ****?
"Well that would explain why the box bears the legend: 'Apple Reconditioned Product' " I replied
I was once again passed over to yet another assistant, who promised to 'phone back.
Two hours later, I ACTUALLY got a call but this time the excuse was that our proof of purchase was unsatisfactory.
I explained that buying on ebay using Paypal often (as in this case) means that your receipt is a Paypal invoice which of course is not hard copy.
"You know buying over that new-fangled Internet thingy" "Have you heard of it yet?"I inquired
I have now contacted the seller to arrange for a receipt in pdf which I intend to send to Apple KK.
Days>Weeks>Months>Years
I slowly set in aspic

Forum Links
Forum Rules