Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Creating Firefox Sessions

Creating Firefox Sessions
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2009, 12:14 AM

Hi all,

How do I save a Firefox session of tabs so that I can open that seesion when I need to **rather than** the next time I open Firefox? As Firefox is now, the session automatically loads when I open the app and thus, I am forced to wait until all tabs/windows load even if I just wanted to run a quick single session.
( Last edited by gulmatan; Feb 17, 2009 at 12:35 AM. )
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2009, 12:29 AM

I found this add-on but don't know if it's what you want:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2009, 01:00 AM

Hi all,
Thanks for the tip. If anyone here has used the add-on, please walk me through a step-by-step instruction. I tried, as all Mac software is operable by instinct and logical thinking, to use the add-on and it has left me frustrated. So, if anyone knows how to use the Session Manager add-on, please walk me through it.
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

Curiosity
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 01:08 AM

You can bookmark a group of tabs, and open them all when you need them by choosing the last item in the folder where they are ("Open All In Tabs").

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2009, 01:19 AM

After you install that add-on you'll find its menu inside of the Tools menu. The options there are pretty self-explanatory, but if you have a specific question you'll let me know.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2009, 05:37 AM

Tab Mix Plus is another alternative.

However, none of them work anywhere near as well as OmniWeb's Workspaces... more than 5 years since they first debuted. Sigh.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2009, 10:45 AM

When you quit Firefox with multiple tabs open, by default it asks you if you want to save the session. If you've disabled this option, go to the Tabs panel in Firefox Preferences and check the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" box (the top checkbox).

Will that do what you want?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2009, 11:49 AM

The OP also wants to be able to restore sessions whenever he wants to do so, not just when starting the browser.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2009, 01:16 PM

It looks like my advice wasn't all that great anyway-I just tried it and did not get the results I wanted, just a warning that multiple tabs would be closed. There is a dialog that offers to save the STATE of the session, I just haven't found it yet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
You can bookmark a group of tabs, and open them all when you need them by choosing the last item in the folder where they are ("Open All In Tabs").
This seems like the way to go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules