Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A new Star Trek movie is coming out. Do we care?

A new Star Trek movie is coming out. Do we care?
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 04:22 PM

I'm not really offering this question to people who don't like Star Trek; I know you guys don't care. (Feel free to throw some flames anyway though--it's a slow day.) I'm wondering if any current Trek fans care.

I was a big TNG fan in college. Stuck with it its entire run, including the dire last 2 seasons. I enthusiastically saw the Next Gen movies, even though they weren't that great (w/ the exception of First Contact). I am curious about the new one, but my ardor for Star Trek seems to have permanently dimmed some time over the last 3 years. I don't think it's just me; it feels like Star Trek is slowly beginning to trickle out of the public consciousness, and you don't hear people talk about being Trek fans the way you did even a couple years ago. (This despite the current series, Enterprise, actually being pretty decent.)

I have my theories as to why this is: dilution of the brand (too many shows!); Voyager sucking really, really hard; overshadowing competition (Star Wars, LotR, Matrix); and a general lack of anyone on the production side with a compelling vision of what Star Trek can be.

So I'll probably see this new film. It's being touted as the last one ("a generation's final voyage" or some such crap), some of the effects look cool, and a shot in the trailer makes me curious as to whether Spiner finally convinced Rick Berman to kill Data. But that's the extent of it; where once I would've felt anticipation, the best I can muster now is an idle curiosity. I wonder if I'm representative of other Trek fans out there, if there are any.

Discussion?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Yose
Senior User
Nov 26, 2002, 04:27 PM

Yes, I care.

1. It's the last Star Trek movie with this cast, maybe the last altogether.

2. Even numbered Star Trek movies always rock, this is 10; Should be good!

The script was floating around this place months and months ago
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2002, 04:30 PM

I want to see it!

My girlfriend refuses to watch it with me, so it'll be a guys' night out.

Vanquish
Nov 26, 2002, 04:32 PM

I'm not interested, but is this the 10th already ??

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2002, 04:38 PM

This next movie looks awesome, it is the new show that sucks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2002, 05:03 PM

I'm so old, I saw the REAL Star Trek when it was on T.V. in the sixties. (Kirk'd kick Piccard's @ss, any day of the week)

I have most of the first two seasons of said show memorized, line by line. I watched Next Gen. religiously for at least 2 seasons, and no, I couldn't care less about a new movie. I think the turnip has had all the blood squeezed out of it, long since.

Besides, I have a life, now.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 05:08 PM

i'm hoping for a good one...the trailer looked good (but then they usually do, don't they...). i rarely bother going out to the theatre for a movie but a trek film has to be seen first on a big screen. i just hope they haven't "tried too hard" to make it a big send off for this crew and spoiled it like they did the final tv episode.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 26, 2002, 05:24 PM

bah all of the TNG based movies sucked. in every one you have super captain man, and this supposidly badass new ship gets its ass kicked every single time.

voyager could have been cool if they didn't hire a fully female writing team. enterprise looks ok so far but even then it isbecoming weaker and weaker with every episode. damn estrogen and lack of testosterone.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2002, 05:31 PM

It looks good, I guess we will have to wait and see.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2002, 05:54 PM

Yes,

I plan on going to the theater to check it out, it does look good.
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

clubmedia.com
Banned
Nov 26, 2002, 06:06 PM

my uncle comes visits my house on the weekends and will watch star trek non stop. it is the most boring, lame, uninteresting show i have ever had to watch.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 06:11 PM

I am by no means a huge fan of Trek, but I do enjoy the scifi genre.

1) I think Enterprise is fairly good. It's kind of fun watching humans get their ass handed to them across the galaxy.

2) I'll go to watch Nemesis (the new movie), but I'm not overly enthusiastic about it. I think it will be weak. Mostly seeing it because frankly there is just no other compelling movie this holiday.

First Contact is my favorite Trek movie. But I've only seen maybe five of them.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by clubmedia.com:
it is the most boring, lame, uninteresting show i have ever had to watch.
Funny, that sums up this website as well:

http://www.clubmedia.com/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 06:41 PM

Star.. Whaaaa?

I thought the Two Towers was coming out soon.

clubmedia.com
Banned
Nov 26, 2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:

Funny, that sums up this website as well:

http://www.clubmedia.com/

good come back! i guess i don't find canadian humor funny. star trek sucks regardless. the only thing worse than the star trek shows are the dorks that are trekkies or whatever.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2002, 07:00 PM

I'll go.

I've been to every single Trek movie on opening night. It just seems blasphamy to miss this, perhaps final one.

I used to be really big ... but, as another poster so aptly put it, I now "have a life". :-)

I do enjoy Enterprise very much. It's an interesting concept. I likewise enjoyed Voyager which was a step back toward the original series. (Where you can't run crying to StarFleet each time you get a bloody nose.)

On the contrary I didn't enjoy The Next Generation as much as most folks did. (Although I did come to appreciate it.) It seemed far to sterile. Q always reminded me of "the great gazoo" on the Flintstones. "Gazoo ... where are you?" "Right here you big dumb dumb". You get the idea.

DS9 was fun ... but it wasn't trek.

Oddly ... I've met most of the cast from all of the series sans Voyager and the most personable have been from Voy & DS9 followed by TNG and lastly by TOS. (Shatner is wildly entertaining ... I met him first when I was 8 and again when I was like 27). Nimoy is great to listen too and DeForest kicked the bucket before I had the opportunity to catch up with him. The rest of the TOS cast is irritating at best, rude at worst or just an outright phoney. (I'll leave the names out to be polite.)

Oh well ... my 2 cents and far more than I planned to write ... sorry.

Yose
Senior User
Nov 26, 2002, 08:34 PM

Q always reminded me of "the great gazoo" on the Flintstones. "Gazoo ... where are you?" "Right here you big dumb dumb". You get the idea.
Hahahahahahahaa...

aaah.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 26, 2002, 08:36 PM

good come back! i guess i don't find canadian humor funny. star trek sucks regardless. the only thing worse than the star trek shows are the dorks that are trekkies or whatever.

Even worse are people who read threads on Star trek and make comments like they are real hot sh�t compared to a trekie.

Pfff, tell us something we don't know.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 10:06 PM

Trek died when Roddenberry did. End of story

The movie looks ok, nothing that hasn't really been covered before though... and I too cannot stand Enterprise, I think I have only watched about 2.4 shows

TTT.....bring it on!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2002, 10:12 PM

The only good Star Trek movie was the first one. Star Trek the Motion Picture. Neat plot and everything. The problem with all the rest was that as a move Star Trek has the chance to make an epic film, but rather decides to make a long episode out of it. There is no difference in my opinion of a Star Trek move and a double apisode in the series. Shame that.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 10:25 PM

This actually looks to be a good flick. If the cast is together for only one last time, the producers will make sure it's one hell of a movie.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

clubmedia.com
Banned
Nov 26, 2002, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:

Even worse are people who read threads on Star trek and make comments like they are real hot sh�t compared to a trekie.

Pfff, tell us something we don't know.
are you always such a filthy klingon? i never said i was hot **** over trekkies, in my opinion, they are dorks.

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 26, 2002, 11:00 PM

are you always such a filthy klingon? i never said i was hot **** over trekkies, in my opinion, they are dorks.
Trekies has one K

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by driven:

Oddly ... I've met most of the cast from all of the series sans Voyager and the most personable have been from Voy & DS9 followed by TNG and lastly by TOS. (Shatner is wildly entertaining ... I met him first when I was 8 and again when I was like 27). Nimoy is great to listen too and DeForest kicked the bucket before I had the opportunity to catch up with him. The rest of the TOS cast is irritating at best, rude at worst or just an outright phoney. (I'll leave the names out to be polite.)
I'd have to disagree; James Doohan (Scottie) is a hoot as a public speaker, and seems like a very nice guy. Granted, I didn't sit down and have coffee with the guy--but from what little interactions I have had, he seems cool.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 11:20 PM

On the subject matter of the thread, though:

I'm definitely going. Everything I've heard about it puts it on par with the good Original Crew movies (2 & 6). Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher) said the script kicked major butt, which a friend of mine in the Writer's Guild confirmed after reading it (I insisted that he not tell me anything so as to preserve the surprise).

I haven't really liked any of the TNG movies, with the possible exception of Generations. IMO, the Next-Gen ship was as much a character as any of the people, and destroying the ship killed a central character and the feel that the series had. It just wasn't the same.

Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to this last new TNG hurrah.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 11:21 PM

Trekies has one K
Hmm...most of the spellings I've seen of it have two k's in 'em.

beb
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 11:21 PM

I left Voyager for The West Wing. Now I'd like to have action figures of Martin Sheen, Allison Janey, John Spenser and the rest as well as the White House playset complete with oval office and press briefing room.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 11:52 PM

Live long and posper, fellow Trekies. </vulcan hand thingie>

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 27, 2002, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:

Hmm...most of the spellings I've seen of it have two k's in 'em.
Well it isn't a real word anyway so what the hell.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2002, 12:32 AM

Actually, it's in the Oxford Dictionary, and it's 2 "K's".

Finally, the lessons of Star Trek have had a profound effect on the generations involved in religious education. 1 out of every 3 Americans considers themselves a Trekker. The Oxford English Dictionary's only word for a group of fans is "Trekker." Mae Jemison, America's first Black-American Female astronaut attributes her interest in space to Lt. Uhura in the original series. In fact, many of our shuttle crew members believe Star Trek sparked their original interest in science.

http://www.notelrac.com/whuups.dir/u...r/trek_re.html

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2002, 12:54 AM

im not a fan, and really dont care about star trek(the new ones anyway). i liked the original series w/ kirk, spock, mccoy, scotty, et al.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2002, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Yose:
2. Even numbered Star Trek movies always rock, this is 10; Should be good!
That's exactly why I'm seeing it. It's funny how this is 100% true so far. I'm curious if Nemisis is going to be good or not. I really enjoyed First Contact.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Parvulesco
Nov 27, 2002, 01:12 AM

How do you say "pimply-faced loser" in Klingon?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2002, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Parvulesco:
Dunno; but I'd be more interested in learning how to say "Stereotyping jerk" so I could yell it in your face.
(Note the smiley -- I'm taking your comment with good humor, and encourage you to do likewise)

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 02:05 AM

I for one love the Trek franchise. Loved the original series and the movies, loved TNG too and all the movies. From DS9 onward, I was no longer a devoted watcher of Trek. Although Enterprise has rekindled my interest, I'm still not as devoted as I was before of never missing an episode, speculating abot what will be on next week or going to the book store to get the Star Trek Technical Manual.

Yeah, this is the final hoorah for the Trek franchise. I don't see any other avenue that Berman could pursue after Enterprise is over. Perhaps it will be geared to all movies. But even if they were to continue with movies, what are they going to write about? Each series certainly isn't going to get their own movie. Perhaps in a last ditch desperation effort, they can combine, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, make a final movie and risk ending the legacy on a sour note. One thing you'll see I think is after all's said and done, you'll have DVD's available of all the episodes for every series.

The previews look awesome for Nemisys. But solely basing it on the previews, I think that Nemisys could be ended with a "to be continued" or something similar. And then there will be a final movie. But then again, they are dubbing this to be the final voyage. From what we know so far, you're starting to see some closure. Riker and Troi apparently get married, Data risks being taken offline for good, and as for the rest of the cast, who knows.

I'll be ready on opening day.

edit: Another quick observation is that it seems that Nemisys is somewhat following the style of Wrath of Khan. The enemy is defeated, but someone must sacrifice their life to defeat the foe. Will Data be making this sacrifice?
F = ma

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2002, 03:54 AM

I'd have to disagree; James Doohan (Scottie) is a hoot as a public speaker, and seems like a very nice guy. Granted, I didn't sit down and have coffee with the guy--but from what little interactions I have had, he seems cool.
When did you see him?
He seemed like a bitter old man by the time I got to him (somewhere around 1995 or 96?)

Bitter about everything .... but he wasn't as mean spirited as one of the other TOS cast members turned out to be. Ah well ... such is life.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2002, 03:57 AM

Question: In the episode "The trouble with the tribbles" which door was it that Kirk opened and got the Tribbles dumped on his head?

I think it was the middle door, but my friend thinks it was the door on the right?

And what was that a door to? I say it's a storage bay based on the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribulations" but my friend says it's a "replicator repair access door (RRAD)" and that DS9 screwed up the timeline.

Please help.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by driven:
Question: In the episode "The trouble with the tribbles" which door was it that Kirk opened and got the Tribbles dumped on his head?

I think it was the middle door, but my friend thinks it was the door on the right?

And what was that a door to? I say it's a storage bay based on the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribulations" but my friend says it's a "replicator repair access door (RRAD)" and that DS9 screwed up the timeline.

Please help.
I think a line from MST 3K would be helpful in this scenario:

"Just repeat to yourself: 'It's just a show, I should really just relax'. "

dickdog
Banned
Nov 27, 2002, 10:44 AM

Trekies has one K
oh my god are you serious? i am going to church on sunday to pray to god that i soon become such a dork that i remember that! how could i have actually mispelled a word that only corny star trek lovers would memorize?

hold on... i think i am about to get beamed up...

Nonsuch  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2002, 10:55 AM

Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher) said the script kicked major butt
Yeah, I recall. Too bad his role got cut!
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2002, 11:39 AM

I will probably go and see it. One thing I would like to see (which hasn't happened in a VERY long time) are some serious battles. That's what made Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan so amazing. You see Kirk get his ass handed to him by Khan (after some character building) then Kirk tricks Khan, but is still outmatched, but after some combat, Kirk "wins", but looses a friend in the process.

And to think, some people don't even know about the link from Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan and the original series...

Ugh, I know too much about Star Trek

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:

You sure about that? That would stink; I was looking forward to seeing that scene.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2002, 12:39 PM

I think a line from MST 3K would be helpful in this scenario:

"Just repeat to yourself: 'It's just a show, I should really just relax'. "
No-one caught on to that Saturday night live episode? (Whoops ...)

You were supposed to reply "You ... have you ever kissed a girl? Move out of your parents house .... GET A LIFE!" <GRIN>

Nonsuch  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2002, 01:11 PM

You sure about that? That would stink; I was looking forward to seeing that scene.
He mentioned it in his blog a couple months ago. That doesn't mean the sequence won't end up in the extra features on the DVD, of course (I imagine it would).

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 01:36 PM

I'm gonna go on opening night, just so that I can be a 'dork' in your eyes. It'll be my pleasure.

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 27, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:

he had one line, yes that got cut but he is still in the movie in the background for the opening scene.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2002, 03:15 PM

he had one line, yes that got cut but he is still in the movie in the background for the opening scene.
Wait a sec!! Isn't he supposed to be travelling inter-dimensionally manipulating space and time??? ...You know what I mean

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 27, 2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:

Wait a sec!! Isn't he supposed to be travelling inter-dimensionally manipulating space and time??? ...You know what I mean
Ya but he showed up for the wedding.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2002, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Parvulesco:
Alexander.

I used to be a big Star Trek fan, but it looks like the best days of the franchise are behind it.

I really liked the original series and the movies with the original crew. TNG and DS9 were decent
follow ons, but they weren't quite as good as the original. I personally prefer DS9 to TNG because
DS9 had many more humorous episodes.

I can't stand Voyager or Enterprise. Both seem to be more about ratings than about story telling.

As far as the movie is concerned, I'm going to go see it, as long as its better than Generations I'll be happy.

--ranga

beb
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 12:29 PM

Well the score sucks bigtime.

Usually, you can expect a couple good, certainly inventive notes from Jerry Goldsmith. But this score is terrible. There is no prevailing theme. Alexander Courage's original theme is interrupted in the title track. The end credits track has a soft beginning to Irving Berlin's Blue Skys which then jumps headfirst into Courage's theme. It just doesn't work.

The really big problem with trek esp. with the movies is that even if it sucks -at least end the damn thing properly with a continuation of the current scene. The fifth film comes to mind as the example here. End the film with a sweet orchestral version of the row row boat song. Don't jump immediately into this standard brass-based theme crapola. The same goes for Nemesis, end the film with an orchestral version of Blue Skys. Hell, you could even float the camera over a blue nebula as the credits roll.

I guess I don't like Trek because it's just not good filmmaking. It could easily, and should be made better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules