Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP! Tiger broke my keyboard commands during startup.

HELP! Tiger broke my keyboard commands during startup.
euphras
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 10:28 AM

Like the title says, after a clean install of "Tiger" i´m unable to use keyboard commands during startup. I cannot start in single user or verbose mode, cannot zap the PRAM or force the computer to start from a known-good boot disk. I have tried to boot and set keyboard commands without any peripherals, but no effects. Is it maybe a symptom for hardware failure? Has anybody else experienced this issue after install of "Tiger"?

BTW, after startup the machine is just fine, no probs

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 02:36 PM

Try holding down the option key on startup. Do you get the screen to choose the startup drive or do you get a password screen? If you get the password screen then you have enabled the OpenFirmware password and this prevents ALL startup keystrokes from working. This is so that no one else can boot into single user mode or target disk mode and just copy the data off your computer.

If you don't get the password screen then I have no idea why the rest of the keys don't work on boot. Oh, wait... did you get a Bluetooth keyboard recently?
--Laurence

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the reply!!! I posted this in three Mac fora and got no answers til now! It is exactly as you described it, if i press "option" i get to a blue screen with a lock symbol and a bar where i can type my password into. After a little crunching the machine gives me the option to select a startup partition. Do you know how i can get rid of that?

Again: Thanks a lot for your reply! I really thought, my machine is screwed up

edit: no Bluetooth here around, it´s a 667 MHz Tibook DVI without BT.
( Last edited by euphras; May 19, 2005 at 05:44 AM. )

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Forum Links
Forum Rules