Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wi-Fi for an iMac Rev B

Wi-Fi for an iMac Rev B
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 06:34 AM

I'm about to set up a wireless network for my parents that will include an iMac Rev B (no airport card capability).

My immediate thought was that I'd just go buy a USB 802.11b adapter (either Netgear, Linksys, or D-link), but then I considered that they might not work plug and play with OS X.

So, what works plug-n-play with either OS 9 or X for USB? Does anyone know if the Netgear MA111 or comperable devices work on macs?

What are people's suggestions for bringing this iMac onto the wireless network in the most cost effective way possible?
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 09:34 AM

Check the manufacturer's web sites to see if their usb-wireless adapters have OS X drivers. If they don't, they probably won't work. I think MacSense might have one that works.

Another alternative, which is slightly more expensive, but a whole lot more flexible is a wireless-to-ethernet bridge. These require NO drivers, and once configured, you can plug any ethernet device into them just as if they were a hub. (In fact you can uplink them to a hub and connect more than one wired device to your wireless lan at once, subject to bandwidth sharing.)

Linksys makes two of these devices, the WET11 and the WET54G, the former being 802.11b and the latter 802.11g. D-Link makes similar devices.

I have a WET-11 which works just great with my daughter's Rev. B iMac, and the beauty of it is that I can also use it to connect any other computers I or a friend brings home without installing drivers or configuring.

The only disadvantage is that it is TCP/IP only. I.e., it does not support classic AppleTalk. This is of no significance unless you are using system software prior to OS 9 or need to share an appletalk printer.

By the way, many if not most of the USB to wireless adapters likewise do not support Appletalk.

Hous68
Dec 2, 2003, 04:22 PM

It looks like Belkin has a model with MacOSX drivers:
Click here

The refurb price of $22.49 seems pretty reasonable too.
Peace. Love. MacOSX.

bink
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Hous68:
It looks like Belkin has a model with MacOSX drivers:
Click here

The refurb price of $22.49 seems pretty reasonable too.
This product does work. I am using it at present with a rev. D (333mhz) imac running 10.2.6 and it works fine.

good luck.....Rich

Forum Links
Forum Rules