Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Newb (?): Too many disk icons on desktop!

Newb (?): Too many disk icons on desktop!
Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 05:05 PM

I just got my first Mac, a 12" PB 10 days ago, and everything's great. There's this one thing bugging me though. When I insert a CD/DVD/-R/-RW I get an icon for it on my desktop, however whenever the disk's name changes (through iTunes looking up it's title on CDDB or me choosing a name or it to be burnt as etc...) I get another icon, and the original one stays put. So I have 2 icons for one disk! This isn't a big problem, just kinda annoying. Solutions anyone?

Cheers,
Fozz.
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 09:48 PM

I totally didn't read the post. Nevermind.
( Last edited by wataru; Aug 20, 2004 at 03:39 AM. )

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 03:01 AM

Some discs have 2 sessions, an audio and a data session.

What you may be seeing is the two sessions, they show up as 2 separate discs.

Usually the data section of an audio CD will have things like music videos, interviews, etc.

One disc/icon will be named by CDDB, the other will use the volume name of the CD or a generic name.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2004, 11:15 PM

Are you asking how to turn off showing all the disks on the desktop?

If so, you simply click on the Finder menu in the menu bar (you will have to make sure the Finder is the currently active app by clicking on a empty area on the desktop), and then click on preferences. Go under "General" and check/uncheck the items you want listed on your desktop.

Mike

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
Are you asking how to turn off showing all the disks on the desktop?

If so, you simply click on the Finder menu in the menu bar (you will have to make sure the Finder is the currently active app by clicking on a empty area on the desktop), and then click on preferences. Go under "General" and check/uncheck the items you want listed on your desktop.

Mike
You didn't read his post either.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2004, 12:10 AM

I've noticed this as well, but I just eject the first disk (with the untitled cd name) and then the only disk image left is the updated one with the names from the CDDB. Usually this works but I've had it not "eject" the first name before before. I don't remember what I did when that happened...

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2004, 12:38 AM

I experience this as well..

if I burn a CD, then eject it, the untitled 'CDR' still remains. I must then drag it to the trash, eject it, and it's gone.

rather annoying, and I've heard of quite a few other users experiencing this as well. I believe it came in some time around mid-Jaguar for me.
ice

Fozz_uk  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2004, 05:55 AM

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, sorry about the confusing subject line. Kinda wierd that a Jaguar bug would still be around in 10.3.5 but it's not a big deal... At least RayX has given a legitimate reaon for it to happen with audio-cds. Thanks.
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

Forum Links
Forum Rules