Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?
bthom70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 12:06 PM

I know there are authorized Apple resellers.
I found Electronics Solutions Ltd
15" 1.5 Powerbook for $1256 plus shippingwith Panther.

I need a laptop for Grad school, I start Sept 5. MSIA, Master Science in Information Assurance.
I'm a switcher, and want to add OS X to my skill set. Plus with my degree Info Assurance I need more niddy griddy white hat hacker resources.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 15, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bthom70
I know there are authorized Apple resellers.
I found Electronics Solutions Ltd
15" 1.5 Powerbook for $1256 plus shippingwith Panther.

I need a laptop for Grad school, I start Sept 5. MSIA, Master Science in Information Assurance.
I'm a switcher, and want to add OS X to my skill set. Plus with my degree Info Assurance I need more niddy griddy white hat hacker resources.

according to whois, they have been around, oh...about a week and a half. i'd stay clear.
try dealmac.com if youre looking for a good price on a pb, or just about anything else.

Domain Name: ELECTRONICS-SOLUTIONS-LTD.COM
Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com
Name Server: YNS1.YAHOO.COM
Name Server: YNS2.YAHOO.COM
Updated Date: 06-jul-2005
Creation Date: 06-jul-2005
Expiration Date: 06-jul-2006

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 12:48 PM

Apple sells refurb 15" 1.5 GHz Combo models for $1699. That's less than even the educational price. Any company purporting to sell it for $400 less than that, even if it does come with an earlier OS, is almost certainly going to take the money and run.

Just buy it from the Apple educational store, or else get it refurbed. It's not worth the risk just to get an extra discount.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

bthom70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 01:14 PM

I also did some more digging..
The address is in London. I wonder if the prices should be in £.

I too am skeptical. But would love to find a price cheaper than the 1699 edu price.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 02:42 PM

If your looking for 1699 .. i think you should look at buying used.
And, BTW... if they do sell it at that price.. Apple does price match

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/...pmp_050404.jpg [inline images must not exceed 480 pixels width --tooki]

[removed expired URL]
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 22, 2005 at 04:39 PM. )
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ericssonboi
If your looking for 1699 .. i think you should look at buying used.
And, BTW... if they do sell it at that price.. Apple does price match
The odds are 1000:1 that "Electronic Solutions Ltd" isn't authorized to sell bubble gum, let alone Apple hardware!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 02:57 PM

That Apple Price Matching says UP TO 10% off Apple's price. If the reseller's price is more than 10% below Apple's price, they won't match it.

Besides, it's probably bogus.

FURTHERMORE, that 1256 price is for a 12"... please read carefully. The 17" is above it, priced at $1456, which is even less believable.

bthom70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 04:21 PM

They modified the webpage.
Cuz I found the page on shopping.com by typing in M9676LL/A, which is the model for 15.2"
I did re-read the original webpage before I posted here and it did say 15.2" not 12.1"
It is still listed at shopping.com as 15.2"

Oh well..
I never buy fromjust anyone.
I make sure they are listed under the accrediations they have listed and they are not listed under epinions. but are at shopping.com

Ce la vie

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 03:01 PM

No problem at all.

Using an escrow service puts the onus of fraud on them. Check out escrow.com, now an eBay company.

That's how I got my TiPB years ago. I sent escrow.com the money, they told the seller, he shipped it to me with a 24-hour approval window, and I informed escrow.com that it was just fine and they released the money.

NEVER, EVER BUY ANYTHING MORE THAN YOU'RE WILLING TO LOOSE without going through an escrow service. I wanted to eBay my next PB and was stunned to find out that just about 100% of "good deals" refused to tip the scales in my favor and refused to use an escrow service.

No excuses. You don't give me the option to use an escrow service to protect my investment and I go elsewhere. I actually found a great deal at the Apple Store online, a refurbished machine with a full warranty and free shipping.

Good luck!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules