Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Beryl on a Mac

Beryl on a Mac
Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 10, 2007, 04:01 PM

Is anyone running Beryl with Bootcamp?

Also, is Berly available for Ubuntu on a PPC or as a window manager for X11 on OS X either on PPC or Intel?
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

post_break
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2007, 04:04 PM

God I wish beryl was ported to mac...

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 10, 2007, 06:49 PM

Needs an X server supporting AiGLX. This makes it theoretically possible for the following (using a native Linux installation)
Intel Macs with integrated graphics.
Intel Macs with NVidia Graphics (ie the Mac Pro with the GF 7300 - needs NVidia's closed-source driver)
PPC Macs with newer ATI Radeon video cards (only those supported by the open-source drivers from X.org)

In the not currently possible category:
Apple's X11: no AIGLX support.
Intel Macs with ATI graphics: only work with ATI's closed-source drivers that don't support AIGLX*
PPC Macs with NVidia Graphics: closed-source driver is x86-only.

* Actually, there is a project called XGL which theoretically will run Beryl as well, even without AIGLX. Getting a working build of XGL however is just about impossible. My attempt on an MBP C2D was utterly unsuccessful. Frankly, Linux support for the C2D MBP is miserable in general.

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
Apr 11, 2007, 01:50 PM

Unbelievable. We have already had a Unix with modern GUI for six years on the Mac, but no Beryl ported to Mac Linux distros. Leopard's coming within 8 weeks so I hope the secret sauce is good.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 12, 2007, 08:24 AM

Well to be fair, many Linux users aren't in any better shape, and Beryl as such is barely 2-years old. Though it should be easier on OS X, since AiGLX should be easily translatable into Quartz 3D. That said, if Apple had chosen the less modern GUI early on (namely X11), we wouldn't have this problem.

tavin64
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2007, 04:29 PM

If you have an Macbook, Compiz runs better than Beryl because of its drivers. I installed both Ubuntu on my macbook with the crappy intel graphics and on an acer laptop with an ati X700 card and then installed both beryl and compiz. Beryl ran better with XGL on the radeon card but it still did not compare to the smoothness of Compiz on the macbook.

The reason why Apple X11 does not support AIGLX is because its based on XFREE86 instead of Xorg. Xorg 7.1+ has native support for AIGLX. Honestly XFREE86 no longer compares to Xorg in terms of functionality. Xorg has surpassed it for a while now. Apple should switch to Xorg for Leopard but I highly doubt that will happen.

And as far as Beryl vs Compiz soon enough it will no longer matter since they are merging. Compiz will handle the core of it while Beryl will be used to add more effects.
( Last edited by tavin64; Apr 22, 2007 at 04:35 PM. )

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 04:24 AM

I have Beryl running on Feisty PPC after being unimpressed with Compiz. Both could use some work as there is some artifacting and sluggish effects on my PowerBook G4. The sluggishness almost reminds me of OS X 10.0.x...

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
Apr 25, 2007, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949 View Post
I have Beryl running on Feisty PPC after being unimpressed with Compiz. Both could use some work as there is some artifacting and sluggish effects on my PowerBook G4. The sluggishness almost reminds me of OS X 10.0.x...
How do you set it up? Is it available with apt? Is it sluggish because it lacks full GPU acceleration or requires a very high end graphics card?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
Leopard's coming within 8 weeks so I hope the secret sauce is good.
Maybe you haven't heard. Leopard isn't coming until October.

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
Apr 25, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Maybe you haven't heard. Leopard isn't coming until October.
Check the date I posted that against news of the renewed release date.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...ctober-2007-a/

One day earlier.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2007, 04:01 PM

I humbly apologize.

inkhead
Senior User
Apr 25, 2007, 11:47 PM

Anyone have compiz working on Intel? I just want a Ubuntu build with whichever one is the latest greatest eye-candy features to run on my MacBook Pro

tavin64
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2007, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead View Post
Anyone have compiz working on Intel? I just want a Ubuntu build with whichever one is the latest greatest eye-candy features to run on my MacBook Pro
Since you have a Macbook Pro Beryl with XGL would be more suited to run with Ubuntu using Bootcamp because of drivers. Just download any version of version of Ubuntu you like (i prefer Xubuntu) and install the ATI drivers with envy and then configure XGL to run on top of your xorg session. Just follow these faqs in order:

1. Install Ubuntu or any of its variants.
2. Install envy http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvid...buntu5_all.deb
3. Configure XGL https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/Xgl
4. Install Beryl https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BerylOnFeisty

This is assuming you are using Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty). This will not work is you are trying to run Ubuntu on Parallels or VMWare.

For MacBook: Use Compiz with AIGLX as the intel open source drivers are excellent.

1. Install Ubuntu or any of its variants.
2. Configure AIGLX https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...er/AIGLXOnEdgy
3. Install Compiz https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...stallingCompiz
( Last edited by tavin64; Apr 28, 2007 at 03:08 AM. )

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
How do you set it up? Is it available with apt? Is it sluggish because it lacks full GPU acceleration or requires a very high end graphics card?
You can get it from Add/Remove under System Tools. The manager appears in the status tray and right clicking will give you a menu to select your preferred window manager (Beryl, Compiz, Metacity).

It's somewhat buggy in that window borders sometimes disappear and open windows in other desktops will be misplaced. Sometimes it will work "great" and other times it won't. The graphics card is on a YMMV basis. The PowerBook G4 seems to be well-supported. I'm typing this on a six year old Dell Inspiron and can tell you that Beryl is largely hit and miss here as well.

When it does work the effects are pretty sweet, especially the desktop cube (hold down on your scroll wheel and drag).

maconlysource
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 11:10 AM

I have installed a duel boot with PCLinuxOS on my dualcore iMac and have ALL the Beryl effects running very well.

PCLinuxOS has a config option for Beryl.

Forum Links
Forum Rules