Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > sleep problem and broken power key

sleep problem and broken power key
Aperion0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 07:19 PM

I have two iBooks, both with serious problems.

One, a white duel usb g3, has a broken power key- while taking apart the case, I accidently pulled out the wire connecting the key and the speakers to the rest of the computer. I would just start it up with a usb keyboard's power key, but I can't seem to find anyone who has one, and I cant afford to buy one.

My other computer, a clamshell g3, seems to be stuck in sleep mode. Before the problem started, I spilled some soda on the joint, and now, the computer seems to think that the lid is closed when it's actually open- the computer immediately goes into sleep mode whenever the start-up sequence is finished, and whenever I try to wake it up. On rare occasions, it will stay awake for an hour or so, but these are completely unpredictable. I tried starting up from a cd, zapping the pram, even taking apart the case and carefully cleaning the joint, none of which had any effect.

What I'd like to know is: is there any way of completely disabling an ibook's sleep function (in os 9.1), and: is there any way of starting up an ibook without a power key (or of buying some sort of low-cost power key replacement)?
J>-/

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 10:44 PM

and this is why we recommend consumers to *not* take apart their laptops.

The power button on most of these things is just a normally open temporary switch. If you still have the cable you broke off, you can try to reconnect it to the top case kit, or to another switch.

With the clamshell... dude... why did you have a soda so close to the laptop to begin with? Take it apart and clean it out with alcohol.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Aperion0:
I have two iBooks, both with serious problems.

One, a white duel usb g3, has a broken power key- while taking apart the case, I accidently pulled out the wire connecting the key and the speakers to the rest of the computer. I would just start it up with a usb keyboard's power key, but I can't seem to find anyone who has one, and I cant afford to buy one.
Hmmh... I think the USB keyboard's power button won't start your iBook. You can use it to sleep and turn the power off, but not boot from 'cold'. I'm not 100% sure, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
Hmmh... I think the USB keyboard's power button won't start your iBook. You can use it to sleep and turn the power off, but not boot from 'cold'. I'm not 100% sure, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
This varies from computer to computer. I don't know which models it will work on though.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Aperion0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 03:23 PM

I do have an old apple serial keyboard with a power key- if I bought a serial to usb adapter, do you think that would work?
J>-/

Forum Links
Forum Rules