Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Gwen Stefani Got A Recording Contract

How Gwen Stefani Got A Recording Contract
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2006, 05:38 PM

I swear, record companies are scraping the bottom of the barrel for recording artists and Gwen Stefani is proof. I'm sure this is how it went:

Record exec: Can you scream into a microphone?
Gwen: Yes

Record exe: Do you naturally sing off key?
Gwen: Yes.

Record exec: Is your closet filled with hooker and whore outfits?
Gwen: Yes.

Record exec: You're hired!!!

And that is how Gwen Stefani got a career.
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 05:40 PM

I don't know if you're aware of this, but No Doubt has actually been around for a decade or two now. I also happen to like their music.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 05:42 PM

No Doubt = not too shabby
Gwen Stefani = Hollaback Girl...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 05:48 PM

I heard the new song of hears and was wondering the same thing.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

brokenjago
Mac Elite

This **** is bananas!

B-a-n-a-n-a-s

Linkinus is king.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

"Hollaback Girl" wasn't really my favorite, but I enjoyed the album as a whole. I bought it when it first came out because I liked No Doubt and took "What You Waiting For?" as a good sign. Haven't heard her new song yet, though.
Chuck
___

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't know if you're aware of this, but No Doubt has actually been around for a decade or two now. I also happen to like their music.
Yes, I am aware of that. Too bad for No Doubt, they've got no talent either and with Gwen's complete LACK of talent, now you know why!

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 05:52 PM

As a devout leg-man, I'm willing to overlook her sometimes annoying trendiness:

Legs...

and more legs.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by gulmatan View Post
Yes, I am aware of that. Too bad for No Doubt, they've got no talent either and with Gwen's complete LACK of talent, now you know why!
I follow your logic.

*cough*

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 05:55 PM

Know why they've sold a lot more albums than most bands? Yeah, I probably do know why.
Chuck
___

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2006, 06:00 PM

Tragic Kingdom is one of the very few albums out there I remember in the 90s era where all of the album's songs have been played on FM radio.
I don't care too much for Gwen's solo career, but No Doubt is quality music IMO.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
This **** is bananas!

B-a-n-a-n-a-s

Everything else aside, I actually paid the 99Ā¢ on the iTMS to voice my support for those two lines. The song was crap, but how can you say no to bananas?

In fact, I think I'll listen to it right now.
( Last edited by nonhuman; Dec 11, 2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: stupid Ā¢ sign...)

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 06:35 PM

Wow, someone has a personal issue here. Why would you just randomly call out Gwen Staphani? See her on SNL this week or something?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2006, 07:54 PM

I'm rather fond of Gwen. I think she's pretty (and often pretty hot!), that she sings quite well, that her performances are also very interesting, and that she's quite a performer. Of course, except for her great, powerful voice, her willingness to push boundaries with music, and her ability to sell millions of records to people who don't judge her based on oddly skewed impressions, she doesn't have anything to speak of.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2006, 08:01 PM

Didn't see her on SNL (I stopped watching after Eddie Murphy and Mike Myers left). I'm not sure why the iTMS is promoting her new collection of NO TALENT screamings and off-key yowling? And if that's what she looks like, she should be whoring herself on some Prostiute Blvd instead of polluting music stores and radio stations with her "How To Be A Whore" musical attempts. And Apple promotes this slut?!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 08:08 PM

I'm detecting jealousy.
Chuck
___

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 08:24 PM

Damn man, you got issues that extend far beyond just not liking Gwen Staphani.

Good luck with all those issues dude.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 08:24 PM

I'm not too impress with her solo career. She needs a better stylist and quit getting into the so-called Japanese culture.

OisĆ­n
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2006, 08:42 PM

Damn man, you got issues that extend far beyond just not liking Gwen Staphani.
This is news to you?

Give gulmatan a mental image of Gwen Stefani playing baseball, and youā€™ll know immediately how World War III starts.

Oh, wait... uh-oh.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2006, 08:46 PM

Now you've done it! Head for the shelters!!!!!!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 08:53 PM

My Robdar is pinging off the scale.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 08:56 PM

The name doesn't sound Rob-ish.
Chuck
___

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2006, 09:04 PM

Well, it hasn't been calibrated recently so it could be a false positive.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2006, 09:43 PM

I'm not a big Gwen fan, and I haven't been into No Doubt since High School, but as far as she goes, I think it's important to state that her albumns have by and large contained a wide range of genres. That's tough for anyone, and I applaud her for being that diverse.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by kc311v2 View Post
Tragic Kingdom is one of the very few albums out there I remember in the 90s era where all of the album's songs have been played on FM radio.
I don't care too much for Gwen's solo career, but No Doubt is quality music IMO.
I agree, In fact, Tragic Kingdom was the first album I ever bought myself. Her solo albums might be bad, but Tragic kingdom had songs like Just a Girl, Spiderwebs, Don't Speak to name a few. I still listen to that album.
AXP
Ī”Ī£Ī¦

andi*pandi
Dec 11, 2006, 10:09 PM

this seems very random.

and tragic kingdom was a great album.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 12:24 AM

Who cares if she sucks, between her and gavin, their kids are set for life.

I wish Bush would make a comeback

marden
Baninated
Dec 12, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm rather fond of Gwen. I think she's pretty (and often pretty hot!), that she sings quite well, that her performances are also very interesting, and that she's quite a performer. Of course, except for her great, powerful voice, her willingness to push boundaries with music, and her ability to sell millions of records to people who don't judge her based on oddly skewed impressions, she doesn't have anything to speak of.
Couldn't have said it better.

"Don't Speak" got my attention back in the day and she has remained eye/ear/mind catching. You never know what she's gonna come up with but it's always worth the time to check it out and often you find it's a big

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 01:03 AM

Oh, so musical artistry and dignity don't matter?! No wonder guitar screeches and off-key howlers are more highly regarded than purely and truly talented artists such as Anastacia, Maysa, Lisa Stansfield, Kate Bush, Dannii and Kylie Minogue, Amy Holland and Miki Howard.
( Last edited by gulmatan; Dec 12, 2006 at 01:10 AM. )

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 01:58 AM

Oh, so musical artistry and dignity don't matter?! No wonder guitar screeches and off-key howlers are more highly regarded than purely and truly talented artists such as Anastacia, Maysa, Lisa Stansfield, Kate Bush, Dannii and Kylie Minogue, Amy Holland and Miki Howard.
So what do you want? Every artist who doesn't appeal to you burned at the stake? Only music you like sold on iTMS? Guess what: there are people out there... who don't have the same taste in music as you! Maybe I like off-key whores. It's none of your damn business.

Now, if you could stop telling people what to enjoy and scuttle back to whatever rock you crawled out from I'd be much obliged.

(For the record, I don't care for Gwen's music or looks at all)
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2006, 02:12 AM

gulmatan quit peeing all over the place man!

Gwen Renee Stefani (born October 3, 1969) is an American pop, rock and dance singer-songwriter, fashion designer and an occasional actress. Stefani made her debut in 1992 as the frontwoman of the third wave ska band No Doubt. The group's third album Tragic Kingdom (1995) propelled them to stardom and sold more than fifteen million copies worldwide. It spawned the singles "Just a Girl", "Spiderwebs", and the airplay number-one "Don't Speak". The band's popularity went into decline with Return of Saturn (2000), but Rock Steady (2001) introduced reggae production into their music, which was generally well-received.
Stefani recorded her first solo album Love. Angel. Music. Baby. in 2004. The album contains pop and dance tracks and influence from hip hop and R&B. Its third single "Hollaback Girl" became the first U.S. digital download to exceed sales of one million and "Cool" was one of 2005's most popular radio singles. The Sweet Escape (2006), Stefani's second solo album, was preceded by the single "Wind It Up". Stefani's Harajuku Lovers Tour was a North American success in 2005; she will embark upon a worldwide Sweet Escape Tour beginning in April 2007.

People like her! and they don't like youuuu!
ice

marden
Baninated
Dec 12, 2006, 02:29 AM

There's no zero sum game being played here. All of those you mentioned can become as popular as Stefani. But that depends on their expression. If what they say or how they say it resonates with enough people their sales will reflect it.

The fact that you know who they are and appreciate them should be enough for you. It clearly isn't.

There are people who sometimes find themselves saying these words: "But why don't you love me?"

And the answer in that case is the same answer to why Stefani is popular and the artists you list seem to be less so.

She just doesn't. She just is. They just aren't.

Rolls Royce will never sell as many cars as Toyota.

Rolls Royce loves being who they are.

Would you have them change so that they could rival Toyota's sales numbers?

Why?

volcano
Senior User
Dec 12, 2006, 02:33 AM

Wow. You've got some issues, man.

If you don't like her, then don't listen to her music. It's simple as that, really. There's no need to increase your blood pressure by creating a rant on a Mac-related forum on the internet.

I wanted to bash my head in last year because 'Hollaback Girl' was overplayed, but it's been nearly a year now and those wounds have healed. I can actually listen to that song once again.

She might not have an 'amazing' voice, but her voice is unique, and so is her music. You might think all of her singles are garbage, but even songs like 'Hollaback Girl' that were overplayed were a completely different style and sound of music compared to the other crap being played. The oddity of her singles are the reason they become such big hits.

I wasn't a fan of 'Wind it Up'... it took a while before I liked it. Now I'm hooked. 'Yummy' will be another hit of hers in the next few months.

But like I stated earlier... if you don't like her, don't listen to her and support her music. Are you going to make a thread stating how much you loathe Fergie next? Please do. Entertain me.

marden
Baninated
Dec 12, 2006, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Wow. You've got some issues, man.

If you don't like her, then don't listen to her music. It's simple as that, really. There's no need to increase your blood pressure by creating a rant on a Mac-related forum on the internet.

I wanted to bash my head in last year because 'Hollaback Girl' was overplayed, but it's been nearly a year now and those wounds have healed. I can actually listen to that song once again.

She might not have an 'amazing' voice, but her voice is unique, and so is her music. You might think all of her singles are garbage, but even songs like 'Hollaback Girl' that were overplayed were a completely different style and sound of music compared to the other crap being played. The oddity of her singles are the reason they become such big hits.

I wasn't a fan of 'Wind it Up'... it took a while before I liked it. Now I'm hooked. 'Yummy' will be another hit of hers in the next few months.

But like I stated earlier... if you don't like her, don't listen to her and support her music. Are you going to make a thread stating how much you loathe Fergie next? Please do. Entertain me.
Fergielicious is a GREAT song and a fun video!

I really like it!

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 02:58 AM

He doesn't have issues. Gwen Stefani's music sucks.

Though bleating about it doesn't make much sense, considering it's not the only pop out there. And we all know pop is everywhere.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 03:33 AM

Ā 
Wait, you're talking about howling and screeching and then you give the thumbs-up to Anastacia? Eh, if you think Anastacia choking out "One Day In Your Life" is somehow more artistic than Gwen howling "Bubble Pop Electric," I guess you're welcome to your opinion. But to me, this just sounds like elitist pretension. Bob Dylan is almost universally recognized as one of the greats, but he's technically one of the shittiest singers ever to touch a microphone. Gwen is not an opera singer, and she's not even one of the best singers of recent years, but that doesn't mean she's bad or untalented. Dannii Minogue is toneless, generic Britpop to my ears, but I suppose somebody must enjoy that stuff.

Oh, but Fergie does suck, and anybody who disagrees is wrong. BEP + Fergie = enjoyable but stupid. Fergie - BEP = stupid.
Chuck
___

marden
Baninated
Dec 12, 2006, 03:37 AM

Ā 
Wait, you're talking about howling and screeching and then you give the thumbs-up to Anastacia? Eh, if you think Anastacia choking out "One Day In Your Life" is somehow more artistic than Gwen howling "Bubble Pop Electric," I guess you're welcome to your opinion. But to me, this just sounds like elitist pretension. Bob Dylan is almost universally recognized as one of the greats, but he's technically one of the shittiest singers ever to touch a microphone. Gwen is not an opera singer, and she's not even one of the best singers of recent years, but that doesn't mean she's bad or untalented. Dannii Minogue is toneless, generic Britpop to my ears, but I suppose somebody must enjoy that stuff.

Oh, but Fergie does suck, and anybody who disagrees is wrong. BEP + Fergie = enjoyable but stupid. Fergie - BEP = stupid.
This reminds me of the old Little Rascals episode where Darla's family is celebrating her Dad's birthday when some of the boys stop by and at some point begin arguing who is better, Superman or Batman.

Bottom line is this...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
This reminds me of the old Little Rascals episode where Darla's family is celebrating her Dad's birthday when some of the boys stop by and at some point begin arguing who is better, Superman or Batman.

Bottom line is this...
Exactly. Bottom line is, when I listen to Fergie's music, I want to go .
Chuck
___

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 05:00 AM

Too bad for you! I'm still here!!!

OisĆ­n
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2006, 06:18 AM

Excuse me while I roll around on the floor laughing for a while.

You might (just might, possibly, conceivably) have had a tiny bit of a point if youā€™d left out some of those, especially Anastacia and Dannii (who are both talentless hacks)ā€”but with those on the list, itā€™s just empty blather.

marden
Baninated
Dec 12, 2006, 07:04 AM

Exactly. Bottom line is, when I listen to Fergie's music, I want to go .
I get the feeling you just want to fight with me.

Bottom line, we BOTH like No Doubt & Gwen Stefani.

Can't fight the feeling.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by OisĆ­n View Post
Excuse me while I roll around on the floor laughing for a while.

You might (just might, possibly, conceivably) have had a tiny bit of a point if youā€™d left out some of those, especially Anastacia and Dannii (who are both talentless hacks)
What on earth are you going on about man? Dannii is obviously completely talentless, but Anastacia? That girl got talent.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 12, 2006, 08:26 AM

Equate Kate Bush to people like that again and I will hunt you down and feed your eyeballs to rabbits.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by gulmatan
truly talented artists such as Anastacia, Maysa, Lisa Stansfield, Kate Bush, Dannii and Kylie Minogue, Amy Holland and Miki Howard.
Anastacia - good
Maysa - never heard of her
Lisa Stansfield - okay
Kate Bush - excellent
Danii Minogue - crap
Kilie Minogue - had a few good songs, mostly crap
Amy Holland - who?
Miki Howard - what?

As for Gwen Stefani, I'm embarrassed to say I sort of like her. Can't stand that latest (?) song she did, though, the one she's yodeling in. I mean, wtf? Yodeling? What's up with that?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
As for Gwen Stefani, I'm embarrassed to say I sort of like her. Can't stand that latest (?) song she did, though, the one she's yodeling in. I mean, wtf? Yodeling? What's up with that?
What one needs to understand is that Gwen Stefani is actually insane. Not just acting insane, but actually really properly out to lunch.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 09:30 AM

Who are you, so know-it-all music expert, or just one of the millions of fools spouting their uninformed opinions as if it ascually was a fact?

Stefani/No Doubt has a unique sound in a mass of bland bands with screamers, heavy metal druggies, and the trash mouth rappers that all sound unimaginative and boring.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
heavy metal druggies
*cough*

Most metallers don't do drugs (well, other than beer). We're not hippies, you know.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
Equate Kate Bush to people like that again and I will hunt you down and feed your eyeballs to rabbits.
Thank you. Kate has talent, style, and a voice that doesn't quit. While I am not always happy with every one of her songs (and I still am trying to find HER original version of Wuthering Heights because all I can find is one where she pushes the envelope too much), she explores some pretty interesting things. I absolutely love Deal With God.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2006, 10:11 AM

As good as Don't Speak is (and I have wonderful acoustic version of it), I still think Sunday Morning is my favorite song off Tragic Kingdom.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
*cough*

Most metallers don't do drugs (well, other than beer). We're not hippies, you know.
Well some do like their pot and speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules