Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Video Artifacts PB17 revA OSX 10.3.4

Video Artifacts PB17 revA OSX 10.3.4
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2004, 10:18 PM

I have an Apple revA PB17 1 GB RAM which I regularly connect to an Apple 20" LCD display.

When I run this in dual monitor mode (external display as main monitor) and Mac word for os X with a document open on the PB display, I regularly see horrible display artifacts. It's so bad it essentially precludes me from using a dual monitor setup for word docs. I've tried lowering color depth, and it's present even at the lowest settings.

I used to think this was a word for os x problem except that I've occasionally seen this problem recently without connected to a dual display. I believe I've even experienced it in Safari.

I plan to install office 2004, but I am a little concerned this might reflect something hardware related with my machine. Anyone else have this problem?

bighead
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 10:54 AM

It's likely that something in the graphics system is pooched. Hope you have AppleCare for it, because that's probably a new logic board for you.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 12:50 AM

Have another 18 months of AppleCare. They've only seen this machine for 3 other problems, why not the motherboard, too?

Just upgraded to 10.3.5, will see if it fixes the problem.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 02:33 AM

What kind of artifacts?

Have you installed the latest Office X update? If not, try that.

Also confirm whether or not it only happens with Word X.

If you're moving to Office 2004 then hopefully it is fixed if there is indeed a problem.

Keep us updated.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 01:00 PM

Here's an update:

1) I applied the latest (fourth) word for os x update, which corrected the major scrolling problems in dual display mode. Thanks for the tip (I had to reinstall office OSX earlier, I had only applied 3 patches).

2) There are still some video artifacts that are application independent. I think the problem with word made me more likely to notice them. Not sure if they are OS-dependent or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules