Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5, airport questions and clarification...

G5, airport questions and clarification...
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2003, 08:59 AM

Please explain this to me. I'm flummaxed. So I get the G5 next week. Can I add a standard airport card to the G5 and Voila?! or is there an antennae I need to plug in. Can I use an airport extreme card with old base station or can I use an old airport card in the new G5? Is there anything else I'm going to need to connect this G5 to my basestation???
ebuddy

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 18, 2003, 09:28 AM

Crazy idea: check the G5 page on Apple's website.

tooki

AngryAngel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 09:52 AM

The G5 has an AE card slot. It cannot take an older Airport card. You have to plug in the supplied antenna into the back of the G5 for Airport to work.

Airport Extreme uses 802.11g and is backwards compatible with 802.11b (Airport) at 802.11b speeds (i.e. 11Mbps max.).

So if you had a 802.11b basestation (it doesn't have to be from Apple), you could connect your G5 using an Airport Extreme card, but it would run at 11Mbps.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2003, 07:58 AM

Thanx a million angry angel. I kind of wanted to hear from a Machead whether or not this is currently working for them and since no one reported a problem... I got what I needed. Hey Spooki- Often times, a website may claim one thing and folks that have issues with it post here. If someone had an issue with backwards compatibility for example, it may have been brought up here. I post here because when I'm not producing music, reading email, downloading photos, and checking my G5 order, I'm sitting here posting and reading posts. So Tookispookie-if you don't have anything to offer other than "go to Apple's website" then perhaps you should reply to other posts. If we can talk about hurricane Isabelle, we can talk about airport compatibility and the G5. Thanx.
ebuddy

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by ebuddy:
Thanx a million angry angel. I kind of wanted to hear from a Machead whether or not this is currently working for them and since no one reported a problem... I got what I needed. Hey Spooki- Often times, a website may claim one thing and folks that have issues with it post here. If someone had an issue with backwards compatibility for example, it may have been brought up here. I post here because when I'm not producing music, reading email, downloading photos, and checking my G5 order, I'm sitting here posting and reading posts. So Tookispookie-if you don't have anything to offer other than "go to Apple's website" then perhaps you should reply to other posts. If we can talk about hurricane Isabelle, we can talk about airport compatibility and the G5. Thanx.
Rather rash I'd say.....
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

Forum Links
Forum Rules