Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Contemplating Ubuntu

Contemplating Ubuntu
selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 09:50 PM

I got a new iMac Core Duo so I can finally retire my G4 450 (AGP Graphics). I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu Server on the latter machine, perhaps adding KDE and Kontacts to share my contact info among the other Macs on my home network. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this? I basically want to get out of paying for .Mac --- is it worth it?

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2006, 11:49 PM

If your time is free, yes. If you could make more than a few cents an hour out of your time probably not.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer
If your time is free, yes. If you could make more than a few cents an hour out of your time probably not.
So bite the bullet and get .Mac, eh?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?
If you're asking about getting KDE on Ubuntu, you can go several routes:

1. Install Kubuntu.
2. Install Ubuntu, but add 'kubuntu-desktop'. This will give you a fully functional KDE desktop that you can use alongside GNOME. I would highly recommend aptitude instead of apt-get. Instructions here.
3. If you simply need Kontact, you can install it by itself and all of the dependencies will be installed along with it.

Then you can go from there and install your syncing tools.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 01:26 PM

So bite the bullet and get .Mac, eh?
It's cheap, it's easy, it'll work with next to no effort. You can set up some of the same things using open source software, but it'll take time, tinkering, and constant maintenance. Me? I'm a lazy ass and technology stopped being sexy after the release of "Virtual Valerie 2", so I'd do .mac. What may be right for me, may not be right for you.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 10:25 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules