Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MacTracker Installation Problems

MacTracker Installation Problems
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2008, 07:35 PM

Hi all,

I just upgraded my MacTracker app and I'm getting some problems with the install. After I open the StuffIt file and drag it from the StuffIt window into my Applications folder, it keeps warning me with alerts such as "The Folder 'Icons' already exists in this location" or "The Folder 'Masks' already exists in this location." I've looked at my Applications folder and these folders are nowhere to be found. This is quite peculiar. Next, even if I go through the entire installation and let StuffIt put these folders in, when I run MacTracker, I'm alerted that needed resources cannot be found and the program quits.

Is this new version 5.0 a flaky upgrade or is there a fix to this problem?
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2008, 09:25 PM

MacTracker doesn't come in a StuffIt file - it's just an ordinary zip, assuming you downloaded it from here: http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/d...cker_5.0.1.zip

If you downloaded it with Safari, it should have auto-expanded the zip file after it downloaded, leaving the MacTracker app right in your Downloads folder. Otherwise, just let the zip file open with the default Archive Utility instead of StuffIt, and then drag the app from Downloads to the Applications folder. There is no installation procedure that you have to go through.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2008, 10:16 PM

NOPE!!! Something is not night!!!! I'm getting the same exact problem. It keeps going through the same junk--"The folder "Chimes" exist...", "The folder "Icons" exists..."

This is not working. Please help.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2008, 10:23 PM

Did you just let Archive Utility unzip the zip file, or are you continuing to use StuffIt? If the latter:

1. Click on the zip file

2. Choose "Get Info" from the File menu

3. Under "Open With", change the pop-up menu to Archive Utility (if you're using a version of OS X earlier than 10.5, it'll be called BOMArchiveHelper)

4. Click Change All... to stop StuffIt from opening zip files in the future

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2008, 10:49 PM

Thanks!!! That did the fix! Curious as to why, out of all my SIT files, this MacTracker SIT caused problems. Any thoughts as to why this SIT was so problematic?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2008, 10:50 PM

It wasn't a SIT file, it was a ZIP file. StuffIt was set to be the default application for ZIP files, and was screwing up the unpacking of yours for some reason - I have no idea why, except that StuffIt sucks. Don't use StuffIt for files like .zip, .tgz, and others that Archive Utility can handle. Just use it for .sit and .sitx and let better programs handle the rest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules