Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Decent Hulu Playback on ATV

Decent Hulu Playback on ATV
selowitch
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2009, 10:23 PM

I'm a real fan of Hulu Desktop for Mac and it runs great on my iMac with an approximately 5mbps downstream connection. Sadly, however, when viewing the same Hulu feeds on AppleTV via Boxee, I get a choppy, unwatchable mess. Now, part of that is due to the fact that the ATV is on wireless, but it can't all be that. Some of the issue is clearly software based. So what's the best way to do Hulu on AppleTV, short of installing the full MacOS on the thing?

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2009, 12:17 AM

I don't think that you can fix it. I just bought an apple tv & installed boxee. I get the choppy frame rate. From all that I've read, it is a limitation of the hardware. IIRC, the apple tv comes with 256 megs of Ram & the apple tv software, plus the Hulu video stream plus the Boxee software runs at something like 105% of the available Ram, so it will always be choppy for playback.

Love my apple tv & am glad I got it, but I do wish hulu would run on it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2009, 01:05 AM

If tv could use Hulu efficiently, I'd buy one instantly. But alas.

As a side note, Hulu Desktop downloaded an update today, now it uses 60-80% CPU and 400MB of RAM... sigh.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2009, 08:13 AM

Yeah, forget decent frame rates with the current ATV hardware.
In that respect you'd need a mini.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules