Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Doom 3 -> Powerbook

Doom 3 -> Powerbook
b33faroni
Aug 4, 2005, 11:31 AM

I just bought a new Powerbook 12 incher and have been wanting to play Doom 3 for a while now. Is it possible for me to play it on my PB even though it is not a maxed out machine as far as processor and such have it. Its 1.5 processor with 512 mem, which will surely be upgraded to 1.25 before I play the game. Anyone have any experience to share? Thanks!

alimunnik
Aug 4, 2005, 12:02 PM

The 12" PB is far from ideal for playing doom 3. Processor too slow, insufficient video RAM, etc. You need at least a 2 GHz CPU and 128 VRAM to make it worthwhile.

b33faroni  (op)
Aug 4, 2005, 12:51 PM

Requirements are exactly what the Powerbook include though. I realize that that is a requirement and will not get much above low settings but I woudlnt be able to get smooth gameplay with settings turned to low?

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2005, 09:00 PM

You will get it to run, but Doom without shadows is not worth it imo.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 02:48 AM

Very few laptops, with the exception of the Alienware gaming laptop or the Dell Inspiron XPS2 laptops, are actually designed to run games...the two aforementioned are VERY beefy laptops, and the 12" can't hold a candle to one of them with regard to raw power.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Thain Esh Kelch
You will get it to run, but Doom without shadows is not worth it imo.
Doom 3 is barely worth it with the shadows. With the exception of the aural atmosphere and the shock/scare factor, the game itself is not particularly good - largely due to the extremely poor AI of the monsters. However, if the OP wants to get it, it plays fine on medium settings, no shadows (and they aren't necessary, just further eye candy, fwiw), and 640x480 or 800x600 on my 15" PowerBook (see sig). Try searching the games database at e.g. www.xlr8yourmac.com to see what people with 12" PB's are saying. I'd suspect that your graphics card could be too crippling to make it worthwhile, but your CPU etc should be OK.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by b33faroni
I just bought a new Powerbook 12 incher and have been wanting to play Doom 3 for a while now. Is it possible for me to play it on my PB even though it is not a maxed out machine as far as processor and such have it. Its 1.5 processor with 512 mem, which will surely be upgraded to 1.25 before I play the game. Anyone have any experience to share? Thanks!
Ah you guys crack me up, not to insult you but really laptops are not designed for gaming. It's like taking your sports car to a monser truck rally, you might be able to run the game but you probably won't find much enjoyment in it. As one of the other posters said you need an alien ware or dell xps but I'd take a desktop over both of them.

Edit...

don't forget motion blur on the 12inch LCD
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2005, 12:18 PM

Wow. I must have misunderstood the months of months of fun and excitement I've had playing World of Warcraft on my rev A 17" powerbook. Or is it only bleeding edge FPS that counts as "games" these days?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2005, 06:29 AM

---
( Last edited by RayX; May 20, 2006 at 06:17 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules