Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > recommendations: dock to connect iPod to stereo?

recommendations: dock to connect iPod to stereo?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2006, 12:55 PM

I'm Xmas shopping for my father. He's got a dockable iPod that doesn't play video or have a colour screen (not sure which generation this is, apologies).

I'm looking for recommendations for a system to connect his iPod to his stereo system (which has standard RCA connectors). I've seen several different products, but I can't see a clear difference between them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chas

ps. if this is a FAQ, my apologies, a search on "ipod" and "stereo" brought up a huge number of hits, surprisingly few addressing this issue

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2006, 02:20 AM

radio shack sells adapters that have a male headphone jack at one end and rca connectors at the other. just a few dollars. you may need a couple of female to female rca adapters also. again only a few dollars. does he have a dock? if not one would be in order. any radio shack salesman that has worked there more than 30 days should be able to hook you up.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2006, 05:33 AM

No dock yet, but your answer (much appreciated) begs the question: why am I seeing all of the £40-£60 "iPod to stereo" devices out there? What can they offer that a simple audio patch cable can't?

Hmm...

Thanks for your reply,

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules